Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum Diary hat on the bay

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The sweatband is pretty convincing as to the authenticity and one-of-a-kindness of the hat. Even if there were more than one hat used in the movie, how many identical hats of that vintage and unusualness could and still be around?
You just answered the question to some degree, if there are more than one hat used in the movie.....the more than one being the operative word. If there can be more than one hat, then it is very possible one hat was not near Mr. Depp in it's existence.

As what can be a "norm" for a movie production, to think about say, the hats used by John Wayne, of Harrison Ford, how many hats were around for use for themselves and for perhaps, "stunt doubles"?

Now this does not prove the hat is NOT a Depp hat, but it does say there is reasonable doubt.

The person listing this hats says they will give the buyer a "letter of authenticity". Humm... I have a spoon that was once used by Moses....I will give you a letter from myself telling you he ate with it.

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It may be, however, hats that are made (unless it is a total custom made hat) are indeed replicated from step one of the process to the last step. For the color of a hat band etc., to match, would not be so far fetched to think it may just be another hat made by the same hat manufacturer.

If it is the same exact hat, worn by Mr. Depp, someone may want to pay a few grand for it. But I would not.
Nope, me neither. If I had Johnny Depp's money ,...maybe.
The colors on the pattern of the band do in fact appear to line up, but the band on the hat Mr. Depp is wearing, appears to be shifted somewhat to the left compared to the pics on ebay. Photoshopped?? :confused:
I wonder what his hat size is, that would add more proof.
And since he is a hat aficionado, maybe he lurks here and will come out and verify this? [huh] :D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Nope, me neither. If I had Johnny Depp's money ,...maybe.
The colors on the pattern of the band do in fact appear to line up, but the band on the hat Mr. Depp is wearing, appears to be shifted somewhat to the left compared to the pics on ebay. Photoshopped?? :confused:
I wonder what his hat size is, that would add more proof.
And since he is a hat aficionado, maybe he lurks here and will come out and verify this? [huh] :D

Well there are a few "bumps" on the hat he wears, that do not show on the hat for sale, but I think it may be some there is a way to find out what size Mr. Depp wears.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This is going to be maybe easier than I thought....you know there are many websites regarding Mr. Depp.....such as Johnny Depp.org.....they have tons of info about him, I just now shot them an email explaining the source of this "hat for sale" and the entire debate, and the size of the hat, the whole nine yards....when they answer me, I will update my posting on this thread.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One could contact Colleen Atwood for questions concerning authenticity as she is the film's costumer. She can be contacted through the Costume Designers Guild.

Personally, I have little doubt of its authenticity.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Its the EXACT same hat. Look at the pleated band colors and see where they line up then compare to the movie poster and the screen shots. No question on this one.

Still not entirely convinced, sorry: when I worked in continuity in film it was my job to make sure that similar stains, creases, and other identifying features appeared on whole sets of identical clothes...
It may indeed be the same hat, but I wouldn't be spending 5k without absolute unquestionable provenance.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not to "stir" the pot too much on this topic, but a few years back someone had a car on auction on the Bay, claiming it was once owned by a famous actor, Peter Falk. The person listing the car, even had a picture of the registration showing that was the name on it. However, there are perhaps a few dozen people with that name, and it was not the actor that owned the car, a US postal letter to the address shown on the registration recovered a reply that the owner was a Peter Falk that worked for the city of Glendale, California. It was a nice car and worth about $70,000.00 but not the $235,000.00 the listing had it listed for, per some "hollywood star" connecting. The listing was pulled after tis information was made aware to the person listing the car.

In addition, I just had my Wife contact the seller of this Hat on the bay and requested some very specific contact information to aide in the verification process.

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The hat is question may not have ever been in the same "State" than Mr. Depp was in. Unless Mr. Depp was willing to give a person a phone call or send them a letter via US Mail, any claim just does not hold much water to it. Far too many items even of people making claims some celebrity "signed" something, are mostly false. What makes it worse, at times, a seller will state they have a "letter of authenticity" to go along with the item....worthless unless the celebrity signed the letter along with a Polaroid of that signing to boot!

Hats2, please take note of the "hold" tags on the box. When a film is shot part of the the rental deal is to hold clothing for "principals" for a period of six months to be able to do retakes if necessary. It is imperative that the same exact hat /clothes be used in those re shoots so the costumer tags the exact clothing and lists the scenes in which the item appears, then attaches it to the item. Not all films have additional hats made based on the script. If there are no scenes needing doubles or risking damage there is normally only one hat needed. Film making is a business like any other and they do not spend money they don't have to.
So, bottom line, unless this seller is a total crook who has inside information of the industry and is clever as hell, this is most likely THE hat. As many here know I dealt with the industry, Colleen especially, so I'm not blowing smoke here. I actually own the hat used in Seabisquit and the only authentication I have for it is the "hold" tag on it. It's the only one needed along with my word.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not to "stir" the pot too much on this topic, but a few years back someone had a car on auction on the Bay, claiming it was once owned by a famous actor, Peter Falk. The person listing the car, even had a picture of the registration showing that was the name on it. However, there are perhaps a few dozen people with that name, and it was not the actor that owned the car, a US postal letter to the address shown on the registration recovered a reply that the owner was a Peter Falk that worked for the city of Glendale, California. It was a nice car and worth about $70,000.00 but not the $235,000.00 the listing had it listed for, per some "hollywood star" connecting. The listing was pulled after tis information was made aware to the person listing the car.

In addition, I just had my Wife contact the seller of this Hat on the bay and requested some very specific contact information to aide in the verification process.

Once satisfied on its authenticity, after bugging all those people about it, are you going to bid/buy the hat?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
All the authenticity questions aside, ( they do have merit for sure) the "value" of the item is the amount of $s that change hands at the end of the transaction. Is it my value, or others is really not relevant when it is all said and done. But the fact is, the "value" of it is what amount of $s changes hands at the end so I cannot say that is NOT it's "value", only it is not what I would pay. I'll bet it will not make that asking price though. It will be interesting to see if it does. :)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Once satisfied on its authenticity, after bugging all those people about it, are you going to bid/buy the hat?
My interest is in not seeing anyone even think of buying something that may not be real. I don't like the hat. If I like a hat I buy it. If that was a John Wayne hat and real, I would have already purchased the hat.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I just got an email from Cheryl Marshall, from the Costume Designer's guild.

Sorry I don't think anyone is gonna like this but the movie hat was purchased from a london hattery place called lockhatters.com, nuff said. sort of makes the claims from the person listing the hat seem, well, not all that true, hum?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Do you have your check book out on that hat?:D

Another note from Ms. Marshall from the guild, to quote, " I am not aware that any of the members of the costume guild would sell any item on eBay".

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you mean Lock & Co as there is no such thing as "lockhatters.com" and I'm skeptical as Lock & Co doesn't sell vintage milan straws from Disney Hats of New York sold by a place in Denver.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I’m attaching a scanned article from the 10/28/11 print edition of (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/) that mentions one of the panama hats worn in the film + the costume designer Colleen Atwood. This particular hat from the article looks like it was purchased from a London millinery shop: http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Panama___Straw_Hats-list.aspx.

Direct quote from the email sent from Cheryl Marshall.

Another direct quote,
Hi Daniel,

I would be very leery and I don’t know if there’s any way you can truly authenticate whether or not this Ebay-listed hat was truly a costume piece from the feature “The Rum Diary” http://www.rumdiarythemovie.com/ (I understood it that the Studio owns everything related to the production of a film, includes costumes/wardrobe, and I believe this film was shot a few years ago/there was a delay in releasing it). FYI the only union costume shop that I’m aware of in West Hollywood is Bill Hargate (http://www.motionpicturecostumers.org/resources.php?message=) and I don’t think union costume houses are in the habit of selling things on Ebay.

So if someone has something from Ms. Atwood, that would alter this person's take on this matter, please do bring it forward and share with everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24