Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School and college sports

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's a windy and rainy afternoon here and I associate these conditions with school sports as throughout my teenaged years I had to turn out onto the Rugby field come rain or shine - and I even did it when it was no longer compulsory. However we didn't call it Rugby but 'Rugger' at my school. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much back then but have happy memories of it looking back and think it did me a lot of good in terms of discipline, team work, etc. What are your memories of school and college sport, compulsory or otherwise? Did you find it a waste of time or a necessary part of 'character building'?

I enjoyed tennis in school very much. Nobody forced me or otherwise.
nb1y0.jpg

Years later, I still play the sport like as if I'm still in high school.
I don’t know about building character or any philosophy....
except this sport & cycling has made it possible for me to eat tons
of chocolate brownies & malts & not gain weight.
About the only physical handicap at 60+ years later is a
sore muscle from too much activity. An ice bath usually cures it.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I enjoyed tennis in school very much. Nobody forced me or otherwise.
nb1y0.jpg

Years later, I still play the sport like as if I'm still in high school.
I don’t know about building character or any philosophy....
except this sport & cycling has made it possible for me to eat tons
of chocolate brownies & malts & not gain weight.
About the only physical handicap at 60+ years later is a
sore muscle from too much activity. An ice bath usually cures it.
Very nice post. Thank you. This thread has made me want to go back to playing regular sport in the New Year.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
You probably know that if you haven’t been playing regular sports, it would be best
to start in moderation.

Your muscles will thank you.
And hopefully you will continue to enjoy it in the coming years.
Wise advice warmly received. Thank you.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yesterday's 10 mile hike over extremely muddy fields and through woods certainly evoked memories of the obligatory 'cross country' yomp at school.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Seems ridiculous to me, but if it saves some kids the time I was forced to waste on games "lessons", I'm all behind it! ;)
I agree with both thoughts really. At one level it does seem ridiculous and it will get the 'political correctness gone mad commentators' worked into a low-level hysteria.

Edward

Bartender
I agree with both thoughts really. At one level it does seem ridiculous and it will get the 'political correctness gone mad commentators' worked into a low-level hysteria.

Indeed- most of them the same people as will be the first to round on the school for allowing it if such an accident were to happen.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The recent spring showers are a reminder of the wet afternoons spent on the sports field as rain was rarely allowed to stop play unless very heavy or accompanied by lightning and thunder.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In my town the baseball/softball field had a dirt road going thru the outfield -- not a warning track, but an actual dirt road. When it rained this road turned into a muddy trench that would stop the ball dead. The infield was also all dirt, and it took very little rain to turn it into a mudbath. There was no tarp, so once the drops began to fall it got very entertaining very fast.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I loathed games and PT at school, we had to do it about 4 times a week at least and on one day of the week we had it in the morning and afternoon. I was good at running & cross country and was "volunteered" to join the school team in races with other schools. Saying no in those days was not an option. The film "Kes" has a sports/PE scene in it which is/was very true of it's time.

Edward

Bartender
I loathed games and PT at school, we had to do it about 4 times a week at least and on one day of the week we had it in the morning and afternoon. I was good at running & cross country and was "volunteered" to join the school team in races with other schools. Saying no in those days was not an option. The film "Kes" has a sports/PE scene in it which is/was very true of it's time.

Did you ever see The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner? I love the ending in that; your post stirred a memory of having watched it last a coupel of years ago.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Did you ever see The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner? I love the ending in that; your post stirred a memory of having watched it last a coupel of years ago.

Yes, I have seen that film, must watch it again sometime, (there were quite alot of similarities.)
Trouble was, as I progressed through secondary school, I became very tall and lanky and was a fast runner so they told me I was in the school team, if I had started to slow down they would have realised I was shirking which could have had painful consequences!:oops:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, I have seen that film, must watch it again sometime, (there were quite alot of similarities.)
Trouble was, as I progressed through secondary school, I became very tall and lanky and was a fast runner so they told me I was in the school team, if I had started to slow down they would have realised I was shirking which could have had painful consequences!:oops:

My experience of school was that sport was, in many ways, valued more than academic achievement. This was why I continued with it into my A Level year. My form master at that time, for example, told me that it didn't matter what I did at university as long as I 'got through the work'. He was always cheering me on the touchline, however.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
To the thread's early question, I found sports in school, at their best - with a good, engaged gym teacher or coach - could help one learn some lessons about life - competition, sportsmanship, teamwork, strategy, etc. - but those experiences were the exception and, in general, it was drudgery with a good mix of stupid activities with some average to petty coaches and gym teachers that I was glad I could opt out of when I was a senior in high school.
I know this is a basic question but when does one become a senior in high school in the US?
Is it the final year or final two years for example?

In the US, the senior year is the last year of high school (and the last year of college - same name for both). One is usually about 17 / 18 in their senior year of high school.

That said, while my school allowed seniors "in good standing" (had to have a certain grade point average and not be on any discipline reports and maybe some other stuff) to opt out of gym class - that was far from a universal standard. Each school or school district has its own policy.

In high school, "seniors" are those in the 12th grade, their last year of compulsory school.

In college or university, it's basically the same, only classification is typically based on the number of credits one has earned. So one could have enough credits to be classified as a "senior", but not be on track to graduate at the end of that school year, requiring additional years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic