Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roaring 20s/Prohibition party attire

Brinybay

Practically Family
I'm helping to organize a "Roaring 20s" party. I'm to play the role of the bartender. I have ZILCH vintage attire. Close as I come are a few shirts and jackets I used when I used to work as a limo driver. These are just black/white suits, that is, black jacket and pants with a white shirt, black ties, black vest. The shirts do have french cuffs.

I do have a bow tie that came with one of the shirts. But I was wanting to get something a little more "vintage". I don't have a lot of money to spend on this. I'm not above going to a thrift store to find something that would make-do. I may possibly be able to spend a few dollars on a shirt if it's very time-period appropriate.

What I need to know are some ways I can take contempory clothing articles and sort of "fake it". For example a friend suggested folding up the collar on my white shirts and then pressing the corners down to get that vintage look. BTW, what are those shirts called anyway, that look like the collar is folded up, like the bartender in the clip is wearing?

Also, can anyone tell me what these shirts are in this picture, with the very high collar? (From the left, #2, 3, 5, 6, 7).

Seattle Police Dept. "Dry Squad", c1921.

SPDdrysquad1921.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check some of the tuxedo rental shops - they usually have some older shirts & tuxes they sell cheap. There's also a store next to Borders at SouthCenter that always has good prices on new tuxes & shirts & such.

The shirt you mention (but not the mention of the ones in the photo) is a wing-collared tux shirt. Besides thrift shops and the above-mentioned tux shops, check Nordstrom Rack.

As a bartender, you could probably get by with a vest instead of a jacket. Being right after the holidays, you may be able to find good prices on clearance.

What size are you looking for? I think I have a couple that mysteriously seem to have gotten smaller the last couple of years. Seems to be a pretty common thing with closets these days from what I've read on another post or two here on the Lounge recently. ;)

Brinybay

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
Check some of the tuxedo rental shops - they usually have some older shirts & tuxes they sell cheap. There's also a store next to Borders at SouthCenter that always has good prices on new tuxes & shirts & such.

The shirt you mention (but not the mention of the ones in the photo) is a wing-collared tux shirt. Besides thrift shops and the above-mentioned tux shops, check Nordstrom Rack.

As a bartender, you could probably get by with a vest instead of a jacket. Being right after the holidays, you may be able to find good prices on clearance.

What size are you looking for? I think I have a couple that mysteriously seem to have gotten smaller the last couple of years. Seems to be a pretty common thing with closets these days from what I've read on another post or two here on the Lounge recently. ;)

Shirt size 16-16 1/2 X 34/35. I know what you mean about stuff shrinking in the closet. I just tried on a shirt with the vest after 2 years hanging in the closet. The vest used to have room to spare, not anymore!

Thanks for the tips about where to look, I'll check them out. Are there any local merchants that deal in actual vintage attire?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd ditch any coat and just use a plain, timeless vest. You might put a womans' garter on each sleeve just below the elbow to keep them taught. That's an old-fashioned touch too.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Shirt sleeves with a vest or with sleeve garters would be a good bartender look. Or all cotton vintag shirt with a softer collar and a vintage tie would look good.

I live in Seattle and usd to deal in vintage clothing. I might have some stuff tha would work for you. Vintage that old is rare and you look kind of big, but I have some things that might work. Or I would be glad to meet up with you sometime to consult to help you find something good. I don't mind lending some things out. There is also a rental place in Greenlake area that you might be able to find something at. I do have a suit that would be great, but don't know about fit.

I might have a hat or cap that would look good. A larger newsboy cap with a shirt and tie would look good.

Especially what you could do is roll the sleeves up about an inch wide roll and all the way up to your biceps, then some suspenders and a short twenties tie. I have plenty you could borrow.

Since you probably can't do private messages, you can e-mail me at reetpleatsf@yahoo.com

Mateo

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
There is a thrift store near my house. I would think we could run down there and find a few things on the cheap that would work with a vintage tie and cap thrown in.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

I'd say go with a shirt, tie, suspenders, sleeve garters and vest combo. A bow-tie and a bowler would really top it all off!!! You could also get some spats for over your shoes!!!

Try this shop for the spats, suspenders and bowlers. they also have some great vests of various makes and models!! I personally have one of the double breasted versions which also "shrunk" over the last six months...

They also have some great products for enhancing a personna!!

http://www.riverjunction.com/

Good luck!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and by the way, if yo uwant a few real authenticly dressed people to ad to the feel of the party, you know where to put out the call.

If you are at all responsible for suggestions for the men, a tuxedo is always a decent vintag default. Most men will not really want to dress up anyway, so if you give them that, it will at least make it easy for them.

Brinybay

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Oh, and by the way, if yo uwant a few real authenticly dressed people to ad to the feel of the party, you know where to put out the call.

Thanks for the offer, but as I mentioned in my e-mail to you, the format of the party isn't really geared for that.

But, perhaps we can get a Seattle FL happy hour event on the calendar.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Brinybay said:
Also, can anyone tell me what these shirts are in this picture, with the very high collar? (From the left, #2, 3, 5, 6, 7).

Seattle Police Dept. "Dry Squad", c1921.

SPDdrysquad1921.jpg

The shirts you point out all have stiff, detachable collars, I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about.

Brinybay

Practically Family
cookie said:
www.ebay.co.uk vintage section 1920s had lots of detachable collar shirts.

Thanks, I put them on my watch list. All I need now is a shirt to go with it. I believe they're called "Grandad" shirts. I've been searching high and low on the net and can't seem to find them, at least not the kind that go with the collar.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Brinybay said:
Thanks, I put them on my watch list. All I need now is a shirt to go with it. I believe they're called "Grandad" shirts. I've been searching high and low on the net and can't seem to find them, at least not the kind that go with the collar.

Perhaps a search for "banded collar" shirts would be the ticket?

Good luck. This party sounds like such a gas! :)

Brinybay

Practically Family
Ugarte said:
Perhaps a search for "banded collar" shirts would be the ticket?

That helps, thanks! I have actually found one using "grandad", only problem it has stripes, which I detest. I'll keep looking. For some reason, they are all turning up in England.

Ugarte said:
Good luck. This party sounds like such a gas! :)

You don't realize it, but you just made a pun! The party is for our scuba diving club's annual banquet!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Brinybay said:
You don't realize it, but you just made a pun! The party is for our scuba diving club's annual banquet!

SCUBA club. Wow, that's deep.

Anyhoo, I've been doing some quick Googling and I have found some very helpful sites here in the US. Including collars.

Some of them, like that first link, are geared toward formalwear and are DEARLY priced. I don't know your budget or if you get what you pay for, but there you have it.

Mark

shindeco

A-List Customer
Whatever you're doing, it must be contagious.

One of my colleagues is celebrating her 30th birthday in March and she's decided to have to have a "speakeasy" party! I immediately thought of this thread! (OK, so my first thought was "hmm, what to wear?" and THEN I thought of this thread!!:p )

Brinybay

Practically Family
Ugarte said:
SCUBA club. Wow, that's deep.

Anyhoo, I've been doing some quick Googling and I have found some very helpful sites here in the US. Including collars.

Some of them, like that first link, are geared toward formalwear and are DEARLY priced. I don't know your budget or if you get what you pay for, but there you have it.

Mark

Thanks, those help, but yes, far out of my price range. I've been finding vintage "grandpa" shirts and the collars here and there on eBay, but they're all in merry ol' England and after shipping, cost nearly as much as the second link. None of them have been my size anyway. Interesting that Brooks Bros carries them. I was just in the Seattle store a few days ago and they said they didn't have them at all. Just as well, I would have run out of the store as fast as I could at the $225 price tag!

I'll keep scanning eBay, maybe I'll get lucky. It would be nice to get one, but it's not critical, and I have some time yet, the party is in April.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner