Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-extremists? What are we called?

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
That's a good idea -- we need to, as they say, work on our brand. Occasionally I get asked questions that go beyond the "what do you call that outfit you're wearing" type of question (and to which my answer is always "Clothes.") The simplest shorthand explanation I can give is something like "I'm a twentieth century person stuck in a twenty-first century world," or if the person asking is an obvious techie type, "I'm an analog person trapped in a digital world."

If I recall, Miss Joeri, who I wish was around here more than she is, had a great term -- and I can't for the life of me remember it.

On another forum I used to frequent, I had this as my signature:

"I'm a PBS person living in a MTV world"

Can't wait to read the manifesto, hehehe

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
The dumbest comments are easily corrected. I do it all the time. :p

...and those comments are usually from these two fashion plates>>>>>
ugly-men-mag.jpg
...:p :p

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No offence... but I don't think I need a special term for "our" subculture[huh]

Somebody mentioned it reminds him of being "punk enough" lol
I may add that it always ends like this when a group wants to stand out agains "the others".
Like "hail true metal- death to false metal" or "only the meteors are pure psychobilly"
Subcultures seem to be a teen-peergroup thing.
Terms like living historians for one kind and vintage freaks for the others are close enough in my opinion.[huh]

Lokar

A-List Customer

Chas

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Here's a big "NO" to "anachronist" and here's why: there is a formal reenactment group called The Society for Creative Anachronism and they are generally looked down upon by so-called real reenactors. They started out as a LARPing party hosted by some UC Berkley professors. Calling anything an anachronist or anachronism automatically calls the SCA to mind.

That doesn't mean that the SCA "owns" the word anachronism, which is sort of what you are suggesting.

It's clearly up to each of "us" to define what "this" lifestyle means to one's own self. The only time that a label, categorization or term is at all helpful is when one is interacting with the mainstream; i.e. you're having a Gatsby picnic in the park and you are approached by someone who asks: "who are you people?"

anon`

One Too Many
Chas said:
That doesn't mean that the SCA "owns" the word anachronism, which is sort of what you are suggesting.
Exactly. For the record, I first heard, and later learned the meaning of anachronism through the SCA, and it is far from the first thing into my mind when I hear the word.

As for the potential of being looked down upon, well... I think we can put that one to bed now!

Flat Foot Floey said:
Somebody mentioned it reminds him of being "punk enough" lol

That would be your humble narrator. :)

Subcultures seem to be a teen-peergroup thing.

That I'm not so sure of. The main reason for our getting all those "Dumb Comments' is that the great unwashed doesn't have a label for us. Would you rather field the continual 'Why are you dressed like a detective/gangster/Inspector Gadget' questions or something easy like 'Are you an Atavist?' (Or whatever the term ultimately is.)

Let's face facts, me little droogies, we're a subculture without a reality series. Put a name on it, and we get one.

Regards,

Jack

Senator Jack said:
That would be your humble narrator. :)

That I'm not so sure of. The main reason for our getting all those "Dumb Comments' is that the great unwashed doesn't have a label for us. Would you rather field the continual 'Why are you dressed like a detective/gangster/Inspector Gadget' questions or something easy like 'Are you an Atavist?' (Or whatever the term ultimately is.)

Let's face facts, me little droogies, we're a subculture without a reality series. Put a name on it, and we get one.

Regards,

Jack

A reality series?! :eek: I can see it now:
The Vintage Livin' on CBS. :rolleyes:
I could live with atavist as long as we don't move it over to atavism and call it disease. :rolleyes:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

There's already been a TV series about us, though it was hardly 'reality':

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFD7KGBUtKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFD7KGBUtKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR