Schott 370 Duke Oiled Roughout Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Mrfrown, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Mrfrown

Mrfrown New in Town

Hey all, this is my first post outside of the What Jacket Are You Wearing Today thread. I wanted to share more about this totally sweet unlined jacket from Schott after seeing the reaction to a recent posting for one in the classifieds.

The rundown-
    Maker: Schott
    Model: 370 "Duke"
    Style: Classic Trucker or Highwayman style
    Composition: Unlined Oiled Roughout Steerhide
    Size: Medium (my specs 5'9" 170#, 40" chest, no beer belly)

Thoughts-
    I had been looking for a rough out jacket that I could afford. RRL and some smaller makers have offerings that go for well over $1000 used, and my budget isnt big enough to swing for them. Schott discounted this model when they introduced the newer 375 which has lined sleeves and a different cut (and possibly un-oiled leather?).

Pulling the sleeves on does require modest effort, but its very comfortable once on. The rough out is full of character and very robust. Interesting how different parts of the trim have different length nap, I've tried to show in pictures. I got hit with a light rain and it did fine, just had to rough the nap back up.

I'll update this thread with pics down the line as a get more use and break it in more.

Let me know if there's anything else I can share for your interest.

IMG-8206.jpg IMG-8208.jpg IMG-8209.jpg IMG-8211.jpg IMG-8213.jpg IMG-8227.jpg IMG-8242.jpg
    View attachment 212125

navetsea, willyto, marker2037 and 8 others like this.
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

What a great looking jacket!

Mrfrown likes this.
  3. Mrfrown

Mrfrown New in Town

Oh and here are a few outdoors

C3628A09-B93A-475C-8E74-B58CCBE039F2.jpeg B662CBE1-A4D6-4252-9A35-D0187DB881FD.jpeg B058D9F5-55A3-4495-ADC8-D2538371B9E5.jpeg

4. patrick_b

patrick_b One of the Regulars

I have a soft spot for the Schott Duke. Love the idea of a completely unlined, roughout jacket. Looks great on ya!

Mrfrown likes this.
  5. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I really like it! Great fit ad it looks rugged as Hell.

Mrfrown likes this.
  6. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

I've admired this jacket for a while now. Glad to see a thread dedicated to it. The jacket looks great on you, @Mrfrown. I'd like to get one myself.

Mrfrown likes this.
  7. Mrfrown

Mrfrown New in Town

Thanks @Gamma68 and all!

I would be interested to see more about roughout jackets in general. Perhaps I could alter the title of this thread or start a new one to invite more discussion. What do y’all think?

8. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

What's the difference, if any, between "roughout" and "suede"?

9. Mrfrown

Mrfrown New in Town

Both are the hair side of the hide, with the hair cut short. I think people generally use suede to refer to softer and/or shorter nap hides, and rough out to refer to tougher, often longer nap hides.

There is a chance with suede that they may split the hide to thin it, which increases softness and drape at the expense of durability. True full-thickness roughout should be just as rugged as any other leather, and all that texture can do an admirable job of hiding scapes and dings to the leather.

An easy example is comparing Red Wing shoe leathers- all are generally considered ready for rough wear, they just show the wear differently

10. Mrfrown

Mrfrown New in Town

Here is their Hawthorne Muleskinner worn vs new
    4B99F12A-1A5E-4A6F-A8F6-22BE220BAEA8.png 2DE7EF1E-2311-4C04-AEE3-71F92F024726.png

Here is their Oro Legacy worn vs new
    1036AD22-F50B-49FE-9273-8BD87B6040F0.jpeg 16E20460-98F8-4367-B46A-4E829156E2C7.jpeg

I’d love to see some good wear pictures on roughout jackets someone has gotten good use out of.

navetsea and MrProper like this.
  11. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Sure looks nice! Neat take on a very classic design.

12. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

"The majority of the time a more popular method is used where the leather is split and the upper grain is removed to reveal only the fuzzy, napped underside which then becomes visible on both sides of the fabric." It is not just the thinning that makes it less durable, it has to do with the removal of the upper grain layer which has the tightest collagen bundle. Even with full grain leather, the leather is always split to a thickness required e.g. You still require a certain thickness to make suede shoes.

Mrfrown likes this.
  13. Mrfrown

Mrfrown New in Town

@Blackadder thanks for the clarification! I had read that info a while back when I first started buying nice leather shoes- and forgot the particulars while remembering the gist

14. patrick_b

patrick_b One of the Regulars

I picked one up too thanks to this thread. Loving it so far especially at almost 40% off. just a couple left in xxl left.

Thanks for the heads up @Mrfrown.

Mrfrown likes this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

I guess, when it is called rough out then there must be smooth side/ grain side in. While suede is probably has no smooth/ finished side on the other side.