Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

mattfink

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
There were several NOS 1900s polka dot workshirts at one booth. (These are the shirts that fetch thousands of bucks on eBay.) After looking over them closely, I reluctantly concluded that the cotton was very cheap, the dyes were blotchy, and the stitching was uneven. In other words, they were kinda junky. The fact is that the reproductions of these particular shirts are MUCH better made than the originals themselves. (Or at least the originals that I saw.)

I couldn't wear a shirt that cost $1,000...I'd shred it for sure. Good repro is the way to go.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
mike said:
Between the color and black and white photos, these could be the same women 35 years later or so...!

Thanks guys, you're awesome. These are great! Love the "ideal" girl. Got to get a matching jacket for my dungarees. That last one looks like an early movie test. I see a 1912 unreleased silent "Betty the Farmerette" on imdb.
I also found a gallery of "farmerettes" from 1918, although I can't get the webpage to pull up. The outfits are not as styling as the War Years ones though, just white shirts and overalls.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
There were several NOS 1900s polka dot workshirts at one booth. (These are the shirts that fetch thousands of bucks on eBay.) After looking over them closely, I reluctantly concluded that the cotton was very cheap, the dyes were blotchy, and the stitching was uneven. In other words, they were kinda junky. The fact is that the reproductions of these particular shirts are MUCH better made than the originals themselves. (Or at least the originals that I saw.)

Like this? So possibly a homemade one today would actually look pretty authentic.

Doug C

Practically Family
Mysterious Mose said:
Her cap looks like a flat (as in not an eight piece) newsboy/drivers cap with her hair bunched up underneath.
cap.jpg

Wow, the bill on that particular cap looks great.. is there a name for such a bill? Normally on newsboys the bill is nearly hidden. This one looks extended a little and uniquely curved.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that perspective Marc.

Doug C

Practically Family
If any of you ladies would be interested in a denim Navy style jacket, I came across this one. It has a shawl collar and a cool jumper style "cape" for lack of a better description. Nowhere near authentic, but could probably pass for workwear sort of. PM me if interested.

mattfink

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Try $7,000.

Even a repro with the Stifel dots fabric will cost a bit of scratch. I think you need 2.5 yards of fabric for shirt. My tailor will pop a shirt off for me for about $100. Plus finding buttons will run about $150+.

Doug C

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
That's an English flat cap.
Made by Old Town, in England.BT

Thanks BT - Might look into getting one. Who are some of the places that sell them ? I assume a repro would be available somewhere..

mike

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
I thought he meant that it costs a lot of money-
Sorry, Mike.;)

B
T

lol I hadn't thought how infinitely that line is open to interpretation! I was just meaning in a silly, non-scumbaggy kind of way: take your time, don't rush :p

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
Is this shaped like the Old Town one? You could always shape the brim to curl.

wool_01.jpg

wool_10.jpg

lin_01.jpg
lin_02.jpg

hat people

Yeah, but no...

Still, the Old town cap has Dutch Boy cap influences. Yours are much more Dutch cap than English driver
Dutch cap:
Hat%205.jpg

English cap:
AAAAAp9qyQgAAAAAAErguA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner