Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ROLLS- DIY tool

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I always struggle with rolls. I can do them but it usually takes a lot of fumbling and thousands of attempts. So today I took a clothes hanger (the wiry metal ones) and cut a length of wire 8 inches long. I then folded it in half with pliers. It looks like an over sized bobby pin without the ridges. I used the plier to make the fold tight, with both ends lined up. I wanted it to grasp hair easily but let it go just as easily.

I combed out a section of hair for a roll and put the large pin near the ends and started rolling. I had to tease the hair a little to give it some volume. Once the hair was all rolled up I used the pin to position the roll. I was able to pin the roll in place with the large pin still inside the roll. It was much easier than trying to hold the roll with my fingers. Once it was secure I just slid the large pin out!

I call it a rolling pin :)p ) It has some imperfections though. The edges I cut are a little jagged and grab the hair when I pull it out, (I just pushed them back in). Also the rolling pin is very thin so I had to tease my hair to create volume.

I'm going to make a larger one to see if it can be used to make rolled bangs. Does anyone have any ideas how it can be made better?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Ooooh that sounds like a fantastic idea! I have a hell of a time with rolls and usually end up giving up, because I have so much hair and just can't ever get the rolls positioned or shaped correctly.

The thing I would be worried about is grip and the pin not being able to hold the ends of the hair well for rolling.

I think to keep the jagged ends from grabbing your hair, I would personally take my Dremel tool and sand down the ends to smooth them out. This could probably be done by hand with some heavy grit sandpaper. Another option might be to wrap the ends in something - perhaps the shrinkable plastic that is available for re-tipping shoelaces, but I would be worried about the hair sticking to that as well. I think your best bet is to smooth the edges of the metal itself.

epr25

Practically Family
That's a great idea! I can't hold on with my fingers so I usually just give up. I have tried the curling iron method but that always creates a roll that is to big and loose. I am going to go home and chop up a hanger. I am going to try one that is coated with the plastic and also one that is just metal and smooth the edges like Kitty suggested and see which one works better. I think it would be great if this works! Good thinking!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland