Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum Diary hat on the bay

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well documented and the photos show it to be authentic. Interesting!

navarre

Vendor
I 'll be interested to see if they get the price for this one. Goodness knows we all love Depp in a hat. On looking at it closer I do see the "wrinkle" in the front that shows on the poster. I wasn't doubting it , just curious.

I see initials in the sweatband, which always intrigue me. If vintage hats could tell the story???

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's a straw hat made by Disney,..one of perhaps 1,000s in the same pattern. The box is really just a generic hat box. Is it really worth $5,000 because it was supposedly the hat J. Depp wore in the movie?? I dunno,...something fishy here. I'm a skeptic.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Let's not forget how costuming works on a movie: There are usually several identical hats used during filming. It's even possible that Depp would not even get to wear some of the standby hats because the need did not arise, either because they were for stand-ins, they were for stunt people, or simply because replacements were not needed.

Take another famous movie hat: Indiana Jones'. For the last movie the AdventureBilt Hat Co. were commissioned to create 48 brown Jones fedoras and 2 grey fedoras. Granted, there won't be as much stunt work in The Rum Diary, but I'm sure quite a few must have been created/bought for Depp in case of breakage, for continuity, etc.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Well I was wondering when they would start pimping this hat when I first saw the trailer and posted it here.:) It's a Disney too which you don't see a lot of them out there on the Bay anyway. We should start seeing these come out of the woodwork as the movie open's. Maybe if we are lucky someone will start repo'ing this hat. I love milan's more than Panama's so I am interested in seeing how this play's out.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what the story with the Optimo hat box is. I would have assumed that Graham might have done some refurb work but the sweat is obviously original....

Garrett

Optimo seems to consistently be involved in recent films. Likely, the box was left over from some other job the production costumer had going.

davidraphael

Practically Family
JD: "Ich bin Johnny Depp!" ("I am Johnny Idiot!")

We Americans have trouble with German.

Germans still giggle a bit about JFK's speech back in Berlin '63

What he tried to say was: " I am a Berliner!"

but what he actually said was:

" I am a doughnut!"

(to be fair, this is not strictly true, but it's something that people like to talk about )

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The hat is question may not have ever been in the same "State" than Mr. Depp was in. Unless Mr. Depp was willing to give a person a phone call or send them a letter via US Mail, any claim just does not hold much water to it. Far too many items even of people making claims some celebrity "signed" something, are mostly false. What makes it worse, at times, a seller will state they have a "letter of authenticity" to go along with the item....worthless unless the celebrity signed the letter along with a Polaroid of that signing to boot!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The sweatband is pretty convincing as to the authenticity and one-of-a-kindness of the hat. Even if there were more than one hat used in the movie, how many identical hats of that vintage and unusualness could and still be around?

Garrett

Its the EXACT same hat. Look at the pleated band colors and see where they line up then compare to the movie poster and the screen shots. No question on this one.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Its the EXACT same hat. Look at the pleated band colors and see where they line up then compare to the movie poster and the screen shots. No question on this one.

Yeah, I would agree with this. It looks like the same hat to me. That would be a helluva coincidence to find a hat with a pug lined up in the exact same configuration.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
So maybe part of the $5,000 price is that the hat includes some of Mr. Depp's DNA? Perhaps it could be sold to some laboratory later on for big bucks.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

It may be, however, hats that are made (unless it is a total custom made hat) are indeed replicated from step one of the process to the last step. For the color of a hat band etc., to match, would not be so far fetched to think it may just be another hat made by the same hat manufacturer.

If it is the same exact hat, worn by Mr. Depp, someone may want to pay a few grand for it. But I would not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot