Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddle Oxfords

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
Is the seam split at the back or do my eyes deceive me?

I don't think that the back seam is split. It looks as if the leather has folded back slightly. A bit of water (over the polished leather) might bring it back.

As for the white parts, well, scuffing happens. In the '30s-'50s, students deliberately scuffed their saddle shoes and white bucks. (And we thought that kids in those days weren't rebellious!) Below is a photo of a saddle shoe worn by a college student (with a suit on!) at a 1939 Benny Goodman concert. The scuffing is beyond extreme:

newpics.jpg

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Here's a horribly dumb question...just bought a pair of saddle shoes (and yeah, I know, not supposed to wear 'em until spring, but I had to anyway and got lots of compliments). But...how do you clean them? Specifically, the red crepe sole, where it gets scuffed/dirty from driving (contacting the floor of the car)?

Told ya it was a dumb question :)

max the cat

Familiar Face
saddles

those Polo saddles are sharp

I have a pair of orangeish brown w/brown overlay that were 25$ at TJ Maxx i suspect Hilfiger or piracy still a nice enough entry into saddles.

are the Muffy's any good?

max

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The ones from Nordstrom are very nice. I like the dark leather on suede. That is a great price too. I may have to pick up a pair.

I got mine at J Crew. Here they are:

They usually come out in the spring and end up in their sale room shortly after. I think they end up being around $40, but you have to wait until mid-summer. They are made in Italy and very soft. I recommend them as well, if you're looking for lighter leather.

The way that suede gets dingy, it's good to have more than one pair, so I may have to get a pair of those.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I just picked up these saddles off the bay. While I really like the lighter suede with a dark saddle, the overall darker tones on these were appealing. Coupled with a nice three-piece tweed suit, they'll be the perfect compliment to my professor's attire.
1228b156.jpg

p.s. Nice look Hemingway!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Saddle Shoes

Has anyone got a view on the Florsheim saddles which are like USD120 and get good reviews from the punters on Zappos etc?

Hemingway Jones said:
I got mine at J Crew. Here they are:

They usually come out in the spring and end up in their sale room shortly after. I think they end up being around $40, but you have to wait until mid-summer. They are made in Italy and very soft. I recommend them as well, if you're looking for lighter leather. The way that suede gets dingy, it's good to have more than one pair, so I may have to get a pair of those.
HJ,

I like those a lot, hope they do them as part of the Spring line up in my size.

Best regards,

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Love these!

Went down to Remix Shoes a couple weeks ago and bought these.
2tonebucksm.gif

I really dig em! Comfortable too.
I like the russet leather. Look pretty cool with my 501s.

Interesting note:

I asked if they were making more styles of mens shoes. He said "not really".

He told me they sell about 600 pairs of womans shoes to every one of mens.

I was blown away by that.

I guess the average guy who want a "vintage" look will go for the engineer boot or Converse Allstars. Theyre safe you know.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Co-respondent Shoes

BigSleep said:
2tonebucksm.gif

Interesting note:

I guess the average guy who want a "vintage" look will go for the engineer boot or Converse Allstars. Theyre safe you know.

Interesting comment because I notice that Peter Sheppard one of the top shoe stores in Sydney is going totally towards womens shoes based on their new cattledogue

It is funny you have posted these because they are very much like the trad UK co-respondent shoes. I have a pair very similar. The UK jobs have the big white vamp that sits flat and minimal detail. A bit like the Gittes shoes from Indy.

Do you find the Remax shoes good quality? The price is good. Their spectators look nice too!

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Remix shoes

So far the quality is good. they are pretty comfortable and light. the leather seems nice and the stitching is very good.

I will be buying others from them.

Trickeration

Practically Family
BigSleep said:
2tonebucksm.gif

Interesting note:

Nice shoes. :) Here are mine. Early 1950's Lazy Bones womens golf shoes. I have them in a couple of different color combinations, and one pair in the same color pattern as yours. Had to buy an old spike wrench to take out the spikes, though, but they go with everything.
pict2490sh0.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How's the comfort on the Nordie's version? I went downtown looking for a pair and was told they had only sold 3 pair in the 7 years the saleslady had been there. :eek:

So they had no more, I'd have to order. :(

She also said they tended to be very stiff, I was uncertain if that was just the opinion of guys who hadn't worn many new dress shoes or if they were truly stiffer than normal?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Two tone saddles

What with AEs having "cobbler" aka corrected leather in their modern saddles are the Florsheims a go for the mahogany/black combo for price and being real leather??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass