Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sara Jessica Parker's Hat

texasgirl

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
But back to her hat....was it a custom job just for her at this event?

I believe it was. There was a really interesting article on People this morning and now it's different?!?!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I have no regard for SJPs (or Carries) style whatsoever, and really don't understand what all the fuss is about. And she really doesn't have the features to compete with a hat like that. Now Charlotte on the other hand... There's a wardrobe I love to raid!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:
So what did ya'll think of SJP's London Premiere hat? I thought it was really interesting and pretty. I thought her hair looked awful. If she'd worn an updo, I think it would have looked better. Thoughts???

Love her hair! Nice waves! Nice volume! Nice color!

The monstrosity on her head ... :eek: .... i do not like... *yucky*

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LolitaHaze said:
I agree... it is one thing to say that you think someone is ugly to your girlfriends or something, but for a NATIONAL MEN'S MAGAZINE to outright proclaim that is more ugly in my opinion...

Of course, but she's a celebrity. When you become a celebrity, you are putting yourself in the spotlight and you should not have any expectation that people are going to be nice to you - after all, while it's the decent thing to do, people/magazines/journalists have no responsibility to do so. Everyone knows what a dog town Hollywood is - it's par for the course.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
As always I'll probably be chatised for actually giving my opinion but since you asked that's what I'm giving.
Someone needs to shoot the hat to put it out of it's misery and buy poor Jessica a hair brush.

And yes I actually like Jessica and yes I would tell her that to her face.
"Dearest, surely you can afford a hairbrush."

16_sparrows

Vendor
Lady Day said:
If she took off the bush on the top, the mermaid tale topper of the hat would be fine :)

LD

I agree. I'm more of a beret girl so I like the little feathered acorn top, but would never be able to wear such a tree like that on my head. Hmmm, I think replicated the acorn bit would be quite easy.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
16_sparrows said:
I agree. I'm more of a beret girl so I like the little feathered acorn top, but would never be able to wear such a tree like that on my head. Hmmm, I think replicated the acorn bit would be quite easy.
Third for this. The "acorn" is lovely.

OT - how do you wear a beret? Is there a guide? I love them and want to wear 'em but not sure exactly how.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hate it!

It's an abomination of a hat. The hat is wearing her, not vice versa. And yes, please, somebody call the hair police...
And I think that most of her appeal is that she is not really very pretty at all, so she is approachable. Men don't like her as much as women it seems.
And pardon me Loilta, have you looked in a mirror lately? You are TWENTY TIMES prettier than SJP! Admire her acting, her business acumen, her personality - whatever, but puh-leese! She can't hold a candle to you!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
And pardon me Loilta, have you looked in a mirror lately? You are TWENTY TIMES prettier than SJP! Admire her acting, her business acumen, her personality - whatever, but puh-leese! She can't hold a candle to you!

I second that!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Kitty T... While I agree with you that Hollywood is Dog Eat Dog... I still think that is is an ugly thing to do. Especially since the magazine tries to establish itself as a credible men's magazine. I would think this statement to come from the National Enquirer!

Miss 1929 and JazzBaby... Thank you, you guys are sweet, but as I said earlier, I base it on more than just the physical. She has things that I would dream of having... a successful career, a loving family, a hard work ethic, the ability and permission to make out with Chris Noth! I think she has a charming personality and I wish I could do her cute little squeals. I sound more like a dying cat when I shriek with excitement. Even if I were to base it on just the physical... I think she is mad gorgeous! Beautiful for sure! I wouldn't say I was prettier or uglier than her as we have two completely different looks. But there is something about her that strikes me as physically fantastic!

Back to the hat... As much as I LOVE that hat, the one thing I would do differently is have the floofs bend in slightly so it wasn't sticking straight up.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
OT - how do you wear a beret? Is there a guide? I love them and want to wear 'em but not sure exactly how.

It depends what look you are going for - I tend to wear mine depending on the material and what mood I'm in. Typically I have it tilted to one side with it covering part of my forehead. I don't have any pictures of me wearing a beret b/c I tend to be the one behind the camera, but here are some pics of my friend Robyn wearing hers in two different manners: to the side and centered, to the back.

A quick google search came-up with this video of a French girl explaining the different ways to wear a French beret and I think she does a good job explaining the variations.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference and face shape.

16_sparrows

Vendor
To get back on topic...I found a large image of the hat's base so the detail could be seen.

2490394301_161446362d.jpg

(See it larger here)

The base is really nice on it's own without that tree growing from it. I think it would be neat to do a revamped version of this feather acorn/beret. It would be easy to do by gluing several feather pads onto a beret form, perhaps of a stiff fabric or hard mold. I found peacock pads that would match the SJP look or this partridge pad which would be a nice mellow color for it too. If I would do it, and I might when I get more time, I would nix that thick stem in the center. Maybe a cute little feather popping out to act as the stem? Hmmm...

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Oh! I love this idea of making our own!! I think I would like to include all the elements (butterflies, feathers, rose) but arrange them differently!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I do hate to say this because I do love hats, and would love to support anything that brings them back into vogue, but personally, I think that hat is awful. I think it looks like springtime threw up! :eek: :eek:

I agree that it would have looked better with a sleek up-do, or even possibly with a rather wild big hair-do, but overall, I'm not sure it's so much a piece of clothing as a worn art piece or a statement. If it had a few less elements or was a touch shorter it could work, but as is, it is just too much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy