Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salmagundi

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Salmagundi Renovation

Hello All,

I found a hat in a Concord, MA., antique shop about a year ago. It was a Homburg and from the cut I guessed it was from the mid to late 30's (very straight and tall crown). The hat was filthy and about 1/4 size to small so I took a pass on it; to much work.

After my BCF hat, which I had re-done by Optimo, ended up under the wheels of a truck I needed another black fedora. I tried to buy a hat off Ebay, but what I got was gray batter's helmet with a synthetic grosgrain ribbon on it. To make matters worse, it was to large and when I tried to exchange it for the correct size I ended up in a two month long Paypal/Ebay battle with the seller who lied his butt off trying to keep my money AND the hat.

Anyway, by the time the nightmare ended that hat in Concord started to look pretty good.

I bought the hat and stripped it down to the felt. I wanted to see what condition it was in before I decided on my next move. I tried to hand wash the liner in Woolite and it fell apart like a bad cover-story.

The felt was VERY impressive. It was firm and a cleaning with masking tape revealed it was in perfect condition.

I considered sending it to Optimo, as they did a wonderful job on my old BCF and a Knox Homburg they turned into a snap brim for me (my bestest hat).

Thinking globally and acting locally, I took my hat down to Salmagundi in Jamaica Plain, MA.

For those who've never been there; fantastic. The staff is young (damn them!), the selection is good, and they do renovations.

I talked to the guy who owns the place (forgot your name, but reddish hair and beard), and told him exactly what I wanted.

The hat took a week longer than quoted (I did say I wanted it RIGHT, not RIGHT NOW, but my fingers were crossed when I said it). The owner recommended a telescoped bash to tame the hat's 5+ inches tall crown that made the hat look unbalanced even with a 2 3/4 inch brim.

The results are below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Total cost was about $150 (hat + work), but for that I got a 1930's stetson cut the way I wanted it. The work was not EXACTLY the same as Optimo's, but the difference is negligable and supporting a local is worth more to me.

Let the Oh's and Ah's begin...

Last edited:

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hey,

Jessen of Salmagundi got a full page write up in the G Section of the Boston Globe.

He is going to be impossible to live with him now...

The version I found on the Globe's website makes me wanna reach through my monitor and slap the reporter and the copy editor. What the hell is a "Stetson borsalino"? If the writer and editor can't answer that question (and they can't, of course) they shouldn't let it see the light of day.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hey, its a reporter we are talking about.

If reporters were all that bright someone would be writing about them rather than them writing about everyone else...

The overall talent level of the reporting corps, at least those on the large metropolitan dailies, was higher back when newspapers were financially healthier.

That little feature reads like something an upper-level journalism major wrote for a class assignment.

The reporter has indeed transgressed, but the sin isn't his alone. (Or hers. There are two names on the byline -- one a he, the other a she.) The editor sent out these two (apparent) rookies to report on things about which they know next to nothing. Careful fact-checking is especially important under such circumstances.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Salmagundi (sounds like something you catch from undercooked pork).....lol I guess I will have to look this up to know who is who.....lol!

facade

A-List Customer
Salmagundi (sounds like something you catch from undercooked pork).....lol I guess I will have to look this up to know who is who.....lol!

I regret looking up the definition. It is quite a disappointment. To salve my wounds, I have made up my own definition.

"Thou base scoundrel! Thou hedge-born son-of-a salmagundi!"

FedoraRobert

New in Town
i am just a beginner, but Kira at salmagundi did a SUPERB job deep cleaning and blocking a very old, very dirty hat i bought. a Dobbs from new york. it now looks very rich and clean. i am buying some more old hats from a friend and will send them all to her.

best,
Bob:)

Lorne

One of the Regulars
The "hedge born" at Salmagundi have done restorations of a number of my hats.

It has the best inventory in town (if you like the new stuff), the only folks who work on vintage hats and its a fun experience to go. I mean, Jess keeps booze behind the counter; what more could you want?

Also, there are some great places to eat in the immediate area...

The "hedge born" at Salmagundi have done restorations of a number of my hats.

It has the best inventory in town (if you like the new stuff), the only folks who work on vintage hats and its a fun experience to go. I mean, Jess keeps booze behind the counter; what more could you want?

Also, there are some great places to eat in the immediate area...

It is indeed heartening to read this. Making a go of a bricks-and-mortar specialty shop is always a challenge. That these people are keeping the doors open selling and refurbishing HATS in the second decade of the 21st century tells me they're doing something right.

facade

A-List Customer
I regret looking up the definition. It is quite a disappointment. To salve my wounds, I have made up my own definition.

"Thou base scoundrel! Thou hedge-born son-of-a salmagundi!"

For those who are humor-impaired or for those whom finding offense is a full time job (see below); It is not my intention to insult the employees or owners of the hatshop Salmagundi. I am simply offering a more rough and tumble definition of the word "salmagundi" as an alternative to the effeminate definitions in the dictionary.

Last edited:

Lorne

One of the Regulars
"The effeminate definitions in the dictionary..."

And now you've earned the ire of the ladies.

I'd quit while I was behind if I were you.

FedoraRobert

New in Town
an old hat!

let's see if I can attach a photo.

I got a very old, very dirty Dobbs hat. sent to Salmagundi in Boston for cleaning. came out like new! they do a GREAT job!

bob FullSizeRender.jpg

FedoraRobert

New in Town
looks better in real life. a dark, rich, chocolate brown. I sent them about 12 hats, unbelievable results! deep clean, block, etc. even repaired the leather hatbands. Salmagundi, Jamaica plain, boston, mass! nice also to wear a 40 year old hat!

thanks! bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy