Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoration Hardware Aviator/Blackhawk series - grand or goofy?

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Whilst shopping for some cabinet knobs, I ran across some new stuff at the Restoration Hardware store -

5508192752_c96f320bb3.jpg
5508192700_7c8c8f9885.jpg

5507594265_a2a2bbaa82.jpg
5507594329_9dfa803f10.jpg

5508192920_cd0d9941a7.jpg

Clearly designed to evoke 1930s and '40s aviation and streamlining... not quite sure what to think of this yet... [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How would that desk work in a functional environment? I looks like its designed to be in a museum. Not an office with 5 full bookshelves.

The desk chair is decent, but the club chair is very steampunk.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay, question, is that patch metal working actually called lockheed, or is it just sort of a nickname after Lockheed Martin the plane buildin' cumpny? :)

LD

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Okay, question, is that patch metal working actually called lockheed, or is it just sort of a nickname after Lockheed Martin the plane buildin' cumpny? :)

LD

Probably a take-off (pardon the pun) on the aerospace company. I never heard of aluminum-skin aircraft construction referred to as "lockheed," but then again, I could be wrong.

The thing about that desk is that the "wing" is necessary to put the other pieces into context. If you just had one of the sets of drawers, it would probably look more like "airstream trailer"... not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you...

Here's another piece, from a different designer:

5508607822_abd13db04a.jpg

JimWagner

Practically Family
Wasn't there a show on tv a year or two back where some company, I think in Arizona, was making all kinds of custom furniture out of old airplane parts?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm sorry, I couldn't stop laughing if I had that stuff in my house. That's worse than buying Cabela's Mossy Oak living room furniture, bed sheets, pillows, and towels.

Later

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LOVE the chairs. I went to an RH store just to see them and they are smaller than you think but very comfy!

The rest of it is kind of screwy...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The entire line, as well as almost every other line since they did the big changeover last fall, are highly overpriced. They've always been pricey, but this new strategy is nuts. I love the store, or at least as it used to be, but with their new pricing structure (wall clocks at $1000 up as an example), i don't think they'll be around much longer. How many people can afford to go in and blow $25,000 and more for one of their living room lines.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars

LD

Wikipedia says it best:
The Alco Hydro-Aeroplane Company was established in 1912 by the brothers Allan and Malcolm Loughead. This company was renamed the Loughead Aircraft Manufacturing Company and located in Santa Barbara, California.

In 1926, following the failure of Loughead, Allan Loughead formed the Lockheed Aircraft Company (the spelling was changed to match its phonetic pronunciation) in Hollywood, California.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The entire line, as well as almost every other line since they did the big changeover last fall, are highly overpriced. They've always been pricey, but this new strategy is nuts. I love the store, or at least as it used to be, but with their new pricing structure (wall clocks at $1000 up as an example), i don't think they'll be around much longer. How many people can afford to go in and blow $25,000 and more for one of their living room lines.

Indeed. And they've gone to a look for their furniture and stores that says, to me, Early Belgian Hospital for the Criminally Insane." Or that they moved the prisoners out, hosed the place down, and brought in the furniture. Ghastly. If they go under, they deserved it.

It 's an interesting concept for creating a "look." In these times having such a small and specializes niche of a market makes it difficult. I'd say if there was a way to pursue movie set people and get it into a film of note that could really spur some interest.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I’ll be the one to defend Restoration Hardware: In an economy where everyone else has cheapened up their brand to try to appeal to a consumer who perceives himself to be hurting, I’m glad someone has decided to keep or exceed their previous standard.

Everything around here is starting to seem more and more like Wal-Mart.

-Dave

Talbot

One Too Many
Way back in the 60's after they closed the Lake Boga seaplane base there was a local bloke who made fences for his property out of PBY wings. That was striking.

I'm not sure I would look windswept and interesting enough for this stuff, and my rocket backpack is on the blink:p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21