Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Enfield and Lewis Leathers

Graemsay

Practically Family
Royal Enfield and Lewis Leathers have got together to produce a bike.

enfield-lewis-leathers.jpg

According to MCN, only fifty will be built, and they'll cost £5350.

Right, so who's buying one? :)

ron521

One of the Regulars
That is a very handsome machine. I'm pleased that they are still available. I strongly considered on in 1977 when they first became available in the US.

gfirob

Familiar Face
Are these made in India?

Do I have that right? Does that make them an Indian?

I know that the Iranians nationalized the Land Rover factory in Tehran after the Revolution and there are still old-style Land Rovers driving all over Iran with Chinese engines and Spanish transmissions (if I recall correctly). Same great aluminum body, though...

quickerNu

New in Town
Beautiful machines, the both of them. I can't decide on the next bike- a Ural to take the kiddos along, a Royal-Enfield, or cafe-racer out a Norton.

gfirob

Familiar Face
Old bikes and Aero...

I have a 1952 IMZ M-72, with a sidecar. This is the war-time version of what later became the Ural. A fine accessory to an Aero Bootlegger (except for all the oil it leaks)...

Edward

Bartender
If ever a bike becomes a practical option for me, I'll be loooking for a Royal Enfield, probably a 350cc Bullet (small, efficient, cheap to run and insure, and easier to crawl out from under should I ever spill it...). These can be had used a few years old, in excellent condition, for under a grand GBP. Great bikes, with the general look of something from the early fifties but modern conveniences such as indicator lights.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I think the reason I didn't buy one in 1977 was the very low performance of the 350 (all that was available in the US at first), which limits its usefulness in the US, where it is difficult to go many places without getting on the freeway or the interstate.
Was also concerned about how long it might last, running near full capacity all the time.

I've ridden Matchless, Norton, and BSA singles, and would say the same thing about most of them in 350 cc form.

The 500 cc might be fast enough for interstate useage, and have much better power/weight ratio, since the primary difference is a larger bore diameter and piston.

I've inspected the Enfield in person at a dealer, I do admire the thick metal in the fenders and fuel tank, and the overall design, it does look and feel "like a motorcycle", and probably has less plastic on it than anything on two wheels, including many (most?) new Harleys.

I would actually love to configure my Sportster with 19 inch wheels on both ends, a tank similar to that on Enfield, and the solo seat, to give it that mid-50's profile, actually very close to the original XL model of 1957 (ok, that one had 18 inch wheels, but the look is very similar).

As a former Triumph owner, I'd change the gearshift/brake pedal to the British arrangement with shift on the right, as originally intended.

I wish they would make a nice vertical twin similar to their old "Constellation/Interceptor", which would fit into their existing frame with almost no modification required.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Pushrod said:
This one is mine:D
Enfield6001.jpg

My own 2005 500cc is very similar to Pushrod's, but with the addition of front crash bar and hard metal panniers on the rear. A look right from WWII. Found an old-school retired mechanic to help me change the sprocket for better gearing on the road and tuned it for a bit more power. It is a wonderful ride and I get plenty of stares when I go out on it.

Hopefully I can post some pics sometime...they seem misplaced since the computer update.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Well, here's another-it's a 2007,which I got in the spring of last year. I wanted to get one of the old-style iron-barrel ones before they were all gone. look at the stock muffler,as compared to the slight swelling of Pushrod's exhaust pipe. I may do something about that next year.

RedDeluxe.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I wish they would make a nice vertical twin similar to their old "Constellation/Interceptor", which would fit into their existing frame with almost no modification required.

And now they're getting ready to introduce one! Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I'm hoping to acquire a pre-'06 Bullet 500 in the near future and I'm out looking for inspiration. Planning ultimately to bob mine into something resembling a Model G or WD/CO but with Ariel/Triumph-style ribbed fenders:

1939 1943 Ariel WD NG Red Hunter.jpg
1939 BSA B26.jpg
1943 Royal Enfield WD CO.jpg

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
It looks great, I’d get one for around town but not at all for the highway. Not so much for lack of engine power, but the lack of stopping power. I’ll take vintage for almost everything except my brakes.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I actually just got back from the local dealer and the new bikes have little relationship to the older ones aside from looks--they're supposed to be vastly more rideable and reliable with top speeds around 90 mph instead of 60. As for stopping, the UCE motorcycles have disc brakes--I think some of the late pre-unit cycles may have had a front disc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97