Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scared to try new eyeshadows...

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
It's me. :) So, I've used the same golds and peaches and browns on my eyes for years now with brown eyeliner--discovered them at the end of high school and that's just about all I used in college. I have red hair, really pale skin, and grey/blue/green (really light) eyes...I just want to experiment but...with what? Anyone else have eyeshadow woes? Or eyeshadwoes? :p

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have the same kind of eyes, kinda blue with green/grey thrown in, and pretty fair complexion, but more blonde hair. I've always been partial to more of the wine family. I kinda change from true wine shades, to brownish/wines, to pink shades. For evening, I sometimes do more purple/violet. I think these bring out a little more of the green on me- make my eyes look a little more teal in color.

I love the Revlon Colorstay eyeshadows. I can wear it all day and not get that crease. The Blushed Wines are nice

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...=138228&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-CAT-0-PCOLOR

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
You can never fail with lavender it seems with lighter eyes along with most pale shades like pink. I have very pale skin, red hair and brown eyes and I find that if you apply your eyeshadow correctly and make sure you don't use to much or to little any eyeshadow will look good on a person. I always try and match my eyeshadown to what I am wearing if I can it will make your eyes pop a little more. Hopefully that will help you little bit and when all else fails use brown.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Why not go to a makeup counter and let them have a go. If you go on an off day or at a generally slow time I find makeup artists generally pretty willing to do you up or at least let you play with the samples. Good way to get a feel for what looks good on you.

Honey Doll

Hepcatkitten

New in Town
texasgirl said:
I have the same kind of eyes, kinda blue with green/grey thrown in, and pretty fair complexion, but more blonde hair. I've always been partial to more of the wine family. I kinda change from true wine shades, to brownish/wines, to pink shades. For evening, I sometimes do more purple/violet. I think these bring out a little more of the green on me- make my eyes look a little more teal in color.

I love the Revlon Colorstay eyeshadows. I can wear it all day and not get that crease. The Blushed Wines are nice

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...=138228&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-CAT-0-PCOLOR

We have the same type of color. I definitely need to try more of the wine colors. :)

Ya'll are so helpful. :)
Lacy

ShortClara

One Too Many
I like lavender - a deep lavender - on my pale, blue-eyed, red-headed self. I also wear a lot of pinks. Lighter pink for a fresh look, a deep crazy pink if you're feeling frisky. Peach can be very nice, too - as well as gold. I did a Kevyn Aucoin look for my wedding - black mascara, black liner and gold shadow on the lids, and red lipstick. It was a great look for our coloring. I second the notion of going to a make-up counter. Go crazy and then just buy your favorites :)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family

THAT'S exactly what I got hooked on back in high school!!!!

And I will definitely try the wines and purples. Here goes!!!!

And what's more, I work in a department store and have befriended the makeup people (of course). I will definitely go ask them about it!!!! Ladies, you're simply wonderful. :eusa_clap

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have the same coloring as you, although I like to experiment with different colors...not always successfully. I gave a bunch of stuff away a little while ago that wasn't quite right. I have some wine/burgundy colors, but I usually don't wear them except at night or if I am wearing burgundy.

One good one for me is a Chanel quad called Influences, it is a dove grey, a beige, a light pink and a pearl shadow. It is pretty for day with a little grey eyeliner, and not scary at all. It was expensive, but worth it, since it has 4 perfect for me colors, and so is a better value for me than the cheapie ones that didn't work out.

Also, since the browns obviously suit you, keep wearing them but maybe add different accent colors, pink instead of peach, or maybe mint green--a new favorite of mine(or maybe even Besame pistachio?).

A subtle change is not so shocking.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sounds like shades of green would be nice on you too.

I must be more adventerous myself. I have dark brown eyes, pale skin and dark blonde hair. I've used dark wine colours and lavender many years ago, but I must try greens as well.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
And remember if you hate it it comes right off. So experiment away. I use a lot of greys and black. Eventhough I am very pale with platimun hair I like lots of black. And inexpensive shadows like Revlon give you an opportunity to play with colour.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Yeah, I'm another one with eyes almost that color, I've got some flecks of brown too so just about every color 's in my eyes, lol. Anyway, I just discovered Everyday Mineral's Morocco and its great. It really shows off my eyes. It's a dark almost maroon color and highly pigmented, so a little goes a long way.

Other then that I agree that you should go with pinks and purples, and tans, and oranges and browns... Just try out colors and see what you like. Have you tried getting one of those dollar store eyeshadow/makeup sets that has lots of colors? You could use that to really see what other sorts of colors look like.

BTW, I love the pale pink eyeshadow from Rimmel, I use it mare as a highlighter aronud the eyes and it looks great and really shows the blue and green in my eyes.

PincurlsNPearls

New in Town
I recently tried to re-do all my makeup and my eyes were my main focus. I have very similar coloring as you, and in my research I was told pinks and purples would look the best on me. I stayed away from pinks so far because I have heard it can be tricky. Pink can tend to make the whites of your eyes appear pinkish which makes you look tired. (I saw this come to life in a movie called "Mistess of Spices" recently. The main character had light green eyes and wore pink eyeshadow through the whole thing, and the whites of her eyes had this pink tinge.) I put my efforts into finding a great purple that would make my eyes pop. After several failed attempts (some of which made me look like I had been punched in the eye) I found Isadora Gleaming eyeshadow in Aubergine. (This shade is not on their website but I have found it in all the local Walgreens around here.) You can use this dry or wet for a more intense look, and it really works. All the pictures I have taken of myself when wearing this shade, my eyes almost look photoshopped they are so intense. Isadora is a Swedish brand that can be found at Walgreens.
Chandra

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick