Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal DeLuxe Open Road

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Unless I miss my guess, this OR dates to the late 40's, and has survived in mint condition. The liner is an exact match to my Stetson Royal DeLuxe fedora that dates to 1948 (although the OR liner is now missing the translucent liner material on the inside of the crown). One interesting thing about the liner in both hats is that the seam is located on the side, rather than at the rear by the size tag. Don't know if this detail provides a dating clue that could be more widely applied or not.

A 1951 Stetson OR ad identifies this color as "Estes Tan." The felt is smooth and pliable, and relatively lightweight. Just gorgeous. The photos show a crease done by hand -- no steam...

OpenCrown-6.jpg

Liner-6.jpg

OpenRoad2.jpg

RoyalDeluxe2.jpg

SizeTag-1.jpg

MayCompany.jpg

Center-5.jpg

Right-4.jpg

RightCenter.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Film Noir

New in Town
Beautiful

That is one nice open road. I have one that is a 3X that came with the hat box and is the same color. Like yours, mine doesn't even look worn. I keep looking for another in like condition that is a deluxe. There's just something so Americana about the open road and you're transported back in time. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Awesome OR! Looks like a new hat!

I have three older OR's and the liners on all three have the open seam on the side.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Dee and Gents!

FilmNoir -- sounds like you have quite a nice 3X. If you get a chance, post some photos. And you're right, the OR truly is a bit of Americana.

Carter -- Interesting that your OR's also have the side seam to the liner. Any idea of the approximate age of your lids? It would be interesting to know whether the side seam was used only up until a particular year, and therefore could be used as a clue in dating lids. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cheers,
JtL

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Very sharp!!

That's a keeper my friend!!!

That's basically the look and color I was hoping when I bought my latest lid..

SH32.jpg

I hate it when it looks better on my wife than on me!!

deelovely

Practically Family
Badluck Brody said:
That's a keeper my friend!!!

That's basically the look and color I was hoping when I bought my latest lid..

SH32.jpg

I hate it when it looks better on my wife than on me!!
Don't know what your hat looks like on you but it does indeed look great on her!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace