Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro Future

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Here are some test stills for a project I'm hoping to get off the ground this fall. Hope you like them.

7006081984_59f029728e_c.jpg

7006061496_5e66641d30_z.jpg

7152147751_f505aef975_z.jpg

7006053366_b3cc45cf8e_c.jpg

7006056176_e110678aff_z.jpg

Doug

Edward

Bartender
Nice! Pretty lady! Are you going to do the final versions in B&W, or that slightly odd (in a great way) colourisation of the early Kodak colour film from the 40s? I thin kthat would work really well with these images.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Great shots.
Are those the recruitment posters?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The weren't originally supposed to be recruitment posters. They were really just supposed to be costume test shots. But when I started working on them in Photoshop, I thought, "hey they look like they could be recruitment posters". So there we are.

Hoping to make this into a web series soon.

Doug

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Nice! Pretty lady! Are you going to do the final versions in B&W, or that slightly odd (in a great way) colourisation of the early Kodak colour film from the 40s? I thin kthat would work really well with these images.

I'll likely go with the look of a mid 50's film, shot on Eastman color film, with prints made by Technicolor. I'm also thinking of framing it for 2.35:1 widescreen, as though it were an early CinemaScope film.

Doug

Edward

Bartender
I'll likely go with the look of a mid 50's film, shot on Eastman color film, with prints made by Technicolor. I'm also thinking of framing it for 2.35:1 widescreen, as though it were an early CinemaScope film.

Doug

Sounds good! I get where you were coming from with these as costume test shots, but with a more period tweaking of the colour, I think they could look like period pictures, as opposed to modern photos of a period outfit, if I'm explaining myself clearly here.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Sounds good! I get where you were coming from with these as costume test shots, but with a more period tweaking of the colour, I think they could look like period pictures, as opposed to modern photos of a period outfit, if I'm explaining myself clearly here.

I see what you are saying. I didn't intend to tweak the color much on these shots as they were really just intended to see how the costume photographed in sunlight. I will likely do more tests (on video) and experiment with the look of the final product. I wasn't planning on doing it b&w, as by the mid 50's, more than 2/3s of films were being shot in color. The project isn't specifically "retro from the 50's", but that is the photographic style that I'm planning to emulate.

Doug

Edward

Bartender
I see what you are saying. I didn't intend to tweak the color much on these shots as they were really just intended to see how the costume photographed in sunlight. I will likely do more tests (on video) and experiment with the look of the final product. I wasn't planning on doing it b&w, as by the mid 50's, more than 2/3s of films were being shot in color. The project isn't specifically "retro from the 50's", but that is the photographic style that I'm planning to emulate.

Doug

Sounds great - do keep us posted! :)

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Agreed. I'd say something art deco-y like Futura, if not for the title.
I was basing the text on the titles for Forbidden Planet, which looks a lot like that the font I used. And definitely not art deco. I'm not going for the 30's Buck Rogers style. More mid 1950's atomic age, with a little mix of some late 40's style slipping in.

Doug

Last edited:

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Production on Space Rangers is starting at the end of this month.

8251153855_b9304efec9_z.jpg

8216740204_facf2cbbaf_z.jpg

8215644875_edd6e62b46_z.jpg

8215653157_ed5c03b2c8_z.jpg

If any one is interested in our progress, I'll keep posting updates as production moves forward.

Doug

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Today was our first day of shooting Space Rangers, at the "domes" in Casa Grande, Arizona.

Here is visual effects supervisor David Stipes, with the Rangers.
13684_499456936743851_1490688954_n.jpg

Here is a production still.
531371_499486223407589_796653150_n.jpg

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner