Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S&H Greenstamps

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad was a big collector of S&H Green Stamps
and had a drawer full of books. He got me my first school brief case using his green
stamps! I remember it to this day. Ah, Speery & Hutchinson!

-dixon cannon

Foofoogal

Banned
we lived to save our stamps and go with our mom once a year near Christmas to the redemption store to shop. It was like heaven. lol

hag

New in Town
green stamps

Sperry and Hutchinson (S & H) green stamps from th M&J supermarket in Chattanooga got me my Big Dipper first baseman's mitt. Hag

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As a kid I would regularly harvest the stamps from the glove compartments of the family cars, which had accrued from gas and grocery purchases. Funny but I can't recall a single thing I ever redeemed them for. :eek:

Anybody remember Plaid stamps from A&P?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, geez! Those things! Yes, we were stamp lickers. We had stacks of books with the edges of stamps sticking out the edges, bunches of stamps in drawers, unlicked. We slobbered all over the damned things and stuck them into the books. Gaarrrossss! But we got lots of neat (cheapo but serviceable, as I recall) things.
My mom, being a heavy smoker, collected Raleigh coupons for a while as well. I recall she got some nice things with them, too.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
We slobbered all over the damned things and stuck them into the books. Gaarrrossss!
I distinctly remember my mother handing me a damp sponge and a bowl of water after hearing me complain of the nasty taste. lol

JimWagner

Practically Family
How about them stamp lickers, ain't they champs?
Drool, slurp, slobber, lickin' them stamps.
Lickin' them green stamps, lickin' them blue,
Lickin' that paper, eatin' that glue.
Look at them stamp lickers, ain't they gung ho?
Lickin' them thrift stamps with they tongue-o,
Them l ollygoggle stamp lickers, ain't they a rage?
Stickin' them licky-stamps on that page.
How to be a stamp licker? Don't need a ticket.
Get a stamp or two, juice up and lick it!

- Mason Williams

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh boy! I remember my mom collecting these and we'd paste them into the booklets. The best part was going to the store to get stuff for the stamps. I think we just called it the "Stamp Store." I remember gazing longingly at the toys on the shelf...

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I haven't thought about S&H Greenstamps in ages! Now that the memory has resurfaced, I can even tell you the kitchen drawer my Gram kept the books in! :) She was a practical Gram (socks and underwear type) but on two occasions, I was allowed to spend Greenstamps on Breyer Horses. I suppose it helped that I chose "Man O War" and "Halla" who were famous racers. Gram enjoyed the club house at the local track (club sandwiches, creme de menthe parfaits and the ponies) maybe even more than her Greenstamps! lol

PS I still have my Breyer Horses in the attic!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We had Blue Chip Stamps

They gave them with grocery, gas, etc. purchases. We kids used to lick and paste the stamps into books. If I recall, there was a "free" spot in the middle or somewhere on some of the pages..so you didn't have to fill it completely. It was a long time ago. There was a big "warehouse" on Cutting Blvd. in the city of Richmond were we would drive down an "buy" things. I remember my mother getting a table lamp there.

I don't remember when the stopped issuing them. All grocery stores had a separate "dispenser" machine in the checkstand to give out the stamps. Women would proudly have a long sheet of stamps that were in a continuous roll, with their equally long cash register receipt. So long ago.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I, too, remember S&H Green Stamps. My mother, grandmother, and aunts collected them. We would go to the "green stamp store" in Asheville, NC a couple times a year. I remember them getting me a pedal car from the green stamp store. Also, there is still a metal kitchen table in the old house that came from the green stamp store sometime in the mid 1950's. It's a little warn and the drawer is loose, but it is still very serviceable. I eat my breakfast on that old table every day.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I used to have an early 70s S&H catalog that even had Ford cars in it...that would have involved a whole lot of stamps!

Remember when the Shell station gave out glassware with a fill up? Our local carwash had vinyl records on a display, and gave away a single with every full service carwash.

Makes me feel old just thinking about this stuff...

TomS

One Too Many
I haven't thought of green stampsd in years. There was a redemption store in the town I grew up in, and I recall getting a skateboard with books and books of those stamps...lol!

I can taste the paste

All that was required was reading the title of this thread and I was right back there at the kitchen table with my little sister, helping my mom lick the stamps and stick them in the books. I know we got lots of practical things too - and if I am not mistaken the occasional fill up of gasoline...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
I used to have an early 70s S&H catalog that even had Ford cars in it...that would have involved a whole lot of stamps!

Remember when the Shell station gave out glassware with a fill up? Our local carwash had vinyl records on a display, and gave away a single with every full service carwash.

Makes me feel old just thinking about this stuff...

And do you recall when, I think it was Shell, gave out coins with the presidents' likenesses on them? I also believe that one oil company gave out Disneyland activity books (at least here in southern CA).

mflemming

One of the Regulars
Here in Chicago we had two sorts of stamps, the S&H green ones, from the Jewel Food Stores, and another one that was yellow from the National Tea Company stores. I can't remember the name of the yellow ones, but if I think about it long enough it will probably come back to me.

We had one drawer in the kitchen for all the stamps. When it started to overflow my Mother would declare and all-day stamp-sticking session.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran