Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rule of Thumb for Sweatband Color? Liner Color?

Sergei

Gone Home
I was just thinking. What dictates the sweatband color and liner color? I just ordered a Mercury Gray Optimo. I ordered a black sweatband and realized that brown or even burgundy would be better looking. Is there a protocol? Or is it just whatever suits your fancy?

-Sergei

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
If they haven't made it yet, you could get them to change it to a color you want.

For my Phantom Blue, I didn't specify anything, and I got a burgundy sweatband, and an ivory silk liner. It looks terrific, as seen here:
1101013_IMG-vi.jpg

Kevin has told me that if they aren't told anything specific, they basically just put in it what they think looks nice, or whatever suits their fancy.
For my Indy Brown, I got a white silk liner, and a burgundy sweatband, because I felt it looked more "indy-ish", like the rolling hat in LC.

BTW, did you get them to put your initials in it? I cannot wait to see the Mercury color in a finished hat.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
leathers

for the sweatband, it used to be brown was the only choice. I preffer it to any other color in a custom hat because it just looks vintage... besides brown leather looks good next to anything.

Borsalino used black white and brown sweatbands (I have seen an original black sweatband in one 30's Borsalino).

Modern hats from the 60's on you will find more color coordinated hats with black sweatbands in grey hats and brown in earthtone hats.

I stick with brown for all of my hats because it has that red brown color, looks vintage to me.

The Optimo Bergundy Sweatbands look vintage too, But I like the brown the best (I like it when someone who knows their hats asks if it's vintage).

Sergei

Gone Home
Yeah, my Mercury Gry just arrived - Indy Style. It's an early B'Day present from my lovely wife (thanks Hun!!). I wasn't thinking when I ordered, I guess I was so wrapped up in the excitement of getting a "green light" from my wife, but I went straight down the middle as far as sweatband color and liner color. I ordered a white liner and black sweat band with my initials. After thinking about it, I am much more impressed seeing hats with brown or burgundy sweatbands and the ivory liners.

I will eventually take pictures, but I really feel and look like crap today. I caught some kind of bug that is apparently hit a lot of people already. I think Michaelson was sick last week. I probably caught the cold from him.

Back to topic. Is there any kind of a color combination that is considered a no-no.

Just curious.

-Sergei
p.s. BTW, in my opinion the Mercury is pretty close to the "Clipper Gray" in Raiders. It's got the brown mixed into the Grey.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hope you get to feeling better.

I'm not sure there is a color combination that is wrong. Matt or Rundquist would probably know better.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
The only combination that I could think of that would be "wrong" would be purple and orange. :p. It comes down to personal taste. Cheers

PS- That's the same combination that I have in my London Gray.
liner7-vi.jpg

Sergei

Gone Home
Originally posted by Rundquist
The only combination that I could think of that would be "wrong" would be purple and orange. :p. It comes down to personal taste. Cheers

Are you sure? That was the combination I was going to ask Kevin. And a polka dot liner. :)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The only combination that I could think of that would be "wrong" would be purple and orange.

You might offend some Clemson fans with that statement. At least around here, anyway ;)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, I see what you mean, it is very nice. That brown with the gold pinstripe is in my Milan straw. I actually think it's softer and more comfortable than their other ones.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
By the way... you guys with the yellow liner, It's limited supply silk.
A test run from China. Optimo is still looking for the right off white yellow to be their trade mark, and this yellow won't be around much longer. It is softer than their other liners.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
OLDEST (or was) thread on this site!

Can I re-start the oldest thread in this site...I went to the last page and picked it up? What is interesting about all the old threads is that OPTIMO was the main takling point back then. BTW, I am awaiting a VS with a purple liner...hope to post pics soon...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love seeing the evolution of the skill and knowledge here.

Optimo was pretty much it for custom hats. I pulled a couple of Art's old threads a few months ago, in which he discussed possibly getting into hat making as a hobby.

There are also threads there Matt Deckard lists some lesser known hat companies. The list is about 12 names, all of which are pretty common to us now - including some that are just store names, like Brooks Brothers. Mingo's latest list is probably over forty companies, but I'm not about to count them.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Boy..alot of time on your hands Daizawaguy?lol lol lol FYI, you hat actually went on the block last night.

Lefty, I was first talking about taking hatting from a hobby/sideline to a business in full when first coming online here. Many of the original posters were also clients of mine, but with Vintage hats not new. I had been doing work for my closest clients ( Jamespowers, AndyKev, etc) but didn't really know if there was a market out there for the kind of "Vintage- off beat" style of mine. Time has told it's story.

Just wanted to do a little correcting lest anyone think I was just a hobbiest now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot