Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resizing Patterns

Shirin

A-List Customer
I searched the site using the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for so I'm starting this thread hoping somebody can share their knowledge and experience.
Ok, so I have a few vintage patterns I need to size UP. I saw the online tutorial about how to size them (make a copy-cut-draw-cut,blah, blah, blah) but I'm having a hard time trying to locate paper wide and long enough to copy my patterns on. I thought I heard or read that I should use paper for drafting but I have no idea where in world I would find that, or perhaps there is something else? I did make some copies of a few cape patterns onto some tissue paper but I'm nervous the stuff will rip when I go to use it.
Anybody wanna share expertise? Please?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just use newspapers and tape them together if they aren't long enough. Since I always test it out on muslin, I throw out the newspaper copy once I've got the muslin fitting right and use the muslin as the actual pattern.

The Shirt

Practically Family
The tracing paper for drafting is available at most art stores (maybe not Micheals or JoAnns though). Blick Art stores has it online as well. Comes in white or yellow usually. I like it because it is relatively sturdy and you can get a very wide roll if you choose. Get the rolls not the sheets for the most economy. Sometimes they call it "bumwad". But not in England. They looked at me in disbelief when I asked for it at an art store. :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I usually use Swedish tracing paper from birchstreetclothing.com or the grid pellon from JoAnn's for that kind of thing.

If my pattern is too wide for the paper, then I just pin a piece on to it and then sew it together.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
I usually use Swedish tracing paper from birchstreetclothing.com or the grid pellon from JoAnn's for that kind of thing.

If my pattern is too wide for the paper, then I just pin a piece on to it and then sew it together.

Interesting. Where would I find this "grid pellon"? Is it in Notions?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
It was with the interfacing last time I bought it, which was about a year ago.

It is called Pellon 810 Tru-grid, they have it on Joann.com, but you have to buy a whole bolt I think. Unfortunately, their cheap muslin is probably less expensive. It is nice stuff though, I actually like it better than Swedish tracing paper. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Shirin said:
Interesting. Where would I find this "grid pellon"? Is it in Notions?
Pellon is a brand name. Most fabric stores have other brands, also, at varying costs. It can range from $1.59-3.00 per yard. It's generally with the by-the-yard interfacing.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I just picked up some "pellon" with grid at Joann's. Seems it is in stock, but behind the counter- I didn't realized it was there, I just had to ask.

Now a problem - where is the tutorial on pattern grading?

Anybody?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80