Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santa Claus Is Over

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One probably should have the experience of raising children before labeling the parenting decisions of others as inducing psychosis. :)

Having children is in itself a magical experience. Watching them walk for the first time, the first smile, when they bring you kindergarten art work - and when you see their eyes on that amazingly special morning when all the world seeks peace and brotherhood... walk a mile in my shoes brother, and we'll talk.

Ever heard a grownup say "Those dirty so-and-so's... they LIED to me about SANTA! I was screwed up for YEARS" ?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In Chile, children are taught about the Tooth Mouse. When they lose a tooth, it goes under the pillow. The Tooth Mouse comes at night to pick it up: she uses children's teeth to build her house.

My wife refuses to accept that ours is a Tooth Fairy.

Oh, and down there, Santa Claus is called the "Viejo Pascuero" ("Old Christmaser"), and he comes in the summer.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
In Chile, children are taught about the Tooth Mouse. When they lose a tooth, it goes under the pillow. The Tooth Mouse comes at night to pick it up: she uses children's teeth to build her house..

I hope she doesn't leave droppings under the pillows...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was confused as to why the Tooth Fairy left a quarter when I was at home, and more like a dollar when I was at a sleepover at a friend's house.

And my sister...well, the Tooth Fairy must have been hitting the booze, because when my sister was on a Girl Scout trip that my parents didn't go on, the Tooth Fairy left a five. I was all :eek: :eek: :eek:

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
scotrace said:
One probably should have the experience of raising children before labeling the parenting decisions of others as inducing psychosis. :)

Having children is in itself a magical experience. Watching them walk for the first time, the first smile, when they bring you kindergarten art work - and when you see their eyes on that amazingly special morning when all the world seeks peace and brotherhood... walk a mile in my shoes brother, and we'll talk.

Ever heard a grownup say "Those dirty so-and-so's... they LIED to me about SANTA! I was screwed up for YEARS" ?

Rock on, Scotrace...I love the way you say things. :D

My daughter is 19 now, and I "perpetuated the myth of Santa" her whole life. We wrote letters, left out cookies and milk, and carrots for the reindeer every year until she got too old to do it. Even when we were very poor, Santa always came. I have never seen any evidence that she was adversely affected by this, and she loves Christmas because she says it was always magical for her. She is going to have my grandbaby in October and I know she will have an absolute blast telling her daughter all about Christmas and Santa. Somehow, I don't think that getting hung up about it is a good use of time for us. We just enjoy the holiday, simple as that. I feel somewhat sorry for those who have not had the joy of seeing their own kids on Christmas morning...it is a beautiful thing.

Foofoogal

Banned
I went thru a phase when I banned Santa from our home and put away all thinkgs Santa due to religion and a particular church I was in at the time. He is now welcome again but in a more back seat role. The Nativity and Jesus is celebrated and magnified. As a dealer I collect vintage Christmas stuff especially angel children like Lefton and such. I adore Christmas.

BTW: Anyone see Ratatouille the mouse movie with any children. It was so adorable. :eusa_clap

Novella

Practically Family
I can't even remember when I realized Santa wasn't an actual physical being. It just sort of happened at some point, but I never stopped playing along. The Santa present was always something separate from parent presents, and I was afraid if I declared Santa didn't exist, his present would also cease to exist. It was part greed, part because I have a younger sibling, and also partially because it's just fun to believe in something outside of the day to day drudgery.

I've always loved all the fun childhood folks - Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. I'm so glad my parents gave me a chance to believe in the magic. If I ever have kids I'll definitely make sure they have a chance too.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:

I disagree scotrace. One does not have to BE a parent to see and witness children who are damaged. Frankly, I'm glad I'm not a parent (and my kids would probably feel the same way!). But that does not disqualify my opinions of what is right and wrong about what children are taught. Truth is truth; lies are lies. Teaching children that a lie is truth and then adamantly resisting any questioning of that lie is disingenuous at best. Perpetuating the lies in face of the questioning and the interest in the truth is mendacity clear and simple. Who knows what the psychological impact that breach of trust has on children and their developement. As I indicated previously, child and teen depression and suicide is rampant these days - is that because Santa Claus is a fraud? Not likely. But it is the first disappointment and breach of trust that's many kids have to deal with, and for many, not the last.

I just happen to believe truth and honesty and forthrightness is the best policy. I am not a parent yet. But I always remind myself that my own father was my age now when I was born to him - there is still chance that I could produce a 'mini-me'. If I do, he/she/it will learn about Santa Claus and the myths and stories that created him, but they'll also learn that as wonderful as the thought of Santa is, he isn't real and he isn't magic, as fun as may seem. What that child would learn is the Mom & Dad are real, they are honest and truthful and that their love is real and palpable and gifts and presents are just part of that love.

What possibly could be the fault with that philosophy?

To give just an example of some of the damage that some kids feel; I once met a young guy who was absolutely livid and frustrated over the fact that his parents had made the decision to circumcise him as a baby. He went so far as to have the 'damage' repaired through surgery rather endure a life without that piece of equipment. Crazy!... but he was sincere! I didn't get to ask him how he felt about the Santa myth. I can only imagine his take on that!

-dixon cannon

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
To give just an example of some of the damage that some kids feel; I once met a young guy who was absolutely livid and frustrated over the fact that his parents had made the decision to circumcise him as a baby. He went so far as to have the 'damage' repaired through surgery rather endure a life without that piece of equipment. Crazy!... but he was sincere! I didn't get to ask him how he felt about the Santa myth. I can only imagine his take on that!

-dixon cannon

A discussion of Santa has lead to talk of lamenting a circumcision.The FL is a curious place indeed!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dixon Cannon said:

I can only imagine this is the exception rather than the rule. Kids messed up by 'no Santa Clause' may just have been messed up prior to finding out.

Sounds like the above example is one of those people that may have had other issues had it not been his "Unit". Maybe he would have been mad his parents insisted on removing infected wisdom teeth, or tonsils, etc.

I'm not trying to argue, I just enjoyed the anecdote, as strange as it is.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I certainly don't feel "screwed up" because I did not believe it Santa Claus. I did feel a bit persecuted at one point, when adults tried to force me to believe and I didn't.

Maybe I grew up a little smug, come to think of it. I thought of my playmates as lost and delusional.

karol

carter

I'll Lock Up
I knew it. I just KNEW IT! :)

THe Fedora Lounge IS a magical place, complete with beauty and innonence and caring and charm and wit and it's very own Grinch! :eek: :D :D :D lol lol lol

HOORAY! :D

Now...if I can just locate that sanity clause. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart