Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala hats?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Would anyone care to elaborate on what makes Scala hats so bad? Other than a vague construction reference in this thread, I'm hearing a whole lot of complaint without much reason. Not to label anyone in this thread in particular, but there is an attitude that occasionally pops up in the Lounge that unless something is either vintage or high-dollar, it's inherently worthless. When threads like this crop up in which much hate is directed at a low-dollar item without much reason being given, I'm inclined to believe that some of that hate is the result of a low price tag.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
When threads like this crop up in which much hate is directed at a low-dollar item without much reason being given, I'm inclined to believe that some of that hate is the result of a low price tag.

I think this is an honest assessment and should be appreciated as such.

I did not criticize Scala personally because I have never owned one. However, I knew a bloke who owned a Scala Venice and he liked it very much. 100% fur, lambskin sweatband, and good looks.

I say it with mundane regularity but I will continue to say it, "good" hats are being made today. And, you don't have to pay 200+ dollars to get a "good" hat. "Good" is entirely subjective, of course, but good in my book. Sure, my favorite hat that I personally own cost over 200 dollars, but only pure lunacy would prompt me to opine that no good hats can be purchased under that price. Owning hats from all over the price and quality spectrum simply does not allow me to pretend.

Heck, I have had TWO Stefano fur felt hats, and the Scala fur felt hats are definitely nicer than EITHER of those, but I still liked them and wore them all the time. They didn't taper from being in occasional rain, they maintained their sizes well, they were comfortable and the felt was surprisingly nice.

I am still of the opinion that "vintage" should remain an acquired taste and that good hats that will be comfortable and provide years of wearing pleasure are being made today.

Bottom line, if it is comfortable, looks good, and lasts as long as you want it to than it is a good hat. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

DC3

New in Town
I picked up a new dark grey Scala New Yorker the other day for under $60.
No, it wasn't as nice as the Stetson Temple I was shown, but it was 100% wool felt, more than half the price, and I could find no construction problems. It also fits very well, and looks great. As a matter of fact I wore it out of the shop and before I got thirty feet from the stores door, a tall man in full African robes said "nice hat". I touch the brim and said "Thank you, nice robes."
I'll keep looking and adding to my modest collection, which now stands at 8, and if another Scala comes along that I like, I'll buy it.
After I find a publisher for my books, and sell a few copies, I may look at something better. Right now though, I'll take a few "Nice hat" remarks aimed at the New Yorker, and smile.
My advice? Buy the hat that looks good on you and that you can afford.

Here's a yogi-ism:
Remember that the more people who are wearing hats, the more likely there are to be more hats for people to wear.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
DC3 said:
I picked up a new dark grey Scala New Yorker the other day for under $60.
No, it wasn't as nice as the Stetson Temple I was shown, but it was 100% wool felt, more than half the price, and I could find no construction problems. It also fits very well, and looks great. As a matter of fact I wore it out of the shop and before I got thirty feet from the stores door, a tall man in full African robes said "nice hat". I touch the brim and said "Thank you, nice robes."
I'll keep looking and adding to my modest collection, which now stands at 8, and if another Scala comes along that I like, I'll buy it.
After I find a publisher for my books, and sell a few copies, I may look at something better. Right now though, I'll take a few "Nice hat" remarks aimed at the New Yorker, and smile.
My advice? Buy the hat that looks good on you and that you can afford.

Here's a yogi-ism:
Remember that the more people who are wearing hats, the more likely there are to be more hats for people to wear.

Well said DC3.
We can sometimes be a bit precious about our vintage lids - I'm guilty of it myself - but you've reminded us that what's important is whether we like the hat we're wearing. And if it's affordable and gets you compliments too - bonus! Good onya Mate!

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Nothing wrong with cheap hats.

I was at Belk the other day with a gift card from my grandmother. I went to buy shoes but I saw a Scala panama hat on sale for $4.98! (marked down from $40.00) It was made in China and is made of paper. The hat fits and looks pretty good. Could use a different ribbon but it is good for lawn mowing and such.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I just bought my first scala New Yorker online for 29 bucks. If it is even a half way decent hat I think that is a steal! I feel that these hats are perfect for us noobs who are learning what we like in a hat.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
A couple of months ago, I picked up a Scala fur felt hat on eBay. I bought it spur-of-the-moment because of the low price. It turned out that hat was a 7 1/8 instead of the 7 3/8 it was advertised as. However, I had been planning to buy my dad a hat for Christmas, and he happens to wear a 7 1/8. I have to say, I was quite impressed. I own a couple of inexpensive wool outback-style Scala hats, and while I have since upgraded to nicer hats for myself, I was nonetheless impressed by the fur felt...it was in a different league from the other Scala hats I'd handled. My dad loved it. Bottom line, at least in my opinion: I prefer Art Fawcett's hats, and that's what I wear every day. Before I discovered Art, I was in love with Stetsons. Before that, my very first fedora was a Scala. Scala, in my opinion, makes a great hat for the money. Not everybody wants to have custom hats made, and not everybody wants to pay for a Stetson, so I think Scala is a great inexpensive hat that could well last somebody a lifetime.

Oh, and DC3, I love the Yogi-ism! :)

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I just picked up a Scala Milan in fur felt with a suede finish, snap brim with underwelt. Other than the fact that the liner is glued in instead of sewn in I can't find many faults with it. It fits nice and looks good. The felt is a bit softer than I expected (ebay purchase-for very cheap).

I personally would love a vintage fedora but I refuse to buy one unless I can inspect it first and I have only found very small ones up here.

All in all I expect I will purchase more Scala hats. The price is right and they do the job.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would anyone care to elaborate on what makes Scala hats so bad? Other than a vague construction reference in this thread, I'm hearing a whole lot of complaint without much reason. Not to label anyone in this thread in particular, but there is an attitude that occasionally pops up in the Lounge that unless something is either vintage or high-dollar, it's inherently worthless. When threads like this crop up in which much hate is directed at a low-dollar item without much reason being given, I'm inclined to believe that some of that hate is the result of a low price tag.

I am the first to admit to hat snobbery. I am among the first offenders! What you say is true. But to a large degree, I think a site such as this cultivates hat snobbery through the revelation of ever more and better hats out there, from vintage to new custom. I'd expect the same out a wine website, let's say. However, hat snobbery (or hat appreciation, as others might put it) is no doubt off-putting to some, so to those I apologize. At the same time as I cultivate ever-greater snobbery, of course. But as others say on this thread, everyone should buy what they're comfortable with, stylewise and pricewise.

fmw

One Too Many
Well said, Dan. Forums like this do indeed foster snobbery. I have a forum that has attracted a bevy of "experts" that are mostly hot air. I marvel at how those with the most aggressive posts gain the most credibility rather than those with the most accurate information.

To be fair, I think this group is quite gentlemanly and pleasant. While there may be some snobbery, it certainly isn't aggressive snobbery. People just state their preference and recommend it to others and there is nothing wrong with that.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Everybody has their own comfort level with most stuff. There are guys here who pay way more than I would for a hat, and there are those who pay way less. Everyone is entitled to purchase and enjoy what they want.

Ive seen Scala hats in places. They mustve been the cheaper ones because the ones I picked up were very stiff and very tapered (less material). Years ago, I mightve considered them, but where I am right now, I would not consider them. Otoh, I also dont consider very expensive hats for two reasons: 1) I cannot justify the price, and 2) I am very comfortable with the mid-priced hats I currently own.

So who am I (or who is anyone, for that matter) to criticize a person who wears less expensive hats than I do, when I wear less expensive hats than other others?

So while I will say that I would no longer purchase a wool hat, or a brand in particular (not necessarily the brand in question here), in no way is it wrong for others to do so. Everyone enjoy your stuff!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
So who am I (or who is anyone, for that matter) to criticize a person who wears less expensive hats than I do, when I wear less expensive hats than other others?

I think there is a big difference between criticizing the hat and the hat wearer.

One can certainly say that Scala hats are junk without saying that someone who buys a Scala hat is a fool.

Just for me, I'd never buy a new fedora at all. I don't care who makes it. I only like vintage fedoras. I even shy from buying hats made after the 1960s unless I intend to experiment with it or alter it somehow. Couple that with the fact that the really good custom makers (Optiomo, Adventurebuilt etc.) are way, way out of my price range.

Why do I eschew new fedoras? Lots of reasons quality being only one. I mean, to me a "real" fedora is a vintage fedora.

But, this does not mean I think anyone that buys a new fedora is an idiot or is not buying a real fedora. Not at all. Just as I don't think that someone that buys a stingy, a trilby, a homburg, or an extra tall crowned fedora is an idiot just because I don't like any of those styles. I just wouldn't buy such a hat is all.

So, I think it is possible to say that Scala makes junk and that you'd recommend against their product without saying a person that buys one anyway is somehow an idiot or something.

(And to be clear, I am not saying Scala makes junk. I've neither bought nor handled a Scala hat so I haven't a clue if they are any good or not. I am just using Scala as an example)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
MV:

The term 'snobbery' had come up. Snobbery can be applied to objects or people. Both can be judged. I do not judge people by what they own. But thats not even an issue.

The issue here, again, is that if one calls something 'junk,' and not criticize a person directly, you still run the risk of unnecessarily offending people who own and like what you have called 'junk.'

What is the value in that? Criticism can be leveled as an opinion without passing judgment like it comes from up above as fact. Why should all the Scala owners, or whomever your offendee-du-jour is, have to put up with that? Whats wrong with something like, 'Theyre not the quality I would invest in,' instead of, 'They are junk?' The former is an opinion. The latter is a pretension of fact, and is unnecessarily offensive.

I still believe in offering criticism, when appropriate, in the least offensive way possible, with the idea of helping, and not tearing down. I dont mistake my opinion for fact, and make sure that is obvious when I post.

Thats my opinion. YMMV.

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
What it boils down to for me is cost.

I sometimes feel that hats owners tend to be like the high end A-2 faction that feels that unless it cost $1500.00 it isn't a real A-2. Not that I am saying that is bad - much like hats, I prefer the lower cost, no name A-2s so I can beat the hell outta them with out feeling bad.

I know that my daily wear hats are going to end up getting trashed -wether by my own doing or not. I work in mental health and just walking into the building could result in having a hat end up in a snowbank or worse the mud. I personally would rather it be a $120.00 Scala Fur Felt that I spent $30.00 on than a very expensive custom peice or a vintage lid. I will buy more Scalas or other lower end lids for this reason. I like how they are made and the price is right and it is a "proper hat" at least vs a ball cap. I will also continue looking for nice vintage lids to wear on special occasions and some day I hope to talk the wife into letting me get a custom lid made.

Also, back in the good old days where there varying qualities of hats or were all of them 100% top of the line? Some of the vintage lids I have seen have been of varying quality (all of them much to small for me) and I was wondering if the folks here would have an answer to this mystery for me.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
HeyMoe I feel you hit the nail on the head. I just bought my first scala because quite honestly it seemed like the most hat for my money. I did get a wool felt but it was a 60 dollar retail on thefedorastore.com that I purchased on sale from another online vendor after all the discounts for 29 bucks. Yes I would like to own a fur felt hat one day but I can tell you right now it will still be below 100 dollars it will either be a Jaxon or Scala because that is all I can afford and I don't feel sorry for that. With all that being said, yes I do get a certain amount of hat envy looking at all the Art Fawcett customs :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think there is a big difference between criticizing the hat and the hat wearer.

One can certainly say that Scala hats are junk without saying that someone who buys a Scala hat is a fool.

Just for me, I'd never buy a new fedora at all. I don't care who makes it. I only like vintage fedoras. I even shy from buying hats made after the 1960s unless I intend to experiment with it or alter it somehow. Couple that with the fact that the really good custom makers (Optiomo, Adventurebuilt etc.) are way, way out of my price range.

Why do I eschew new fedoras? Lots of reasons quality being only one. I mean, to me a "real" fedora is a vintage fedora.

But, this does not mean I think anyone that buys a new fedora is an idiot or is not buying a real fedora. Not at all. Just as I don't think that someone that buys a stingy, a trilby, a homburg, or an extra tall crowned fedora is an idiot just because I don't like any of those styles. I just wouldn't buy such a hat is all.

So, I think it is possible to say that Scala makes junk and that you'd recommend against their product without saying a person that buys one anyway is somehow an idiot or something.

(And to be clear, I am not saying Scala makes junk. I've neither bought nor handled a Scala hat so I haven't a clue if they are any good or not. I am just using Scala as an example)

Your reasons given for your hat collecting choises was well stated. I just feel that you are in a way, short changing your hat experience in haveing such a narrow area of interest. You recently aquired a newer Akubra and hopefully you will realize that there are manufacturers of modern hats that DO make quality hats equal to some of the older hats. It is true that to get a new hat such as a Shady Oaks model from Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth, which is equal to just about ANY Stetson 100 or 150 level of hat would cost you OVER $700.00 dollars, it proves that THIS quality of hat is STILL being made today. But to each his own reasons :)
Onward thru the Fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner