Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Richard Burton's coat from "The Spy Who Came in From The Cold"

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Does anyone have an idea of the maker and model name of this coat? "The Spy Who Came in From The Cold" 1965

el_espia_que_surgio_del_frio_1965_3.jpg

dd-dvds11_rb_0499606005.jpg

Burton_1581845c.jpg

MV5BMjE3OTcxMzMzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTIxOTM1Mw@@._V1._SX500_SY376_.jpg

04-spycold_still.png

article-1062713-0002CCDB00000258-980_468x352.jpg

MV5BMTI4NDU5Nzc1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjIxOTM1Mw@@._V1._SX500_SY404_.jpg

297991.079richardburton10.jpg

richard-burton-shooting-the-spy-who-came-in-from-the-cold-may-1965.jpg

dt_spy_came_from_cold_1208.jpg

- Ian

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
'60s raglan shouldered lightweight overcoat/raincoat. You see them in the thrift shops around here all the time.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep, I used to pick these up for aroudn $10 all the time in the 1980's. Must have been millions made of them. Always liked the check version over the plain grey or camel, myself.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Probably labeled 'Dunn's' or 'Burton's' in the UK high street tailor stuff, suitable for the character in the film. I have one that was made in Connecticut.

MP

Hal

Practically Family
Probably labeled 'Dunn's' or 'Burton's' in the UK high street tailor stuff.
Don't knock these firms - they sold good clothes when these coats were made.
'60s raglan shouldered lightweight overcoat/raincoat.
Very useful coats for transitional seasons, intermediate in weight between the wool winter overcoat and the cotton summer raincoat. At a pinch they could be worn all-year-round, and would certainly have been ideal for April and the first half of May this year in the UK! A pity they have disappeared.

MikePotts

Practically Family

Why would you think I was 'knocking' them?[huh] My father bought most of his suits from Burton's in the 60's and I bought a pair of grey flannels and a decent white shirt from Dunn's as late as 2000.

MP

Hal

Practically Family
Why would you think I was 'knocking' them?[huh] My father bought most of his suits from Burton's in the 60's and I bought a pair of grey flannels and a decent white shirt from Dunn's as late as 2000.
MP
I'm sorry that I mistook and misunderstood your tone - the word "stuff" I took as poking fun.
But how did you buy something from Dunns in 2000? They were defunct well before then.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I'm sorry that I mistook and misunderstood your tone - the word "stuff" I took as poking fun.
But how did you buy something from Dunns in 2000? They were defunct well before then.

Yeah you're right, it was another clothing store up North - Greenwoods? Greenwells?....something like that, I'll look at the pants when I get back home.

MP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21