1937 Ad Stetson - "Pie Crust Dents In the Brim"?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by SHOWSOMECLASS, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SHOWSOMECLASS

SHOWSOMECLASS A-List Customer

This 1937 ad on the bay was a new concept to me. The Stetson model was called the Beachcomber. In the description it says, "wear it with pie crust dents in the brim" Was this in vogue during the late 1930's? Most of us are working to remove or smooth out the dents and wrinkles. I cannot recall this expression or style ever being discussed or mentioned here. See for yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Ad-Ste...819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56548453db

2. Lawrence Ullman

Lawrence Ullman New in Town

Sort of like buying pre-ripped jeans or having a carefully and deliberately "tousled" hair style, I guess. Either way, a pre-wrinkled brim is not an option this OCD-prone guy would be picking!

3. Some of my hats look that way, but it's not deliberate.

4. Pre-distressed? Might as well add fake sweat stains too!!!!!

5. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

As a resort hat, it's probably meant to mimic a casual, wavy panama brim.

6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Edit- Thanks to a member for pointing out the ad discussed the brim not the crown.
    Ignore my earlier comment!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  7. Historyteach24

Historyteach24 Call Me a Cab

It said in brim not crown

8. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

The style brought back by Sir Sean (Connery) in the Vuitton luggage ads!

9. RBH

RBH Bartender

I wish people would remember that links to E Bay do not last long.

Here is a screen shot of the add mentioned.

[​IMG]

E Bay links are a total waste of webspace and time.
    Please take the time to post a photo of what you wish to speak of.
    And please do not use Photobucket... that is the only hosting service that I have noticed that alot of the photos in old Lounge threads do not show up

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

So what I have been considering a sign of old age in my PanamaBob Montecristi, is actually a sign of coolness? Good to know. The wrinkles only emerge when the weather gets very muggy. So that's a desirable thing, eh? Who'd a thunk it?

11. SHOWSOMECLASS

SHOWSOMECLASS A-List Customer

Thank you RBH. I do not know how to post anything but the link. Sorry

12. RBH

RBH Bartender

No problem. What I do is save the photo [of the hat or whatever the link points to] then I upload from my computer to Imageshack.
    Really not hard and Imageshack is easy to work with.
    I have noticed that we have lost links to some really cool old hats by not have the photo in the post.
    By the way that is a cool ad.

13. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

I have a reasonably nice Montecriste (approx. 900wpi) that was caught in a downpour a month after I received it. GRrrrrrrrrr!! What I discovered was exactly as the ad says, that it may be worn as a pie crust, (although I hadn't made the crust analogy) a la Sir Sean. I finished out the season before sending it to Dr. Fawcett's Hat Hospital. But wearing it like that, I felt, was the ultimate in chichi chic, if there is such a thing. An obviously high calibre Panama put into a "too busy (or cool?) to care" look. My doctor even commented that it looked very suave... I didn't tell her what had happened. Wonk away!!

14. Kbobrex

Kbobrex New in Town

I think that the interesting part of this lies in the fact that there is an inherent conflict where an item, be it a hat, or a classic guitar, etc., is something that is both functional and ultimately collectible...probably more so with a hat, which as part of one's apparel, is unavoidably a fashion statement. There is always that nagging concern, when playing my 50 year old guitar, that if I ding it, it will be less valuable if I choose to sell it some day. Same with a classic fedora.... or over-under shotgun. The higher the price tag/value, the greater the temptation to look to the future, rather than wear/play/shoot the high quality item that you went out of your way to acquire.

I've decided that, while I will take care of these possessions to the best of reasonable ability, I would rather use them and enjoy them than obsess over every evidence of use that these things inevitably acquire.

Guess I'm not a collector.

15. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

So true. Very astute comment.

16. skyvue

skyvue Call Me a Cab

Meanwhile, $45 for a advert cut out of a magazine??

Sheesh.