Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro 1930s Lounge in NYC?

TheRetropolitan

New in Town
A long while ago, I was forwarded a job ad looking for lounge-sitters with 1930s-appropriate clothing, for a new retro-style bar/lounge that was opening. (The job involved dressing up in vintage clothing and hanging out X nights a week to give the place an authentic feel in return for some free drinks, if I remember correctly.) This was about two or so years back, but now that it popped into my head, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it. I never caught the name of the place, so I have no idea if it ever even opened at all.

Barring that one, does anyone know of any nice retro-style bars or lounges here in New York? I need a new watering hole.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
I haven't heard of such a place, but would definitely be interested if it existed.

My current favorite bar is "The Brandy Library" (www.brandylibrary.com). It's down in Tribeca and has a fantastic menu of classic cocktails (probably around 40) that no other bar comes close to making and they are made WELL. They've also got around 1400 different scotches, cognacs, bourbons, armangacs, etc. The atmosphere is very chill, they play 1920's and 1930s jazz at a reasonable level so you can have a conversation. Fair warning, it's not cheap, but it's well worth it. I've become friends with the owner and the head bartender and on slow nights he and I used to go through old cocktail books and just make different drinks to try out. It's a fantastic place and I can't recommend it enough.

Another place that opened this past fall is the Pegu Club. It's always written up as a great classic cocktail bar and it's named after the British officer's club from the 1930s in Singapore. While a nice place that does make a few nice cocktails. The music is completely inappropriate (modern technoie crap) and ruins any kind of retro feel.

I would say the Oak Bar. However, with the current renovations of the Plaza it's closed so we all have to wait a couple years for it to be back.

I used to like to go to "21" for a drink or two which was always nice. One of the few places that jacket and tie are still required which was nice. Very cool, old place. Pricy again ($10 for a drink) but worth it for the atmosphere and the history.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
From the look of the Brandy Libary's website, it looks like absolute heaven on earth. Just three more years, even though already I'm working on cultivating a good whisky palate. Just don't tell 'the Man'.

Feraud

Bartender
GateXC said:
I haven't heard of such a place, but would definitely be interested if it existed.

My current favorite bar is "The Brandy Library" (www.brandylibrary.com). It's down in Tribeca and has a fantastic menu of classic cocktails (probably around 40) that no other bar comes close to making and they are made WELL. They've also got around 1400 different scotches, cognacs, bourbons, armangacs, etc. The atmosphere is very chill, they play 1920's and 1930s jazz at a reasonable level so you can have a conversation. Fair warning, it's not cheap, but it's well worth it. I've become friends with the owner and the head bartender and on slow nights he and I used to go through old cocktail books and just make different drinks to try out. It's a fantastic place and I can't recommend it enough.

Another place that opened this past fall is the Pegu Club. It's always written up as a great classic cocktail bar and it's named after the British officer's club from the 1930s in Singapore. While a nice place that does make a few nice cocktails. The music is completely inappropriate (modern technoie crap) and ruins any kind of retro feel.

I would say the Oak Bar. However, with the current renovations of the Plaza it's closed so we all have to wait a couple years for it to be back.

I used to like to go to "21" for a drink or two which was always nice. One of the few places that jacket and tie are still required which was nice. Very cool, old place. Pricy again ($10 for a drink) but worth it for the atmosphere and the history.
An appropriate post! MK is coming to NYC this May and we are hoping to show him a nice night out on the town. GateXC, you should keep an eye on the 'Events' section. A couple of us have gotten together for lunch to hash out some ideas. You should seriously join us! TheRetropolitan, this means you too! :) ;)

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
The Flatiron Lounge

Here's another nice 30's style bar/speakeasy:

http://www.flatironlounge.com

It is, as you might expect, in the Flatiron district. I spoke with the owner when it opened, who says that she's trying to use actual vintage cocktail recipies from the 30's.

Another interesting choice is Chumley's, the only actual Manhattan speakeasy still in operation as a bar (that I'm aware of). It has an interesting history, a long list of former customers (authors that used to drink there have their books posted on the walls) and interesting prohibition-style touches such as doors that look like bookshelves.

Here's the address:

86 Bedford St, New York 10014
Btwn Barrow & Grove St

Good luck finding it, though - the "main" entrance is unmarked on an unremarkable stretch of street in the Village. The super-secret back entrance is accessable through a semi-private courtyard.

Have fun!

Fu Manchu

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the info Fu Manchu. It appears we have a lot to choose from. What us locals need to do is sit down and decide.:)

Another option is the Campbell Apt.
Formerly the private office and salon of 1920's tycoon, John W. Campbell; The Campbell Apartment has been fully restored to its original splendor -- and reborn as a chic cocktail lounge that has already been cited in the national media as one of "the best bars in America".

TheRetropolitan

New in Town
Chumley's sounds great -- a lot of the suggestions do.

I've been to the Flatiron before for someone's birthday, but they decided to flake off and show up ninety minutes late because they... decided to have a snack at the same time we were supposed to meet, all the while knowing I was sitting there waaaaiting. :kick: I passed them without word on the way to the subway.

It was a nice bar, anyway!

I was taken to a place called Employees Only some months back, on Bank street. I haven't returned, but only because I rarely hang around Manhattan any more. The bartender/owner dresses in gay nineties garb and they have a great selection of hooch. I got a real RYE WHISKEY Manhattan there, and I remember being quite impressed. (Sorry, I'm a cocktail snob) The music, I recall, was terrible. As was the crowd. But that can be said for anywhere in Gotham these days.

Regards,

Senator Jack

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Fu Manchu said:
Good luck finding it, though - the "main" entrance is unmarked on an unremarkable stretch of street in the Village. The super-secret back entrance is accessable through a semi-private courtyard.

Have fun!

Fu Manchu

Is the back entrance still accessible? The last time I wandered over, the courtyard door was locked.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Incidentally , as far as old establishmnts go, I used to enjoy PetesTavern a lot. Gift of the Magi was written in one of the booths.

Anyone hear anything about McHales on 8th ave in HellsKitchen. Thats an oldtime joint thats supposed to be closing down soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic