Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roll out your Rollups.

RBH

Bartender
COMING SOON!!!!

trainplane.jpg

majormoore

Vendor
This is something I have been playing around with, it will be made in the shop, first hat color is still up in the air at this time.

Major Moore

a Borsalino comparison

Comparison of two rolled Borsalinos in the familiar white triangular box.

Circa late 1940s - 1950/ rolled Borso with leather sweat. Paper crown protector was removed (seller cut it to show the logo in auction photos.) Additional photos of this hat here.

foldingborso1.jpg

foldingborso2.jpg

hat has older style manufacturing label

foldingborso11.jpg

Circa 1954/ Rolled Borsalino Pocket Hat with fabric sweat. More pictures of this hat here.

pocket1.jpg

pocket2.jpg

hat displays later style manufacturing label without Borsalino written on side.

pocket8.jpg

Side by side. Both hats are light and soft but the pocket hat (right) is lighter and softer (2.2 ounces).

2rollables1.jpg

2rollables2.jpg

inside (pocket hat on left)

2rollables3.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
If what I'm going to say is even possible, I think the pocket one is nicer (the felt looks to be in nicer shape... smoother finished) than the "rollable" Nice find, Alan. And yes, I am SO jealous lol lol

Thanks again, Ale and sorry to taunt you with all these gray Borsalinos (though I think you did great with your vacation beauties!).

The felt in the rollable is more versatile than the pocket - thin and firm, it holds a lovely sharp crease, and the blocking shows a taller crown with less taper. It could use a better steam and blocking job. I did it originally on the Garvé but stopped quickly as the sweat and liner seams began to telescope through the felt.

Yesterday I took out a block and flange to work on the pocket hat... just about to add a thread documenting this process. I should go back and redo the other one with the sweatband flipped out... but I'm always a little afraid to do that. Sometimes I have nightmares with the sound of popping Borsalino sweatband stitches. :eeek:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I posted this hat in the new hats thread hoping someone could provide information on the model and age. After reading this thread, I think my mystery hat is, in fact, a rollup.

This is a hat I fished out of the bay. It is marked as a Royal Stetson, no liner, pug ribbon and the softest, thinnest felt I have ever seen. It is soft as a mouse's ear, and is light as a feather. It seems so delicate that I am almost afraid to handle it, let alone wear it!:eeek: It rollup nicely, as shown in the pics on this thread, and pops right back. Kinda cool!:D

P1010116.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010118.jpg

P1010120.jpg

P1010119.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21