Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robin Hood

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
He's back....from the folks who brought you Gladiator.

[YOUTUBE]KSqL9ygBCck[/YOUTUBE]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I cannot wait to see this. I'm a huge Russell Crowe fan and I think he'll really do well in this role.

From watching the trailer, one thing I do know: this is not your Kevin Costner's Robin Hood (thank goodness!).

byronic

One of the Regulars
The trailer looks promising (but then trailers usually do), if it's the Gladiator team then that's a plus too.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I dunno - I thought Scott's last film set in this time period, Kingdom of Heaven, was simply awful. And while I generally love Cate Blanchett, a sword-swinging "Lady Marion" just strikes me as crowd-pleasing revisionism. (Maybe she should fight it out with the absurd warrior-babe Guinevere Keira Knightley played a few years back in the terrible King Arthur!)

Now sure, the Robin Hood legends have been twisted and turned for all kinds of odd uses - as much as I love the Errol Flynn film, its Robin-as-Saxon-freedom-fighter approach is no doubt far from whatever truth underlies the stories. I guess every era recreates the Robin Hood it needs.

Still, I predict poor reviews and mediocre box office.

Panache

A-List Customer
Silver Dollar said:
I have to see this. It's got to be way better than the Errol Flynn version. that one has too many men running around in tights laughing a lot. Scary.:eek:

The Adventure of Robin Hood is my very favorite film of all time.

Like many films you do have to suspend disbelief, but I feel the colorful and bright world created in that film is just marvelous. As for the laughter...well personally I love the sense of joy de vivre and gusto Flynn brings to the part.

Flynn will always be Robin Hood to me

Hmmm...it has been a few months since I have watched it, maybe it is time to go get the DVD out :)

Cheers

Jamie

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
The 1984 Robin of Sherwood BBC series was pretty good, and a breathe of fresh air in it's treatment of the Robin Hood legend...infinitely better than the non-accented Costner effort (although I loved Alan Rickman's Sheriff)....;)

BTW, watch the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, as the theatrical version was edited too heavily, and is disjointed in it's story-line presentation...the DC makes a heckuva lot more sense (not to mention the extra, copious amounts of glorious, medieval violence)...:)
Rob

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Panache said:
The Adventure of Robin Hood is my very favorite film of all time.

Like many films you do have to suspend disbelief, but I feel the colorful and bright world created in that film is just marvelous. As for the laughter...well personally I love the sense of joy de vivre and gusto Flynn brings to the part.

Flynn will always be Robin Hood to me

Hmmm...it has been a few months since I have watched it, maybe it is time to go get the DVD out :)

Cheers

Jamie

Whoops. Sorry but it's only an opinion. Heck, I liked the Rocketeer.:eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
I have high hopes. The man is an impressive actor, and I like what I hear viz this being more of an origin story. I did read that the oiriginal plan was to call it Nottingham, and to focus more on Hood's criminality, to subvert the story by telling it from the opposite to the traditional side. I don't know how much of this has survived, though I hear they changed the titled so as to avoid the difficult of marketing it internationally where Hood and Sherwood are the known brands. Not so sure how accurate that is (surely everyone knows the Sherrif of Nottingham?), but you can't argue with Robin Hood as a title.

LordBest

Practically Family
I liked Gladiator despite its historical inaccuracies (which do matter to me, I accept most people won't notice or care) but I really disliked Kingdom of Heaven. I put off watching the trailer to Robin Hood for some time, thinking I would be filled with instant loathing, but now that I have I find from what I can tell the costumes seem to be considerably more accurate than those of Kingdom of Heaven. This in no way means it will be a good film, but it does mean that I won't avoid it until I can borrow a friends copy on DVD.

Edit. Or I could just say I quite liked the trailer, which is what the above amounts to.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like Cate Blanchett and I like the idea of a cool Maid Marion but there's more than one flavour of cool, or even dangerous, and sword-swinging is not necessarily what I would have gone with.

I like Crowe, though, so I am tentatively interested.

Still like Flynn, though, but what girl is immune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff