Safari Shopping

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Spatterdash, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Spatterdash

Spatterdash A-List Customer

Just an idea,

the summer heat has had a lot of people looking into linen and cotton, tan and khaki, epaulets and pockets...safari wear.
    There are a number of threads that have discussed various topics and items from history and film in this arena, so I thought I'd create a dumping ground of sorts for the Archives.
    What sites and stores do you recommend and for what items? Let's list them all.

Please give links and feel free to add commentary concerning specific pieces of safari wear that you are familiar with. This way, one thread can become something of a marketplace reference, a first place to check when looking for particular type of shirt, boots, pants, jackets, gear, etc.

2. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

I just came across this zombie thread. Safari gear you want? TAG is your source. Made in Africa by Africans for Africa.

jswindle2 likes this.
  3. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

I’ve got to admit: that TAG Safari jacket looks pretty nice. Here is a short-sleeved jacket that looks good:

https://www.travelsmith.com/product/mens-safari-short-sleeved-jacket.do

One of my pet peeves, however, is when they describe epaulets as being designed to hold camera or binocular straps. A sure sign that the advertising idiots know not of what they are writing. That is not the original purpose of epaulets.

Anyway. Carry on. This thread has great potential. I would love to find an “A to Z” website for buying all manner of khaki utilitarian garb; where does one find desert tiger-stripe camouflage khaki wardrobe? Or genuine khaki desert boots? Elegant linen suits? Or hats to go with? Classic khaki trousers? I will be monitoring this thread. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Correus likes this.
  4. JC225

JC225 One of the Regulars

I have had pretty good luck on "What Price Glory"!

Correus likes this.
  5. Correus

Correus New in Town

I've been collecting vintage safari/expedition gear, attire and accoutrements for decades. Always on the lookout for new sourse.

6. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi
    I have a LOT of WPG's stuff. I was being silly and bought an Indiana Jones Gas Mask bag, put on my own strap and had nothing to use it for. For lack of any of other use, I'm building an Raiders of the Lost Ark Party bag, got a bottle opener, a wine opener, and will probably add Sea Salt and a Pepper grinder I guess. Cool as hell in a uber nerd way.
    Later

7. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi again

Are linen vests and jacket actually cool in the summer? I was considering having one made for next year, providing I'm still here.

Later

RBH likes this.
  8. The one from the North

The one from the North New in Town

IMHO linen is cooler than cotton. I've worn both in hot and dry as well as hot and humid enviroments, and linen handles perspiration better. Now somebody tell me how summer weight wool behaves, haven't tried that yet? Still plenty of time 'til next summer and travel to warmer locations seems to be out of question, so good time to get some new hot weather set...