Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro=Frumpy?

zendy

A-List Customer
I wholeheartedly agree with the advice to just wear black. Do you know how much easier it is! I swear 3/4 of my closet is black. In the past I have tried colors and I've found that for my day to day wear, if it isn't brown, blue, grey or black, it sits in my closet until l end up giving it away. On certain occasions I've enjoyed jewel tones. That might be an option if you are feeling the need for color. Also, I have found textured fabrics and basic plaids and herringbone are far better on me than any novelty print has ever been.

chicanoir

New in Town
how does black make one look old??? most of my closet and dressers are filled with black. i dress most often like a beat because it's easy, flattering, stylish and comfy.

i do love me some royal blue though...

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
I think that's my problem. I have a cold, black soul that reaches the depths of hell (ie I was goth for so long that any time I wear anything other than black, I feel frumpy).

Same here. The only thing that brought me out of it even slightly was to get Colour Analysed whcih turned out to be the best thing I ever did. Since I have started incorporating my best colours into my outfits alongside the black i have got so many compliments every day. I haven't been able to do without the black completly yet though.

For ref: I am Clear/ Bright Winter- cool and bright jewel colours are best on me.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
kamikat said:
OMG! You are sooo right! Every couple of years I try to break out of my limited color palette and I'm never happy with it. The problem started in beauty school with the mantra "black makes you look old".

I can see that there may be a point where jet black hair can be aging, depending on the style. And my grandmother never liked me to wear black when I was a teenager because it was "inappropriate for children" but aside from that I think you should go back to that beauty school and ask them what they were thinking! Black is sleek and elegant! Shows cat hair though.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
I can see that there may be a point where jet black hair can be aging, depending on the style. And my grandmother never liked me to wear black when I was a teenager because it was "inappropriate for children" but aside from that I think you should go back to that beauty school and ask them what they were thinking! Black is sleek and elegant! Shows cat hair though.
I fixed that problem by having a black cat :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
My black cat's fur shows on everything too, including black fabric!

I have never felt frumpy in vintage, quite the reverse. Even when wearing sweaters and trousers etc. And I have never thought it of you either Kamikat!

Edward

Bartender
kamikat said:
I fixed that problem by having a black cat :D

I have one black and one tabby. The black - Marlene - displays no interest whatever in sleeping on anything other than the Big Cat's laundry, most especially anything light. Her sister, Greta, being a tabby is particularly skilled at sheeding her stripey little hairs all over anything and everything with which they will contrast - which happens to be anything and everything in my wardrobe!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
chicanoir said:
how does black make one look old???

It can make you look old - or just plain tired - if it isn't one of 'your' colours.

It really, really helps to know which colours suit you best. Saves making alot of expensive mistakes, although you still need to know what styles are best for you and your body shape.

Back to the thread!

LadyL

New in Town
I am having the opposite problem right now in that I've gained 10 lbs. and it has all gone to my hips, making everything I wear look much more "va va voom" than it used to! My butt has always been big but right now it's very "HE-llo!" It makes outfits that used to be cute and sweet look a lot less innocent, and so I have had to restyle a lot of my stuff since I don't always want to be drawing that much attention to my curves. Sometimes I prefer a more demure look.

That said I think anything that completely obscures the figure because it is ill fitting is pretty much the definition of frumpy.

D

Deleted member 12480

in a very young, judgemental teenager's opinion,

i would honestly say that i haven't seen a single member of this forum who is frumpy.

frumpy to me is wearing stuff that was cool.... like two or three years ago - you don't look vintage, you just look slow.

obviously there are hundreds of exceptions but can you kind of see where i'm coming from?

thinking about it i actually think that most of the people i would class as 'frumpy' are people who don't really try very much.

for example, my mum - most teenagers are supposed to go 'eugh' at their mothers? aren't they? well anyway i look at her and think gosh she looks lovely, and its because she tries - she's always layering all floaty skirts around and putting good colours together.

i realisie i'm probably not making much sense anymore and i'm kind of babbling.

:)
xxxx

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
^I see women my age still sporting hairdos from 1987. There's retro, there's vintage, and then there's stuck-in-your-high-school-years.

December

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
for example, my mum - most teenagers are supposed to go 'eugh' at their mothers? aren't they? well anyway i look at her and think gosh she looks lovely, and its because she tries - she's always layering all floaty skirts around and putting good colours together.

I understand this- it's the same thing with my Grandma! She's very stylish. In fact, she'll show me a new blouse she bought and it will be one I bought too the week before lol

As for frumpy, I define it as wearing clothes that are ill fitting on the wearer. For example, I'm quite short and skirts that hit the mid-calf make me look dumpy. And, as I have a big bust, certain necklines make me look a lot bigger up top which looks matronly.

Whereas a mid-calf skirt and high neckline might look great on some girls, on me it looks frumpy. It all depends on what suits the wearer.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Paisley said:
^I see women my age still sporting hairdos from 1987. There's retro, there's vintage, and then there's stuck-in-your-high-school-years.

And the make-up! There's something to be said for finding a style and sticking to it, but the colours that flattered me when I left high school aren't the same as the colours that flatter me now!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
And the make-up! There's something to be said for finding a style and sticking to it, but the colours that flattered me when I left high school aren't the same as the colours that flatter me now!
Yes yes yes! I will never wear bright pink lippie again - I'm prepared to embarrass myself, this was taken at my year 12 farewell 1989. I'm the redhead with the short hair and the bright pink lippie.
4603035357_eefb49b0c3_m.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
lolly_loisides said:
Yes yes yes! I will never wear bright pink lippie again - I'm prepared to embarrass myself, this was taken at my year 12 farewell 1989. I'm the redhead with the short hair and the bright pink lippie.
4603035357_eefb49b0c3_m.jpg

I believe I was wearing an Australis lipstick of a similar colour at mine in 1991!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW