Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal DeLuxe Stetson for Sale or Trade

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Hello Folks,

In the coming weeks I will be selling a hat or two (or 70). All prices will include Priority shipping and insurance. For many reasons I am looking to sell these hats quick. I want to offer them to Loungers first but if a hat sits around for more than a week then it is off to eBay.

I will consider trades for any hat posted but I warn you, I am picky! I am looking for black hats and fuzzy/velour/longhair hats in almost any color (to include black!). I am looking for hats tagged or matching measurements of 7 1/4, 7 3/8 or 7 1/2. Brims must be at least 2 1/4 inches to be considered.

Tan Royal DeLuxe Stetson with slightly darker brim binding and one of those nifty burnt orange ribbons (1 1/2 in). The hat has been cleaned by Optimo who also fixed a tear in the sweatband (see pictures) with tape (same stuff used to hold the two ends of a sweatband together). The hat has two small moth nibbles that are not too deep and are near the ribbon so a tug hides them.

Crown height (open): 5 7/16 in
Brim width: 2 1/2 in
Length/Width of head opening: 8 in x 6 1/2 in

OrangeStetson1.jpg

OrangeStetson10.jpg

OrangeStetson11.jpg

OrangeStetson4.jpg

OrangeStetson6.jpg

OrangeStetson7.jpg

OrangeStetson8.jpg

OrangeStetson9.jpg

Asking $95

Regards to all,
Hollis

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Hollis, that is a really nice-looking hat. I don't see sizes listed for your hats - only length and width measurements of the opening. What size is this one?

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Well I have gotten a lot more PMs than I thought I would and let me try to address a few of the more common questions.

1. I am going to sound like a jerk (and I feel like one) but I simply cannot give folks a "heads up" of the hats that I will be selling. I started selling hats on eBay last year before my deployment and it got to the point where I spent 90% of my available hat time with requests and only 10% with actual selling. Now I was happy to do it and would do it now but I do not have the time for as many hats as I need to sell.

2. It is extremely hard to measure circumference without some inherent flaw that ticks a buyer off. If anyone wants to lend me an old school hatter's tool then I would gladly accept it. I tend to give head opening measurements as folks can compare to one of their hats.

So to answer your question simply Scott lol lol the Stetson is tagged as a 7 1/4 but with the refurb from Optimo it is now halfway between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8.

Regards to all,
Hollis

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
2. It is extremely hard to measure circumference without some inherent flaw that ticks a buyer off. If anyone wants to lend me an old school hatter's tool then I would gladly accept it. I tend to give head opening measurements as folks can compare to one of their hats.

So to answer your question simply Scott lol lol the Stetson is tagged as a 7 1/4 but with the refurb from Optimo it is now halfway between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8.

Regards to all,
Hollis

Thanks Hollis. I always measure circumference with a cloth measuring tape and not once had anyone complain. It's really the best way for a potential buyer to determine if the hat is likely to fit.

cptjeff

Practically Family
M_Jones said:
How do you get an accurate measurement with a cloth tape?
The way I've done it is to pick a distinct place to start, place the end of the tape there, and lay out the tape along the sweat, letting the back end go. You work it around until you reach the starting spot, where you have your measurement. As long as the tape is advanced and doesn't slide along the sweatband, you don't need to keep the entire thing in contact at once. If it does slide, just try again. Takes about a minute and gives a much more precise measurement then estimation using the measurement outside the crown or an ellipse calculator.

The join in the sweatband is a good place to use as a mark.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
This is my paper clip method. No damage to the sweat as the clips slide up and down smoothly. Just tighten the tape until flush with the leather.
IMG_02741.jpg

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
You can calculate the circumference of a circle by multiplying Pi (3.14) by the measurement of the diameter - however, the openings of most hats are not circular, but oval or elliptical - and there is no simple formula for finding the circumference or perimeter of an ellipse. You can get an approximation using an online calculator at this site:
http://www.calcenstein.com/calc/1115.php

seed

Familiar Face
John Penman's (I believe it was he who came up with it) blue paint-tape method is easy and very accurate and one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
I put the hat in my lap and kind of rotate it around as I try to "walk" the measuring tape around the inside of the sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner