Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School and college sports

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have some sympathy with what Edward has said because, yes, there was too much emphasis on sport when I was at school. However looking back on the overall experience, I'm glad it was an all-male environment because boys/young men learn better as a group and with older men as instructors. This includes learning sensitivity and respect for others: seeing men as role models with these characteristics is very important. It's a bit off-topic, but I don't think co-education is a positive force at all.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I was discussing all this with an American friend around my age who mentioned that his Football team (at his all-boys and apparently progressive high school in the Midwest) was predominantly African American and that other sports were polarised along self-selecting and fairly stereotypical racial lines with Tennis 99% White and Basketball 99.9% Black. Only wrestling, it seems, was 50:50 for some reason. ... I know race seems (from a trans-Atlantic perspective - and I'm not saying we're perfect] to permeate everything in American life, but this type of division outside of the Deep South simply hadn't occurred to me.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I remember several times having to write out lines for my Geography master for misbehaving in his class - and once having to run around the Rugger fields for same reason. Something about that subject and that master brought out the worst in me.
Frankly the punishments were for farting loudly in his classes. ...

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Ha Ha, very good, like it. :) That sort of thing always reduced our classes to a halt with everyone trying not to laugh including the master who tried to keep order, culprit was ordered out of the room and all the windows opened.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Ha Ha, very good, like it. :) That sort of thing always reduced our classes to a halt with everyone trying not to laugh including the master who tried to keep order, culprit was ordered out of the room and all the windows opened.
Yes, this was one of the advantages of going to a boys' boarding school. It was something we did right the way through to sixth form and A Level year (16-18 years old). The question is whether farting in class counted as a sport? I remember another occasion when I did this my History master said 'I think it's nature's way of opening the window'. The Geography master I mentioned was a perfect 'victim' because he went red with embarrassment. His punishments were essentially light hearted and we did get along well despite it. On hearing about my escapades in the Geography class, my form tutor actually congratulated me!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

zmavic.jpg

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, this was one of the advantages of going to a boys' boarding school. It was something we did right the way through to sixth form and A Level year (16-18 years old). The question is whether farting in class counted as a sport? I remember another occasion when I did this my History master said 'I think it's nature's way of opening the window'. The Geography master I mentioned was a perfect 'victim' because he went red with embarrassment. His punishments were essentially light hearted and we did get along well despite it. On hearing about my escapades in the Geography class, my form tutor actually congratulated me!

Sounds like your schooldays were quite fun, did you get time to do any proper lessons what with all those japes going on ? :)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks.
One exception that comes to mind
is the word armour.

I think you'll find that it is 'Armor' on your side of the Pond, as in (for example) the 37th Armored Regiment.

Perhaps you're thinking of 'Amour', which is a quite different thing. ...

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It's an unwritten rule that's blowing in the wind! :D

That would have been a perfect answer. In fact my House Master merely laughed drily and admitted that I was right.

Some of the masters - my form tutor in my final year especially- were as flatulent as the boys.

One of the reasons for this was probably the diet: lots of spinach, broccoli, etc. And baked beans, as far as I can remember, just about every day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21