Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddle Oxfords

Bump, and gloat

Musta done something to please the gods ... I had been thinking about buying a pair of saddle shoes. Even went so far as to stop by a couple of discount outlets (I'm notoriously cheap) and call a couple of others but, alas, no one had any and couldn't say when they might. I was almost resigned to paying retail. But I stopped in my favorite charity thrift store yesterday and there they were -- a dark-brown-saddle-over-lighter-brown-body pair made of bison leather by H.S. Trask, in nice condition and just slightly too large, which means they fit fine when worn over a thick pair of socks. Set me back 10 bucks plus sales tax. (I was tempted to hold off on the purchase until today -- half-price day -- but I figured I shouldn't offend the spirits by pushing my luck so blatantly, especially when they were so good as to put those shoes in front of my nose.)

John in Covina said:
A pair of Doctor Scholl's insoles may help their fit.

Thanks for the tip. I don't question for a moment your knowledge of such things (you used to be a shoe salesman, right?), but could you explain how that works? Does reducing one dimension -- in this case the vertical one -- effectively reduce the others?
BTW John, do you have an opinion of H.S. Trask's offerings? Several years ago I spotted a pair in a shop window and liked the look of them so much that I played against type and paid retail. But they didn't hold up well, I'm sorry to report. I don't know (of course) how old my "new" saddle shoes are, but the outer sides of the heels are worn down a bit so they've clearly seen SOME use, yet the uppers and the interiors remain in quite nice condition. So far, so good, I suppose.

tonyb said:
Does reducing one dimension -- in this case the vertical one -- effectively reduce the others?
The size of the interior of the shoe is an interior of say a box. If you change the interior demesions on any side, in this case the bottom with insoles, you do make them smaller, more snug.

Marq

Familiar Face
For some nice guys shoes in the UK try. www.rocketoriginals.co.uk they are also having some nice Ladies wedges made too at the moment so the gurls don't feel left out .I have seen these shoes close up and they are quality................Paul

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Indy Magnoli said:
Here are a pair of saddle shoes we just finished for someone:

mc-saddleshoe-main.jpg

mc-saddleshoe-sm2.jpg

Tan & Black calf with leather soles and rubber heel.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

As it turned out, these were made a bit too small for my customer, so if anyone is interested, I'll let these go for half the normal price. They are a size 9.5-10 US. E-mail or PM me for more info...

Kind regards,
Indy

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Several months ago I bought a pair of Nunn Bush saddle shoes on sale for $30. I like them. They are comfortable and tough. The other day I had a guy step on one of them with all of his weight and there wasn't even a scuff. They didn't fit great at first but then I put in an insole and they now fit very well. Not the best saddle shoe but still very good. Now I'm in the market for a pair of saddle shoes in white/brown.

nunnbushsaddleaz7.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I just love these - any views?

I would buy these if they were my size....

Something about them that is... primeval???

Back on the couch? I'll go quietly.....

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not to be an ignoramus, but can someone explain in detail what "corrected grain leather" means, or show me the relevant thread? I think I know but I want to be sure.
I have a pair of Florsheim oxblood and black saddles that are just marvelous, absolutely brilliant, superb fit.

(Where did I get them? Let's just say Good Will Hunting is NOT just the name of a Matt Damon film. And let's just say $5.99.)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Not to be an ignoramus, but can someone explain in detail what "corrected grain leather" means, or show me the relevant thread? I think I know but I want to be sure.
I have a pair of Florsheim oxblood and black saddles that are just marvelous, absolutely brilliant, superb fit.

(Where did I get them? Let's just say Good Will Hunting is NOT just the name of a Matt Damon film. And let's just say $5.99.)

The best shoe leather is taken from the hide of a calf, because it is smoother, more supple, and more finely grained than more mature hide. However, it's also more expensive. Some shoe makers, to save money, will use leather that is from more mature cattle, or skins that have flaws in them--scars from barbed wire, bites from parasites, etc. In order to make this cheaper-quality leather look better, the top layer with its grain and flaws is sanded off, the color is applied, and then the skin is covered with a waxy, plasticky finish to give it a fake shine. This shine fades after a while and doesn't take well to re-polishing. Worst of all, if the leather gets scuffed or scraped, the shoes are often ruined because the blemishes can't be polished out as they could with a higher-quality skin.

As a general (but not exception-proof) rule, better-quality shoes are not shiny when they're new from the box, but they will shine up quite nicely with enough elbow grease. Cheaper corrected-grain shoes are shinier when brand-new, but won't ever look as nice once they've been worn a bit.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orgetorix said:
The best shoe leather is taken from the hide of a calf, because it is smoother, more supple, and more finely grained than more mature hide. However, it's also more expensive. Some shoe makers, to save money, will use leather that is from more mature cattle, or skins that have flaws in them--scars from barbed wire, bites from parasites, etc. In order to make this cheaper-quality leather look better, the top layer with its grain and flaws is sanded off, the color is applied, and then the skin is covered with a waxy, plasticky finish to give it a fake shine. This shine fades after a while and doesn't take well to re-polishing. Worst of all, if the leather gets scuffed or scraped, the shoes are often ruined because the blemishes can't be polished out as they could with a higher-quality skin.

As a general (but not exception-proof) rule, better-quality shoes are not shiny when they're new from the box, but they will shine up quite nicely with enough elbow grease. Cheaper corrected-grain shoes are shinier when brand-new, but won't ever look as nice once they've been worn a bit.

Excellent explanation, and I examined the threads you referenced as well. Thank you. It is indeed what I suspected: a heat-seal on the very top layer of the leather coupled with a super smooth shiny substance that seems baked in; and if you scratch that layer, you get a weird white color underneath. Isn't patent leather like that too?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My new (used) RL Saddle Shoes

Difficult to get these in my size and only USD59.

My question is are the Polo RL Saddles cobbler leather?

Please advise all youse experts....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass