Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala Fedoras - Good quality?

Griff

New in Town
I did a "buy it now" on one and got it for $39. The size tag had an X through it and the hat was too large for me. I figured it was a "2nd" or overstock kind of thing. I thought it should have been my size but I did find out from ordering another hat from a store that I wear a size smaller.
I sent the hat back and the seller told me they would take it back but I could not buy from them again. I don't really care.
The hat seemed ok for a beater hat. Since I have seen more expensive hats I can tell the difference in quality though. I don't regret sending it back and spending more money on a nicer hat.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Do you think they are worth $50.00, if purchased new?

I'd like to think it would be more than just a beater hat, but certainly it is not a top of the line dress hat. Seeking all input.

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
They are not bad hats, but they do fail to live up to the quality of some of the better names. But they are easy to find, and some of their styles and colors are great.

That said, a lot of very nice "used" hats go for in the $50 dollar range...some astonishingly so. If I only had $50 to spend, and I wanted a nice hat, I'd wait for my style/brand to go cheap on eBay.

Just my .02

As Bill said, you can get a relatively nice, vintage Resistol for around $50. I have bought 1 for my brother, 1 for my brother-in-law, 1 for myself & 1 for a riding buddy. All different sizes & all around that price including shipping & gotten way better quality lids than a Scala. Stetsons seem to bring top dollar but Resistols, which are great vintage hats, don't seem to demand it at this time. Maybe I should've not posted this... :eek:

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
As Bill said, you can get a relatively nice, vintage Resistol for around $50. I have bought 1 for my brother, 1 for my brother-in-law, 1 for myself & 1 for a riding buddy. All different sizes & all around that price including shipping & gotten way better quality lids than a Scala. Stetsons seem to bring top dollar but Resistols, which are great vintage hats, don't seem to demand it at this time. Maybe I should've not posted this... :eek:

I have been trying to win several items on eBay, but each time (it seems), another lounge member has out-bid me! I've lost out on Borsalino's, Stetsons, Cavanaugh's, and Knox's all in the past month. I noticed that nobody was bidding on the Scalas. that is what prompted me to seek input here. Thanks for the insight.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Scala/Dorfman Pacific being by far the largest supplier of hats worldwide, its presence is ubiquitous and prices tempting.

It makes both wool felt and fur felt hats. Avoid wool felt hats made by anyone. Scala's fur felts are OK, but if you get one, I guarantee you will soon regard it as your "gateway drug" hat, with your eye on a good hat and no longer liking the Scala anymore.

Accordingly, skip the Scala, save your money, and get a new Akubra for about double the price--money well spent for a hat you'll love and that will last a lifetime.

As mentioned, you can find a terrific "pre-owned" if not truly vintage hat on Ebay often for real cheap, but locating a style you like in your size in like-new condition requires patience and some knowledge of older hats.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo[/quote said:
Scala's fur felts are OK, but if you get one, I guarantee you will soon regard it as your "gateway drug" hat, with your eye on a good hat and no longer liking the Scala anymore.

lol I had to laugh at this; a hat as a "gateway drug." I totally agree that Scala's a gateway hat; however, I disagree that you shouldn't buy one. Because they are usually less expensive than others they serve two purposes. A). They get people into hats without putting too much money into one. Once a person gets used to wearing a hat, they'll buy a better one. B). They make good knock around hats; that is, you can wear it at times/places you might not want to wear a more expensive one. Just my opinion.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Griff said:
the seller told me they would take it back but I could not buy from them again. I don't really care.

Unbelievable! No hat for you!! Great business model. They probably have a long list of people they won't sell to. "Excuse me while I check to make sure you're not on our no sell to list." lol

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Scotus said:
Scala's fur felts are OK, but if you get one, I guarantee you will soon regard it as your "gateway drug" hat, with your eye on a good hat and no longer liking the Scala anymore.

Scotus said:
lol I had to laugh at this; a hat as a "gateway drug." I totally agree that Scala's a gateway hat; however, I disagree that you shouldn't buy one. Because they are usually less expensive than others they serve two purposes. A). They get people into hats without putting too much money into one. Once a person gets used to wearing a hat, they'll buy a better one. B). They make good knock around hats; that is, you can wear it at times/places you might not want to wear a more expensive one. Just my opinion.

:arated:

I did that with a Tilley Fedora. It served as my 'beginner's' hat, and got me used to wearing and styling a hat. From there I recognized what I liked and disliked in hats, and used it to buy the best one for me the next time around. So a Scala will be by no means a long term hat, but for that price, you can have something to work with, and not worry if it gets damaged; until you really learn the ropes of the vintage hat world. And that's my $0.02 for today. I'll probably be murdered for supporting such heresy! :eek:

flute

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I bought a Scala fur felt a few years ago. It's made in eastern Europe and is of surprisingly sound construction for the price. It lives on the coat rake next to the front door and is the beater I will go to as an above my really beat beater when only a beater will do. It has stood up to a light rain. It's beats all the Dorfmans I've seen. The price for a new fur felt is hard to beat.
Tom D.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
St.Ignatz said:
I bought a Scala fur felt a few years ago. It's made in eastern Europe and is of surprisingly sound construction for the price. It lives on the coat rake next to the front door and is the beater I will go to as an above my really beat beater when only a beater will do. It has stood up to a light rain. It's beats all the Dorfmans I've seen. The price for a new fur felt is hard to beat.
Tom D.

Scala is but one of many brand names sold by giant parent company Dorfman Pacific. So many lower-echelon wool felt hats were sold under the DP name that it became associated only with the bush league. For this reason, the company realized it needed to do something to be perceived as a more upmarket organization.

Consequently, as the company grew it added snappy new brand names when expanding internally and retained exisiting brand names with acquisitions, in order to "fool" the buying public. Such is the case with Scala. Now you know; you are fooled no more.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
AlterEgo said:
Scala is but one of many brand names sold by giant parent company Dorfman Pacific.
Consequently, as the company grew it added snappy new brand names when expanding internally and retained exisiting brand names with acquisitions, in order to "fool" the buying public. Such is the case with Scala. Now you know; you are fooled no more.

i Never was AlterE. It's not in a league with the vast majority of my other hats but from my experience with THIS Scala in rain and shine I was pleasantly surprised with it's durability and construction. My 4x modern OR is not the hat my Royal Deluxe is but it's turning out to be a very comfortable and good looking bubble cover. Taken for what it is I really don't have any complaints with the SCALA.
Tom D.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Scala Fedora Quality

1. Place two holes on top of crown.

2. Fit it on your mules head.

3. After a few days, he will bray for a better one.

analogist

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
Unbelievable! No hat for you!! Great business model. They probably have a long list of people they won't sell to. "Excuse me while I check to make sure you're not on our no sell to list." lol

I'm sorry, but it's midnight, and I laughed out loud at this! Hat Nazis! lol

(loved that Seinfeld reference to "Soup Nazi")

Anyway, I've seen a few Scala hats on online stores, but I wasn't particularly impressed by them. Their nicer ones are OK, but not sure about durability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner