Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Route 66 motels an endangered species...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So funny, I'm glad I sorted through the threads of the past week. I had a feeling someone would put up this link. Anyway, thanks:)
It's a decent article, and it's nice to see such a small article get yahoo home page coverage.
It is an interesting article to read:)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Oh....wow. The Log Cabin, huh? I always thought those little cabins were so cute! Times like this I wish I were rich...I'd restore as many old hotels as possible!
thanks for sharing, Viv. :eek:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think there was an article on the log cabin motel in the last issue of the SCA (society for comercial archaeology) journal. Never been there myself.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
RedHotRidinHood said:
Oh....wow. The Log Cabin, huh? I always thought those little cabins were so cute! Times like this I wish I were rich...I'd restore as many old hotels as possible!
thanks for sharing, Viv. :eek:

In that case I wish you were rich too. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, those old places have lot of charm, but if you were jusy looking for a place to stay while traveling from here to there, you wouldn't want to stay in one of them. I've stayed in places like that, as far back as the '50's. They had a lot more personality, for sure. They had grass and trees, and nature, but some didn't have private baths or anything you would recognize as heat. And some of them had night clerks who looked a lot like Anthony Perkins!
lol
What's sad is the demise of the old US Routes. The interstates are convenient, and bypass the centers of towns. In the old days of 2 lane highways, you were doing well on a cross country trip to average 37 miles per hour, including all stops. Nowadays on the interstate it's more like 50 mph.
So there's your trade off. Plan your route on an old US Route, see the USA in your Chevrolet. The trip itself will be your destination. But it will take lot longer.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, I remember staying at "Friendly Farmer Cottages" in Waterford NY, in 1963, during a college hunting trip through New York State. It was a sweet little place, right on the Hudson River, above Albany. My brother went down and cought a fish in the river. They had an old well that dated to the Revolution. But the bathroom was in a separate building 100 feet away! My brother woke up inthe middle of the night, startled, and cried out "What is this place?!" A little spooky. But very charming.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've stayed in 2 or the 3 surviving Wigwam motels, the one in AZ and the one in KY. I highly recommend them if you're ever in the area.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Wow- I haven't seen those before. Thanks for posting that, those look really cool. Road Trip!

Those seem to be different than the wigwams, but of the same general concept.
The third in the former wigwam chain is out in California.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
see the difference in shape?

TX
TeePeeMotelTexas505KenRudine.jpg

KY
teepees.jpg

CA
home_bottom.jpg

http://www.wigwamvillage.com/
http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/