Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rush

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I love this movie! I’m a fan of Steve McQueen’s Le Mans and the Grand Prix movie with James Garner but Rush takes racing portrayals to a whole new level. It’s the dramatization of a real life event, the competition between James Hunt of Great Britain and Niki Lauda of Austria during 1976 to claim the Formula 1 World Racing Chanmpionship. Hunt is played by Chris Hemsworth and Lauda by Daniel Bruhl.

Normally I won’t give a movie 5 out of 5 stars on the basis that few movies are good enough to rate five. This movie, however, is such a powerful portrayal of human drive and spirit that I can’t help but give it 5 stars. It’s not a technical movie but there are plenty of race sequences within the film. It’s more a depiction of the personal struggles (no doubt overly dramatized for impact) about the lives of two men trying to claim a near unattainable goal. Both are portrayed as misfit outcasts, driven by their abilities, arrogance, and sheer will. James Hunt is a flamboyant, undisciplined, carousing, drugging, skirt chasing, wise guy who actually claimed he had bedded over 5000 women and who was hung-over every time he got on the track. He was basically disowned by his family because of his desire to race rather than go to law school or medical school. Lauda on the other hand carries a stern Prussian demeanor, very smart, very disciplined, analytical, rational, and very straight-laced – dislikable at first glance. His family was a powerful, old money Austrian banking family that disowned him over his racing desires and he was out to prove a point. The contrast between the two personalities helps to strengthen the tale.

The movie starts but quickley flashes back to build a complete background from which the story continues to unfold forward. The rivalry between Hunt and Lauda is established and developed to a bitter level between two men racing Formula 1 cars around the tracks at speeds approaching 200 mph. As the tension between the two builds over the course of the 1976 season, Lauda loses control of his Ferrari at Germany’s Grand Prix at Nurburgring in August of that year and crashes. He is hospitalized and hovers near death for several days before emerging with terrible facial burns and lung injuries from his entrapment in the blazing racer. The film offers a very distinct portrayal of all this and his subsequent disfiguring scarring. He suffers and struggles through recovery to reappear and compete at Italy’s Grand Prix just 6 weeks later at the astonishment of everyone.

Rush is really a great film. The final scenes are, at least to me, a heartfelt example of two mis-fit misfits exchanging thoughts on the lives they’ve lived, their own shortcomings, and their victories, fleeting as they may be.

This is now one of my favorite movies.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Why didn't it fare better at the Box Office? It wasn't for lack of trying... before it opened you couldn't spend a minute on Fox Sports or ESPN without hearing an ad for it. Thanks for the review though, I'll have to look for it.

Worf

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Worf,

Why didn't it fare better at the Box Office? It wasn't for lack of trying... before it opened you couldn't spend a minute on Fox Sports or ESPN without hearing an ad for it. Thanks for the review though, I'll have to look for it.

Not sure why it didn't get a good following but if you read the movie reviews it is rated top level. It was an independent flick turned down by Hollywood, directed by Ron Howard, and cost only $50M to make. Maybe Hollywood felt it didn't have enough sex, foul language, hatred, political correctness, and gun violence. I think it may well be Howard's best film ever and I need to look more closely at some of his other work. I will say that from all the reviews and interviews I've gone over the film is reported by everyone who knew the real story and people to be very accurate in its portrayal of what actually happened.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Excellent movie ... for my money the best racing film ever made, though I like some of the older ones for their ambiance. Auto racing has always seemed like a great subject for motion picture treatment yet it has often been strangely uncinematic. This one mixes character and just enough of each race to work well. Having grown up around this scene (my uncle drove SCCA, B-production, CanAm, GTO, GTU and probably classes I've never heard of) it was an eerily accurate film. Car racing is still open to someone's great filmic interpretation, the aspect of the mechanic's prep for each race and each track is fascinating (a touch of it was in Rush when they had to change the tires because of rain), and the nuance of driving, the tiny differences in approach that make make or break a race, the moves that overload a car and break it or the make or break timing and steering adjustments, if established correctly so the audience really got it, could be fantastically suspenseful.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Worf,

Not sure why it didn't get a good following but if you read the movie reviews it is rated top level. It was an independent flick turned down by Hollywood, directed by Ron Howard, and cost only $50M to make. Maybe Hollywood felt it didn't have enough sex, foul language, hatred, political correctness, and gun violence. I think it may well be Howard's best film ever and I need to look more closely at some of his other work. I will say that from all the reviews and interviews I've gone over the film is reported by everyone who knew the real story and people to be very accurate in its portrayal of what actually happened.
Executives didn't understand Howard's Arrested Development, so it was cancelled too early.
Then after Netflix picked it up, the program gained a cult status, and people were able to watch each episode several times to get all of the jokes.
I assume this will be the case with Howard once again, the movie will have to go to Netflix/DVD for people to watch and understand it.
Plus IMHO this is a slim market now days, a period film about auto racing? No Will Smith, The Rock, or (insert popular actor/actress here)?
Being a fan of this genre, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Also, I'm waiting for Snake and Mongoose to come out on DVD.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
great film that brought back loads of memories and I have no interest in formula 1 at all....I remember clearly me and my brother running around the back garden in our Action Man(GI Joe) underpants after reading about Hunt winning the Drivers Championship 1976 after winning six? races that year, it was a very hot summer here that year and I seem to recall us reading in the paper how he'd won the British? Grand Prix ...we thought it was hilarious running around shouting grand prix, big prix, little prix before our mum set about us with one of her Scholl shoes , lots of memories prompted by a great film!

Edward

Bartender
Watched it on a long haul flight home from Beijing over the weekend. Wasn't sure if I wanted to see it, but I had the time to kill, I'd already seen the other alternatives (almost lost out to what looked like a stunning 20s-set Chinese gangster noir called The bullet Vanishes, but alas there was no English language option for that one). I was too young in 76 to fully take it in, but my dad's a big F1 fan and based on what I do remember of the era and his aving talked about it, this has it spot on with Lauda as the steely, determined Austrian, and Hunt the Shunt as an appalling playboy-type. Hunt certainly comes over for the most of it as the ass I remember him to have been. I did wonder whether the sequence where he gives an English journo a hiding over his line of questioning to Lauda was real, or added in to give his character a more sympathetic edge. What is certainly absolutely spot on - and I was impressed they didn't shy away from it - is that Hunt only won because other people lost. But for Lauda's absence on the track for several races, Hunt wouldn't have even been a contender in Japan, and Lauda could have retired from that race and still won. That it also too kseveral other people to have problems and get taken out before Hunt won.... well. That's how it went down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot