Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala "straw" paper hats....

Randal

Familiar Face
My wife was shopping at a local department store today and she found some Scala "straw" paper hats. She bought a large and a medium. The price tag says $40 but she only paid $5 each. Anyways, my question is is there anyway to shrink the large or to stretch the medium as neither one fits as I'd like. Thanks...

Randal

Familiar Face
Phineas Lamour said:
I just bought one too. was marked down from $40 to $9.98
But it rang up $4.98. Pretty nice for 5 bucks. You got a pic?
No pics yet. I just got em a few hours ago. I'll try to post some soon. I hope I can get them to work for me...

To shrink the Large, I'd try soaking the sweatband & letting the leather dry & draw the hat body with it as it dries. Flip the sweatband out & soak the back side, then let it dry in a parked car but not in direct sunlight. Some use a blow dryer.

I've had some Bangora straw westerns that I've had to stretch a touch due to my LO head shape. Bangora is paper straw so steam will soften it up for a hat stretcher. The leather sweatband will slowly return to about original size over time but a hat jack now & then keeps mine wearable, especially after I have worn them & sweated in them. Common for straws since they get hot weather wear... HTH.

Randal

Familiar Face
It these hats had leather sweatbands I'd try that. But these are "cheap" and only have a ribbon sweatband. I'll post pics tonight (or at least try to post pics tonight) ;)

Thanks

Well dang it. Then I would try HOT water since that may cause the ribbon band to shrink some, then dry with a blow dryer on HIGH for the large. I'd still try steaming the straw & a stretcher for the medium, letting it cool & dry slowly. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo