Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro-inspired video games, anyone?

Khaki Whacky Fella

New in Town
I was looking for a thread like this and couldn't find it. (If there is one and I missed it, I apologize.)

I was curious to know if any of you like specific period-set video games, and if so, which are your favorites? They don't have to be accurately historical either - alternate realities are good as long as they follow a vintage feel.

Examples:

My favorites are the Fallout franchise (retro meets nuclear fallout and mutation), Bioshock (1, 2, even the novel... and the Burial at Sea DLC for Infinite, all of which are set in the underwater city of Rapture circa the 1940s-60s. (Infinite being set in the floating city of Columbia circa 1910s, I believe (haven't played it yet.))

Also: LA Noire - a police mystery type game set in LA with a really nice atmosphere (very laggy on my system though)

I don't know if TF2 gets an honorable mention but... well... TF2.
Off the top of my head, those are probably my favorites that I've played so far.

What are some of your favorites?

Caprette

New in Town
For a game that's retro in a different way, try The Banner Saga (available on Steam). The setting is a fantasy version of Nordic/Viking culture, but the art style is looks just like hand-drawn Disney animation from the 40s and 50s. The game itself is reminiscent of a Viking-themed Oregon Trail.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
There was a thread on there about LA Noire video game.
Do a search and it should come up.

I still play GTA Vice City on occasion.
I solved it a long time ago, but I still enjoy playing it just to kill time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner