Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rita's Glamour

Etienne

A-List Customer
Did anyone else see the Rita Hayworth movie called Covergirl last night on TCM??? A fun flick and a great snapshot of 40's styles. There is a brief close-up shot of a manicure on a woman whose nails are sporting the bare moon look. Also, there is a great scene of Rita getting made up for a photo shoot and it's fun to watch the make-up artist of the day slathering her face with cream and piling on face powder! Just observing the make-up tools, the scenes of gals under hair dryers and watching the beautician undoing pin curls, and styling hair on the starlets was fascinating!! WOW!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago on TCM. (I love my Tivo!) I was really struck by the beautiful clothing in this movie. I think it was the technicolor, but there were some beautiful color combos on some of the ladies outfits. I especially liked the scene where Rita goes to audition for the magazine cover and she is in the office lobby with all the other women. They were all wearing gorgeous suits! There was one suit in particular that was a pink and emerald green color combo that was striking. I would have never have thought to put those two colors together until now. And Rita's black suit with the red trim! Fabulous! If you like high-fashion movies, I'd really recommend this one.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have it on DVd and it's one of those films you wish you could magically go into, like that Arnie movie, just so you could "borrow" all the clothes and shoes. In fact, I must go and watch it again tonight, I love it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Watched it too!

I especially liked the dance number with all the various "cover girls". It was interesting to see the range of hairstyles and looks of all the models. This movie is jam packed with great hair, makeup and wardrobe!

Honey Doll

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Cover Girl is being offered on On Demand this month.

I watched the first few minutes (or I tried!), but the husband was getting impatient with it (the hot women didn't even save it for him :mad: )

I'll record it and watch it on my own time, though. After reading all of these glowing reviews I want to see it even more!!!!

Amy_Atomic

New in Town
Oh wow Cover Girl is one of my favourite movies of all time. I have seen it so many times, but never fail to draw more inspiration from it each time.
I find the hats in it are exquisite (especially the little doll hats) and am so in awe of all the costumes that I never know who to look at! I too also enjoy the sequence where rusty is being 'groomed' for her big cover shoot.
Rita hayworth is absolutely divine in this film.

roots66

One of the Regulars
Honey Doll said:
I especially liked the dance number with all the various "cover girls". It was interesting to see the range of hairstyles and looks of all the models. This movie is jam packed with great hair, makeup and wardrobe!

Honey Doll

Robert Osborne gave an interesting bit of trivia in his intro...apparently Lauren Bacall was slated to be the Harper's Bazaar girl, but those plans were thwarted when she got her contract from Warner Bros. Nice to see they gave bit speaking parts early on in the flick to Jinx Falkenberg and Anita Colby, two of the top models of the day.

A more disappointing bit of trivia was given later that night in Robert's intro to "Down to Earth"--I never knew Rita's singing voice was dubbed! How demystifyin'--I'll never be able to hear "Put the Blame on Mame" in quite the same way.

Rita's divoonity is undeniable, but let's not give short shrift to Eve Arden's character "Stonewal" Jackson--to my eyes, her outfits were the chicest of all.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
roots66 said:
Rita's divoonity is undeniable, but let's not give short shrift to Eve Arden's character "Stonewal" Jackson--to my eyes, her outfits were the chicest of all.

Oh yes! Eve had some really stunning, quite large pieces of jewelry that were making me very jealous.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I went and bought the DVD yesterday on my lunch break. Loved it. I've always loved Eve Arden. Wise cracking dames always did it for me. Guess that's why I'm the way I am. She's a tall girl too. 5'9 if I'm not mistaken. I'm 5'10 1/2 so I really pay attention to her style. I think some of the styles were alittle over the top for everyday wear but at least it gives me great ideas.

Rita had beautiful legs. Did you notice that the color of the stockings they wore bordered on more of a tannish color. The scene where the head of the magazine is showing Eve the playbill, look at Eve's stockings. They are almost a cinnamon color.

This was a great movie. If anyone knows of other movies with great wardrobe, please, post them here.

vonwotan

Practically Family
After watching Covergirl some weeks ago I was very happy to see the Gilda in the On Demand selections this weekend. What a stunner she was!

epr25

Practically Family
I would assume that if you haev comcast it would all be the same? But this weekend we were looking through the on demand stuff. If you look in there there is a section called totally weird. They have several like 9-10 old strip tease numbers and other weird old film shorts. Some were cute. Some were just weird. But it's worth checking out.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Yup, Something Weird on On Demand.
My husband are huge fans of Something Weird Video and we've built up a rather large collection of DVDs. I love exploitation movies from the 30s-60s. Something Weird is great. I'd also recommend the "Weird Vegas" channel because they show modern burlesque clips and VLV clips. So much fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic