Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-extremists? What are we called?

skyvue said:
Jack, I wonder if it might be including the following: That the atavists in questions are drawn, as I am, to those decades they missed, not those they lived through. Those who continue to live the lifestyle of their youth or young adulthood are trafficking in something closer to nostalgia, seems to me.

This goes into the manifesto, too, Skyvue. Thank you.

Trying to recapture youth is a terrible way to live. The atavist (or whatever the hell the term ultimately is) should be nostalgic for a pre-parturient era.

Marc Chevalier said:

There's already been a TV series about us, though it was hardly 'reality':

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFD7KGBUtKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFD7KGBUtKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

NOT!:rolleyes:

With all due respect to the master, I think Freak's last hurrah came with Dinosaur Jr.
[YOUTUBE]<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQ2FS53ySgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQ2FS53ySgU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>[/YOUTUBE]

Hell, and people think we're squares. By the by, what ever happened to that Flipper/Brainwashed thread?

Senator Jack said:
No, I'm talking about kooks like us, not someone paid to live in the past for thirteen weeks.

I like the word kook. There's something wholesome about it.

Here's the Kooks Museum

And I just recalled 'They're creepy and they're kooky'.

Kook is a bit too pejorative. In the going coockoo sense I don't think we need that association. :rolleyes: Kook reminds me of a flasher in the park.:eusa_doh:
Eccentric I can live with. I could even live with vintagecentric.

Edward

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
But Edward, isn't The Chap a satire?

Uh.... yes and no. There's certainly a fair degree of humour to it, but it's not a total ironic lampooning of the vintage thing.... the people who 'get it' the most are folks who are vintage oriented but with a sense of humour about it, as opposed to those for whom it's all some ironic student jape.... I believe it comess from and is aimed at the former. (Actually, at last year's Chap Olympiad, it was very amusing - and very easy - to tell the difference between the genuine vintage folks and those who had come in "costume"... but isn't it always?).

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's another possible term: Retrophiles. Branching out, some retrophiles are retromantics, and others become retromaniacs.

But doesn't "retro" imply latter-day reproductions? A retro diner, to offer one example, is not an eatery that actually dates back to the '50s (or beyond); it's just designed to appear as if it did.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Edward said:
1] those who are interested in one aspect only - say, WW2 buffs who collect the jackets, people who are hat people only, etc - right up to those who are fond of the clothes but may have no interest in the era.

2] The "total immersion" (or close to) folks who seek as far as possible to live life as if it is still their chosen period.

3] those who might aspire to something close to 2], but are less purist, more inclined to incorporate the new if it works for them.

Seems to be a good summary to me.

Carlisle Blues said:
Members: 13,051 All individuals I agree... Individualists I do not know. As a group we cling to the past, shunning the present in one form or another. Sounds like any other special interest group. Not that there is anything wrong with that.:)

But I don't think that the majority of this group necessarily clings to the past. There are clearly those who do, maybe even the majority of those who actively post, but who knows?

I suggest a poll based on the 3 categories Edward posited and let's see what we can determine. That assumes that a significant number of the members actually respond to the poll so that a real cross section is represented.

For myself, I'm clearly in the first category. I like hats and find the hat forum to be informative. I like to look around the other forums. I daily wear items that are reminiscent of the earlier decades but that's because I grew up with those things and still like them.

But I'm old enough to not buy into the "past was better" thing. I deal with the present on its terms. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, I have less than zero desire to go back in time. It really wasn't like some of the younger people here imagine it was.

But it would be interesting to see just how many members of this site really try to live in the past.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
skyvue said:
But doesn't "retro" imply latter-day reproductions? A retro diner, to offer one example, is not an eatery that actually dates back to the '50s (or beyond); it's just designed to appear as if it did.

That's kind of the way I see it -- retro is to vintage as plastic derbies and green beer are to Irishness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR