Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant style...

Jovan

Suspended
Just got hired at the local diner-ish restaurant/bakery as a host. Would it be completely out of my league to wear a tie and long sleeved shirt there? No one else seems to, and everyone else is donning short sleeved white shirts. Dunno if it would make me stand out or make me confused as the manager. I'm sure they'll say it's okay, but I just want an opinion from anyone experienced working at these type of places or anyone in general.

Thanks.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
First of all Congrats!

I am going to perhaps be the lone voice here....but thats what I do.

Have they told you the dress code? and secondly have you asked them what you should wear?

IF not....do not pass go, do not proceed forward with wearing what you -think- is fitting.

GO ask and clear it with the management or owner and -then- within the 'uniform' they wish to have portray their establishment to the public, dress to the top level of that.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
First of all Congrats!

I am going to perhaps be the lone voice here....but thats what I do.

Have they told you the dress code? and secondly have you asked them what you should wear?

IF not....do not pass go, do not proceed forward with wearing what you -think- is fitting.

GO ask and clear it with the management or owner and -then- within the 'uniform' they wish to have portray their establishment to the public, dress to the top level of that.

Yeah, asking the people you work for rather than asking people on a public forum makes more sense to me.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
Yeah, asking the people you work for rather than asking people on a public forum makes more sense to me.

Echoing Miss Neecerie and Jake Fink - They're exactly right. This is one instance where Loungers' opinion don't count one bit - the only one that counts in this instance is management's.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
If I hired you as a host and you wore shirt sleeves and a tie (and were halfway decent at your job), I'd give you a raise sooner than someone else for the sheer reason that I'd believe you respected the position and establishment.

Jovan

Suspended
Obviously I'll ask them. They seem to be pretty accomodating seeing I've seen people work there with long sleeves or a tie on one or two occasionally. I was just worried I may be out of place in a bad way in a somewhat casual restaurant and being "just" a host.

Beau: Interesting viewpoint.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Why don't you ask them? If they say it's ok, go ahead and wear a long sleeved shirt if they say no, don't. [huh] . That's what I'd do anyway. Good luck with your new job! :)

rongoms

Familiar Face
personally, i'd never wear a short-sleeved dress shirt by CHOICE.

OUr pipe band (www.elliottbaypipeband.com) wears short-sleeved dress shirts and it drive me up the wall.

Buttoned sleeves, tie....you'll not go wrong. The rest of the staff might think you're an elitist.....but what's wrong with that when you're truly better than everyone else??

Jovan

Suspended
rongoms said:
Buttoned sleeves, tie....you'll not go wrong. The rest of the staff might think you're an elitist.....but what's wrong with that when you're truly better than everyone else??
lol

I don't mind short sleeves without a tie, but with one it just... reminds me of grocery store uniforms.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
rongoms said:

OUr pipe band (www.elliottbaypipeband.com) wears short-sleeved dress shirts and it drive me up the wall.

But you see....at work....he doesn't have a CHOICE....he has...'do what the bosses want'......

Now if they are cool with it after he asks them, then all is copacetic....

But otherwise...you dress as your bosses wish you to...especially in the service industry.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rongoms said:
My mother and grandmother hammered it into my head at quite an early age that there is no such thing as a short-sleeved dress shirt. My grandmother went as far as to say something along the lines of those who would wear a short-sleeved shirt with a suit or jacketless to a dressy occasion would be the type to wear clip-on ties...clearly, from her tone of voice, totally unsavory characters.

Jovan

Suspended
The short sleeved dress shirt doesn't exist. The short sleeved shirt does. I think they look fine tucked into pants during the summer or in hot climes, but I will never willingly wear one with a tie.

Often, to the chagrin of traditionalists, I leave the button down collars unfastened on either short or long sleeves when going without a tie. I got away with this when I worked at Barnie's Coffee & Tea (and I suspect I will here), but the trick is to have your shirts pressed so the points don't curl up and all over the place, but rather have a nice roll to them like any non-button down soft collar.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
I do not see a problem at all. You are being hired as a host and should look "a cut above" the rest.
This is my understanding as well. Generally, the front of the room dresses.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
lol

I don't mind short sleeves without a tie, but with one it just... reminds me of grocery store uniforms.

That's actually what I wore when I worked at a grocery store. But without the tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy