Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roll out your Rollups.

Rolled Borsalino

I had been hoping to find one of these for a while and was excited to finally receive this one which spent three weeks traveling from Argentina to Buffalo. I would guess this one has been rolled and stored in its box for 60+ years. I don't think it has ever been worn before today.

foldingborso1.jpg

foldingborso2.jpg

foldingborso3.jpg

foldingborso4.jpg

foldingborso5.jpg

foldingborso6.jpg

After steaming and ironing, it fluffed back up quite well. Unfortunately, the seller cut through the onion skin paper protector to show the crown medallion. There was really no choice other than to remove it.

foldingborso8.jpg

foldingborso9.jpg

foldingborso10.jpg

foldingborso11.jpg

foldingborso12.jpg

110311.jpg

I'd like to add this advertisement shared by Carouselvic... The line "All of our hats may be rolled for packing!" supports my guess that these boxed Borsos were rolled and boxed for shipping or packing by the store, but were not intended to be "rollable" on a regular basis for travel.

leoq.jpg

Aureliano's great instruction sheet is another clue that the box was intended as a way to get your European hat back home safely in your suitcase or via mail, rather than as a regular torture regimen.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful example, too Michael! Here's the instruction sheet that came with mine and that Alan referenced before.

IMG_0652.jpg

Iyor

One of the Regulars
I wanted a rollable, but I had a hard time finding something with the proportions I wanted. I asked Jwalls if he can make one and I'm super excited with what was waiting for me when I came home. He also sent along a photo tutorial.

2011-11-23_22-36-09_921.jpg

2011-11-23_22-36-18_103.jpg

2011-11-23_22-42-22_951.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano, you mentioned that you picked these up in Italia. May I ask at what sort of shop? Do they have many "vintage" shops, or antique stores, or were they maybe on craigslist? Surely these weren't thrift store (charity shop) finds!

Just curious, as I don't remember seeing that sort of store on my travels through Italy.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano, you mentioned that you picked these up in Italia. May I ask at what sort of shop? Do they have many "vintage" shops, or antique stores, or were they maybe on craigslist? Surely these weren't thrift store (charity shop) finds!

Just curious, as I don't remember seeing that sort of store on my travels through Italy.

Second hand clothing stores in Roma. I know several partially because I've been going to the city since I was a kid and partially because my grandma knows every inch of Roma and Milano. Remember, just 'cause you don't see em' it doesn't mean they don't exist ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari