Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala hats?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I did a search and found two old threads on this brand, but no pictures. I see a nice sale on them on the Net, but they only show the hat from top left. I'm interested in knowing how high the crown is, and how tapered it is. Does anyone have any knowledge on these fedoras?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
The only Scalas I've seen for sale here are made in China

And that was my next question, are they made in China? If so, I'm no longer interested. I know Jaxon hats are made in China. I did see that it says "imported" but I was hoping it was imported from Italy and just wasn't selling well, so they discounted it for this sale.

I'm mainly looking for a hat somewhat on the line of a Stetson Temple to use for a travel fedora, one that won't break my heart if airport goons destroy it at the security check, or if it blows off my head into a river, etc.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
At my local hattery the Scalas sit alongside the Akubras and cost much the same. Seeing as the Akubras are made here in Australia and are excellent quality, I'm surprised they sell any Scalas.
But apparently they do.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I almost never knock a hat brand but stay away from the Scala felt hats . They are made in China. All junk. The straws are a different story. Those are American made and are great hats.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I like the fact that they are providing an inexpensive alternative to classic hat designs, but you are getting what you pay for - they are very cheaply constructed. I would much rather see people in the $30 hat market go for a good vintage for a similar price.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScottF said:
I like the fact that they are providing an inexpensive alternative to classic hat designs, but you are getting what you pay for - they are very cheaply constructed. I would much rather see people in the $30 hat market go for a good vintage for a similar price.

Scala felts are up in the $120 range here - as are the Akubras. Nothing cheap about them, except the quality.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
I almost never knock a hat brand but stay away from the Scala felt hats . They are made in China. All junk. The straws are a different story. Those are American made and are great hats.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Thank you, Steven. I'm trying to find some beater hat in light brown or tan for less than $100.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
With the quality of Stetson these days, they might as well make them in China.
Get an Akubra! :)

I already have two Akubras, Ephraim, and I love them, so I won't travel to parts unknown with them. The price is right, but...maybe I'd get an extra and just keep it for travel, if they made all their models in all the colors, but they limit the best colors to only certain models, forcing us to shop elsewhere to get what we want.

If they made the Casual or Sydney in tawny fawn, they'd make a sale right now. Since they don't (or won't) I'll buy another brand.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
With the quality of Stetson these days, they might as well make them in China.

Stetson hats are designed and manufactured better today than they have been in years!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Dewhurst said:
Stetson hats are designed and manufactured better today than they have been in years!
Yeah, that was my take on it, too. In fact, I think they are too good to be my knock around travel hat. I would care too much about them getting messed up.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
That's the spirit lads. Stick up for your iconic brand!

I love the stetsons I have (in fact, I own more Stetsons than Akubras, but don't tell anyone!) but I noticed their quality fell away markedly when the brand was sold and the factory closed.

I'm glad to hear they're getting their act together again.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Heh, we are obligated to stick up for Stetson!

I've only had one Akubra but it was made wrong and I had to send it back for a full refund. :D But I don't let that affect my opinion of them. ;D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
That's the spirit lads. Stick up for your iconic brand!

I love the stetsons I have (in fact, I own more Stetsons than Akubras, but don't tell anyone!) but I noticed their quality fell away markedly when the brand was sold and the factory closed.

I'm glad to hear they're getting their act together again.

Thanks, ET. Someone's gotta keep my pants pulled up. :whistling

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
besdor said:

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
I agree--the Scala straws are great but that is where it begins and ends. Interestingly, I just bought a Scala beach style straw hat to replace the one that my dog ate. Swallowed it whole.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
ScottF said:
I would much rather see people in the $30 hat market go for a good vintage for a similar price.

A noble thought, but not always practical. People, on average, are somewhat larger than they were 70-80 years ago. This isn't a problem for most, as yesterday's small and medium have simply become today's medium and large, or large and extra large. But yesterday's large and extra large have become today's extra-large and XXL, and, well, there aren't too many golden era hats floating around for us. (In my case, it's a 7 5/8 noggin, and that's with my hair shaved down to the scalp).

I'm currently looking at a Jaxon, nominally because of price, but am holding off until cold weather actually hits here in the hope that I'll be able to snag something higher quality on sale or there will be a fluctuation in the dollar/pound/Aussie dollar that will permit me to either snag a Christy's or Akubra. The prices now aren't bad--I can find either brand under $100--, but the shipping costs are half the price of the hat, and that's the real killer.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
A noble thought, but not always practical. People, on average, are somewhat larger than they were 70-80 years ago.

So very true, and one of the main reasons that purchasing old "Vintage" will and probably should remain an acquired taste. Not to mention new hats often come with warranties or guarantees, and return policies. And old components (sweatbands, etc.) often need replacing and renovating. Can't really expect casual hat wearers to go through all of that.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I have just purchased a Scala felt hat in Chocolate Brown I have a couple of Stylmasters, but could not really justify spending another $130.00, and at $34.95, I thought the Scala quite a bargain, its smaller than the stylemaster, and as such, does not give you as much "Hat", but it does give you another choice of something to wear!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy