Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sara Jessica Parker's Hat

miss_elise

Practically Family
answered my own question...

sarah-jessica-parker-sex-and-the-ci.jpg

sjp.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a shame really. She had a fantastic dress and an interesting hat. If she ditched those shoes and got a stylist on board to help with her hair and some minor accessories, she would have made the fashion pages instead of the worst dressed list.

MissS

A-List Customer
Hmm, whilst I don't abhor the hat, I can't say I'm grabbed by it either. Maybe because it detracts from the gorgeous detail and draping of the dress, which is stunning (and I hate green!).

jayem

A-List Customer
SJP's character on the show would most likely wear something like this, so I actually liked it because it is so Carrie Bradshaw.

I do agree that her hair is too... blah... for such a flamboyant hat.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I personally don't care for the hat--too gaudy with the natural flowing lines of the dress. (I'd love to have that dress--but a bit longer in length)
To each his own, I say.
But I'm curious as to how many hairpins it took to keep that thing in place.
And how did she get through doorways without knocking it off her head? Or even getting in and out of cars?
I'd also be worried that the birds might mistake the hat as something to make a nest in!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I just found this quote of SJP in response to 'that' poll:

"Do I have big fake boobs, Botox and big lips? No. Do I fit some ideals and standards of some men writing in a men's magazine? Maybe not," she said. "Am I really the unsexiest women in the world? Wow! It's kind of shocking... It's condemnation, it's insane. What can I do? I guess you can't please all people."

I think a lot of men don't like to see an unconventionally attractive woman being so successful. Most women seem to love it though. Funny that :)

16_sparrows

Vendor
Vintage Betty said:
If she ditched those shoes and got a stylist on board to help with her hair and some minor accessories, she would have made the fashion pages instead of the worst dressed list.

I'm sure that a stylist is who put this ensemble together and perhaps suggested/convinced her to go with her hair down rather than up. For something as big as the Sex/City opening, she would have to use a stylist.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the designer confirmation and, yes, acorn! That's what I was scrambling for in my mind.

I feel like the two elements of the hat are too separate--I'd have liked to have seen something a little more integrated. I've never watched SATC and the few photos of SJP's outfits from that show that I've seen were popular for their hideousness. Doubt I'll see the movie either.

Midgetqueen

New in Town
That hat reminds me of the old Dr. Seuss book, 'Gertrude McFuzz!'

Love the book, but the hat is a tad much. Tone down some of the extraneous plumage and wear with an updo, though, and it'd have been fabulous. I just think that, generally but not always, hats look better with updos.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
To Quote: I'm not sure it's so much a piece of clothing as a worn art piece or a statement. If it had a few less elements or was a touch shorter it could work, but as is, it is just too much...[/QUOTE]

I would have to say that both the history of hats and haute couture would indicate that often they are both overly flamboyant and resemble art more than functional pieces of clothing. Something to keep in mind is that this was a movie premier, not just a Saturday jaunt to the picture show. If you bring to mind the "hair" works (wigs) and hats of times prior to the 20th century hats and "hair" often were outrageous. Think the late 1600's and 1700's then flash forward to the late 1800's. Often hats and hair are larger than life. Even in the 1900's hat's were highly non-functional and extrememly decorative. Especially when you consider some of the designers such a Schiapirelly (sp? it's morning sorry) So I think that this hat is in keeping with this tradition. Sorry to go on so long, but I just thought it wasn't really outrageous when taken in the context of hat history.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
REALLY? She has the face of a horse.

I never understood why anyone thought her looks were all that, either.

As for the hat...:icon_smil

And the dress, pretty as it is, doesn't suit her coloring.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs. Merl said:
LOL - I've got to agree with that!! I wonder how that worked at the opera in the 1700's? Couldn't remove your wig - could you...
Private boxes. No one was sitting behind them. Only the riff raff sat in the orchestra section.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
Sorry to go on so long, but I just thought it wasn't really outrageous when taken in the context of hat history.

Hat history has had some far more outrageous confections. From wigs in the shape of naval battles or with live birds in them, to as recently as the span from 1900-1910 when the wide brimmed, beribboned and bird covered toppers held in place by long and terribly sharp hat pins had ministers in American churches decrying them as vanities in church (and dangerously pokey space hogs to boot). On that scale this is not much, but hats are rather a rarity these days. I think this is somewhat of a zero to 60 sort of jump. People would have been a bit agog if she'd have traipsed in wearing modest hoops too, despite the fact that compared to the six foot pannier of the 18th century, that wouldn't be much either.[huh]

Personally, I'm a bit of a minimalist, so that's why this isn't my cup of tea. SJP's hat actually reminds me a bit of those early 20th century hats I was commenting on that were overstuffed with ornate ornamentation and everything but the kitchen sink. The opinions on this are clearly divided, and I happen to come, in with a number of others, on the side of disliking that hat. I happen find it over the top overall, and especially for when and where it was used. But, to each their own. :)

crwritt

One Too Many
The hat is a fabulous confection, and maybe it would have worked better with her hair up, but have you seen her with her hair up? It is not a flattering look on her.

Foofoogal

Banned
I adore the green dress and that is my second fav color after bluegreen. Third is lavender.

I think she is pretty like Lolita. A long time ago she was in a movie as the girlfriend of either Chevy Chase or Steve Martin. She was built like the bomb.

As far as the hat I hope they come up with more wild and crazy hats. maybe the tamer hat will get big again. I love hats and have always felt cheated hats as well as gloves are not mainstream. Bring them back everyone.
I need bling as much as possible to enhance my gray hair I think I will be going for soon.

I do think Springtime threw up but have seen many more totally outrageous ones in old movies.

Carrie is the only one that could of carried this off and besides I think her husband looks like one solid catch besides so the lady is smartttt.....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000572/
Hey, she dated John Kennedy Jr. She must not be too ugly.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
I never understood why anyone thought her looks were all that, either.

As for the hat...:icon_smil

And the dress, pretty as it is, doesn't suit her coloring.
Really, she was much cuter when she was younger.
I don't think she's ever been "pretty" but cute yes.
And I'm not sure if she's had any plastic surgery but she seems very natural and that is what I like about her. Plus in interviews she seems like she'd be areally nice person.
I don't mind the dress so much as that aweful hat.
I also don't mind so much the down hairstyle but it looks like it needs brushed as I said beforem or maybe the curls need defined.
The hair alone makes the whole thing look frumpy and unkempt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran