Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rookie Mistake (Need Help!)

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
badhat.jpg

OK, I fully understand this was a stupid mistake and I accept full responsibility for my ignorance. :eusa_doh: I took my cheap wool Country Gentleman fedora which is my beater hat, and due to storage limitations, plopped it on top of this perfectly harmless Stetson Straw from Miller hats. Evidently, the black country gentleman with black cotton sweatband was a tad wet from sweat. It appears that the lovely black dye from the sweatband decided to jump onto the Straw Stetson. With that said, does anyone know what to do to fix this? Tried a bit of alcohol on a small spot with little or no effect. This is one of those really stiff Miller Stetson deals. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I'd hate to see this nice hat go to waste. Thanks...

I don't know what to do about your hat, kowalskt63, and I fear that anything I might suggest may result in even more harm.

If it's any consolation, know that you aren't the first to damage his hat, and in your case it appears that your injured lid is neither a precious family heirloom nor of any truly significant value for any other reason. So what the heck. Try gasoline or something and if that doesn't fix it up, you'll have an excuse to go buy a replacement and to use this one to start the barbecue with.

freebird

Practically Family
If worst comes to worst, you might try dying it. I've read in another thread that someone dyed a hat with tea or coffee.

MAB1

Suspended
Using coffee or tea doesn't really dye anything, it acts more as a stain.

I'm not sure what you'd use to dye straw. I've had great luck using the J.T. Marcus hair dye trick on felt.

If you can't get those stains out, you'll have to go darker to cover them up w/ dye.

I did spray paint an old cheap cowboy straw once. It came out a great white.

If the dye ran from being wet from sweat, then the dye is WATER soluable. Try running warm not hot tap water on the area the dye is on for a few minutes, it may re liquify and wash off. Then let the hat dry without putting anything on it.

mineral

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
If the dye ran from being wet from sweat, then the dye is WATER soluable. Try running warm not hot tap water on the area the dye is on for a few minutes, it may re liquify and wash off. Then let the hat dry without putting anything on it.

I agree. Water or oil seems to me to be the best option.

I would strongly recommend against using alcohol or any similar solvents unless absolutely necessary. They could dry the hat out.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:

I agree with this line of reasoning. The Naptha based solvents might be best reserved for the felts this time.

G'luck!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The best idea so far is just a water bath here & hope. Dying most likely won't work as the straw has been treated with laquer stiffner to get it stiff, thus preventing the straw from really accepting the dye. Alcohol or naptha most likely will deteriorate the stiffner, leaving you with a soft mess. It might take the staining out, but what do you do with the misshapen hat then?
The most intriguing idea is the hair spray. I vaguely remember my wife using it to remove things from vintage clothing, but it's been just long enough to not remember clearly.
I'd try lightly going over it with a wet cloth. If that doesn't work, hairspray. If that doesn't work, like TonyB said, light the BBQ

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I remember something called "SILLY PUTTY". We used to spread it flat on the Sunday funny papers. When it was peeled up, it had soaked up enough ink to show the picture (in reverse) on the surface of the putty which had been in contact with the paper. :)

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
I remember something called "SILLY PUTTY". We used to spread it flat on the Sunday funny papers. When it was peeled up, it had soaked up enough ink to show the picture (in reverse) on the surface of the putty which had been in contact with the paper. :)

MAN OH MAN, I hope you try this and it works!!!!!

lol lol lol lol

Straightforward, but fun and really divergent at the same time.

dv

MattJH

One Too Many
If you can't clean it, wear it anyway! My Dobbs 20 has as stain on the side and I like it. Then again, I'm on the casual side of the spectrum, but what's so bad about having a hat that reflects that it's been used once in a while, you know? Or graduate the hat to beater status.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
If worse comes to worse try a 5% dilution of Hydrogen Peroxyde on it. It won't damage the straw at all and has been a recommended method of cleaning per the Scientific Hat Refurbishing books that has been around for a long time now (1919). Hope all comes out well.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran