Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rings

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whoa insane collection Matt!!!
Here's mine:

rings2_zps64950794.jpg

I had and stupidly sold an amazing Johnson-Smith ring a few years ago. What a mistake.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Wowza! Flat-Top & Mattfink, those are hella great collections! Trouble is, the originals rarely turn up on this side of the pond, so Ebay's our only hope, and then you've got the rest of the world bidding against you... :p

fashion frank

One Too Many
I've been collecting, buying and selling these rings for a while now as well. Your grandfathers ring is pretty spectacular and in great condition. You could easily get a jeweler to replace the eyes with stones or glass. The history of these rings is varied, but originally they were melting down pesos and making them into rings. They are made of a variety of materials including brass, silver and nickel silver. Johnson & Smith was novelty company here in Detroit that sold these rings...I can find them as far back as the 1930's, but could be earlier. Here's my collection from a couple years back:

P1013716.jpg

Mattfink, I gotta hand it to you very nice collection ,there is one ring ,it's in the middle row and it's the third one from the left ,that ring is calling to me ,is that some sort of writing around the skull and cross bones ?

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Ditto that !
Those rings are insane and way cool not to mention Mr Badger's hand that thing's gotta be rare ,may I ask how you
acquired it ?

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Hey Frank, I picked it up from a flea market – they're still made, probably somewhere like China, it's not an original... have a look on Ebay for palmistry hand and you'll probably see a variation of it for a few bucks, or if you've got a local mumbo-jumbo shop (that sells crystals, tie-die, tarot cards, etc), then they'll most likely have one too... just a good way of displaying rings...

Actually, they have completely 'plain' versions on Amazon US, but I'm sure you'll be able to get one fer cheaper than $30!

Last edited:

mattfink

Practically Family
Fashion Frank - that skull ring did not have any writing around it. It was a little big for any of my fingers, so rather than sizing it I sold it to another collector.

mattfink

Practically Family
Mr Badger - I think those phrenology hands are a bigger deal in the UK...couldn't find a single one like yours on eBay US.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab

Ok, a couple of ideas about this ring.....

The engraving on the sides and in the back are traditional Mexican native symbols, most likely Nahuatl (Aztec). Since "Made in Mexico" and not "Hecho en Mexico" is engraved on the inside, he may have purchased it from a US based novelty ring company that imported the rings to the US for distribution.

Was he ever stationed in San Diego? The other idea is that he purchased the ring in Tijuana.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Show us your SIGNET RINGS- GUYS!!

As I've been watching old movies, and seeing old photo stills, I've noticed that many of the male actors wore a signet ring on their pinkie. I'd like to hear and see about this unique jewelry item for men. Gents, do you wear one or do you think it a bit ostentatious?

Here's a still of Stewart Granger wearing one on his left hand:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I only own two rings. One is the Masonic signet that I posted about way earlier in this thread. This is the other one…my 1978 class ring from Carolina. I bought it the summer that I was a rising senior. Hard for me to believe, but its thirty-six years old...probably this month.

54d9091c-a10f-4eef-be69-d505dd5fb6ae_zps4e156e5e.jpg

AF

I only own two rings. One is the Masonic signet that I posted about way earlier in this thread. This is the other one…my 1978 class ring from Carolina. I bought it the summer that I was a rising senior. Hard for me to believe, but its forty years old...probably this month.
AF

Not to date you AF but my High School class was 1978 & we're having our 35th reunion in June....40 years will be in a few...

BTW, Go Heels! Married a Tar Heel & became a basketball fan....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24