Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row Protest by Chaps with pics

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I didn't think A&F clothes were American as the article states, or do they actually make them in the US?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Interesting observation. Pretty much the case around here too, I imagine.

However, the constitution of the crowd was telling. Despite their love of Savile Row as a concept, few if any were wearing Savile Row tailoring, and few of the immaculate outfits were first-hand. The Chap is playfully nostalgic, harking satirically after better days, but the preponderance of tweed in town might have made the very tailors they sought to protect shudder politely.

How many of us do or would care to move in the circles that frequent savile row?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Truth be told, for me, $3000 would buy 10 great vintage suits off ebay plus tailoring. Of course, I am a size 38.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I am a vintage clothes fan. No suit, no matter how well made or even with vintage fabrics would be the same to me as a vintage suit. But that is just me. In the absense of a vintage suit, I would take a bespoke made as an exact copy of a vintage including heavy weight fabric.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
I agree with (what seems to be) reetpleat's sentiment, actually. I imagine Saville Row's current clientelle are not of a like mind to us at the FL, nor certainly of The Chap.

Edward

Bartender
How many of us do or would care to move in the circles that frequent savile row?

Quite a lot of us, probably, would like to (albeit not exclusively). I certainly would like to have enough money that I could shop in the Row. If I could, I'd buy all my suits there. I adore the cuts of clothes from 1930 through (roughly) 1956 (with early thirties and late forties being particular favourites), but it's all about the design for me. I wear a 42-44R (usually more 44 in true vintage and a 44 in better-cut modern-made stuff), and typically a 38 waist. For anything much outside evening wear, true vintage suits are rare for me. Cheaper when they do crop up, yes, than anything from the Row, but rare. It's nice to have something that is genuinely from the Thirties on occasion, but in the last instance it's about the correct cut and style for me, so if they can replicate something from back in the day to the extent where as the wearer I can't tell the difference, I'd be perfectly happy with that. I appreciate that a lot of folks do prefer real vintage over reproduction, it's just that for me I like vintage for what it is, as opposed to for the fact that it's vintage, if that makes sense.

FWIW, the gentleman in the centre of the photo below, in a chocolate brown pinstriped db suit, is Gustav Temple, Editor of The Chap. The suit he is wearing is based on a genuine 40s piece, and was made by The Cad & The Dandy, who do indeed have an outlet on the Row. While there is a big crossover with vintage and the Chappist set, most wear a mix of both vintage and "vintage inspired" modern pieces. There are very few who would turn down the Row, if we could but afford it... [huh]

Edward

Bartender
Well, I am a vintage clothes fan. No suit, no matter how well made or even with vintage fabrics would be the same to me as a vintage suit. But that is just me. In the absense of a vintage suit, I would take a bespoke made as an exact copy of a vintage including heavy weight fabric.

You're lucky on the size.... It might buy me five or six, but in the past five or so years since I got into vintage, I've just not seen that many suits from my period of interest that would fit me (and I'm by no means huge). Sometimes I wish I'd been into vintage in my late teens when I could have fitted so much more, but then it would I suppose have been an awful wrench to go from so much to so little being available.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Not to mention having to get rid of suits that used to fit you. the thing to do would have been to buy suits in your teens, but stockpile bigger ones too. You could have done that cheaply 30 year ago.

Edward

Bartender
Not to mention having to get rid of suits that used to fit you. the thing to do would have been to buy suits in your teens, but stockpile bigger ones too. You could have done that cheaply 30 year ago.

If only I'd had that foresight as a seven year old! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot