Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rhinestones for belt project

ChuckO

New in Town
Does anyone know about rhinestones? I'm looking to make this belt myself and the only tough part is the rhinestones and the metal housing around it. If anyone knows were to find those two items it would be an enormous help. I've seen a lot of cheap versions of the rhinestones out there for home crafters but I'm looking for the real (exact) thing. Here's what they look like:

main.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Check Tandy

I saw some of those studs and jewels at a Tandy Leather store here in florida. I'm thinking of doing one of belts on one of my jackets.

ChuckO

New in Town
Do they look like the picture above or is the metal less pronounced? I think I have the ones they sell and they aren't quite right. There's very little metal and they don't sit flush on the belt. I used them for doing some prototyping.

If I'm wrong and they look like the above please let me know which Tandy. That's the only piece I'm missing.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Chuck O

I'm going there tomarrow and I'll see if they still have some in stock and I'll let you Know. Haven't went in a few weeks because they were relocating the store so they were packing eveything up and shipping to the new location.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Tandy Trip!

Chuck O Thanks for the tip they are sending a catalog to me( Standard). I went to the tandy shop And they had some of the jewels and studs but the jewels are rivet type. I can try to send some pictures if you need. But the one you informed be about look pretty cool.

ChuckO

New in Town
I think that's the company that supplied the people who made those belts originally. They've been in business since the 19th century (literally). They have a great tool also called the "hand held tool with blades". I think you have to have that.

Tandy may be good for leather but for this sort of thing they ain't makln' it.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
How to?

Where can I get the tools to set the studs and jewels that standard sells. Tandy has the the tools for the rivet type. My kids had a bedazzler years ago and I put studs on my motorcycle jacket and gloves. That little toy wasn't to good because some of the stud fell off.

ChuckO

New in Town
You know I bought a tool off of Standard for cutting the slots. They have a section on their site for them but it wasn't much help. I may be using it wrong or my belt may be too tough. It's only ten bucks though so it's probably worth a try. That's the toughest thing about doing this. I've been using an exacto knife but the cutting of slots for the studs and jewels is pretty easy, it's the crimping of the metal that is difficult. They have a series of machines that automate that starting at $500 and going up from there which is probably not worth it for a one off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred