Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sandals for men?

anyexcuse

New in Town
Are sandals ever an approved footware for a gentleman outside of perhaps a ocean front vacation?

I have never thought it proper for a man to wear sandals in any normal situations, especially with socks. :eeek: A close friend of mine who wears them in the summer reminded me that Jesus wore sandals, which made me think twice.:)

Sorry if I have offended anyone. I am just trying to learn what is acceptable.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Sandals and socks is the other thread.

I have mixed feelings towards sandals. As a college student, I see people wearing flip flops all year long, and that annoys me immensely, but I understand that sandals are extremely comfortable and they go well with the ultra-casual dress code which our society has established.

However, I, and many others, have rather ugly feet. Most feet are rather ugly. I don't want to see yours when I am going about my daily business, and you don't want to see mine.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've been wearing my Dr Martens for at least a decade, every summer. I really don't care if others don't approve. There are plenty of reference photos of men in sandals from every decade, and they look good in them.

You can find bad images of any garments or shoe. I don't think it's good to make generalizations.
Except for sandals with socks. No. No.

10915201.png

anyexcuse

New in Town
I've been wearing my Dr Martens for at least a decade, every summer. I really don't care if others don't approve. There are plenty of reference photos of men in sandals from every decade, and they look good in them.

You can find bad images of any garments or shoe. I don't think it's good to make generalizations.
Except for sandals with socks. No. No.

[/IMG]

Did gentlemen wear sandals in the "golden era"? Just wondering.

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Living in the south I wear sandals in the summer. I do not like the flip look and go for a fisherman type because I like the ventalation, but i also like having my toes protected and not offending anyone. I do not wear them with socks.

Kirk H.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
It depends: I wear sandals (without socks) in the summer, when I'm at home, spending some free time with myself. I never wear them (and I follow the same rule when it comes to shorts, btw) publicly or when I'm invited. At home it is or may be a proper outfit - but it is never when you are with someone.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think a key point is what one means by 'sandals.' Is a sandal anything with holes in it? Open toes?

I don't care for flip-flops for anywhere but in the house or at the beach or pool. Flip-flops say to me that the person wearing them is somehow not quite dressed. But walking, hiking, or 'athletic' sandals, with thicker straps, including a backstrap to keep it on the foot, are fine with me.

Edward

Bartender
I am considering a pair of leather sandals fo next Summer, but I shall only wear them with socks. Closed (or near to closed) toe, of course.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Sandals and socks is the other thread.

I have mixed feelings towards sandals. As a college student, I see people wearing flip flops all year long, and that annoys me immensely, but I understand that sandals are extremely comfortable and they go well with the ultra-casual dress code which our society has established.

However, I, and many others, have rather ugly feet. Most feet are rather ugly. I don't want to see yours when I am going about my daily business, and you don't want to see mine.

No disrespect and don't read into this as something I am all weirdo about, but some folks actually do have a "foot fetish".....(zing)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk