Schott 60's Cafe Racer Review - The Unsung Hero

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ton312

ton312

I must’ve missed this in the jacket o’ the day thread but that looks damn good to me!

Marc mndt likes this.
  2. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

@Marc mndt why on earth would you have sold that!? It looked like it fit you really well.

ton312 likes this.
  3. ton312

ton312

Well in his defense he didn’t sell it. Even better, he gave it away! It was a festivus miracle for monitor. And how the hell are ya PN? Haven’t heard or seen ya in awhile.

Claybertrand likes this.
  4. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I didn't :) I just put it under Monitor's Christmas tree.

5. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

Mark, to clarify, you classily placed this garment at the foot of Monitor's Festivus Pole right after completing the Festivus AIRING OF GRIEVANCES but before you engaged in the FESTIVUS FEATS OF STRENGTH!!!!!!!!!!

Really cool thing you did man and Monitor sooo loves this jacket.

6. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

That is nice.............

7. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

8. Rgcards

Rgcards One of the Regulars

Link to ebay auction? please?

9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Really bloody nice. Is the Schott Cafe 1 and 641XX a reimagining of this pattern?

Claybertrand likes this.
  10. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Looks awesome. As has been stated, the stitching does look denser and neater than most or any other Schotts that I have seen. The leather also looks sort of grey-ish. Is that just the lighting or is it actually that interesting grey color?

11. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

Seb, I think you're onto something but I think perhaps you have it backward. I read from Gail on the Schott Forum that the older Cafes are actually taken off of the older 641 patterns which seemed odd to me as I thought these CRs like Monitors PRE DATED the 641----but that's what she said. I think she was speaking more in relation to the pattern vintage though. Its known that Schott has undergone Pattern updates from time to time and I think she was maybe saying more that they were came from the same SIZING of the old 641s and hence would run smaller than tagged.

I can't say if design aspects were influenced or copied. I thought 641s and 141s were pretty much the same design wise but were different materials with the 141 being Naked Cow and the 641s Steer/Horse. And as I said, I thought both of these came well after Monitor's.

I may be missing the true call of your question man but I just read this Schott tidbit yesterday so I wanted to post whilst it's still fresh in my feeble mind!!! Sorry for any confusion :confused:

12. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

2 slant pockets, grains, what's not to love, extra good karma for @Marc mndt and congrats to @Monitor

Fonzie likes this.
  13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Thanks. My question was are the current 641XX (not the standard 641 which looks different) and the CAF1, archive patterns that reproduce this earlier jacket from the 1960's? Actually I think the CAF1 was a copy of a Beck jacket made by Schott. I had a 641XX (Japanese market only) and it was the same pattern as this. Size 44 fit like a 42. But I suspect it was a little wider in the middle and hem. I wonder why I sold it.

14. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wow! This is a really good story! :D

15. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

tenor.gif

Monitor, JMax and Fonzie like this.
  16. warrior-poet

warrior-poet New in Town

Great review, gorgeous jacket! Quintessential cafe... Good vibes all around.

Monitor likes this.
  17. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

Here is the evil twin brother in brown. Monitor pretty much said it all. Simplistic design, well built, very comfortable even though I thought was going to be tight at 22 ptp. Mine is a size 42 with some room to spare and I think I could fit into a 40 with the traditional second skin fit of a CR. The sleeve length is vintage so probably could use another inch there. And the body length is longer with the front drop than what I was expecting. The jacket sits at attention when zipped up, creates these creases on the neck, but I hit it with some conditioner and hoping everything settles in some.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jin431, AeroFan_07, handymike and 3 others like this.
  18. Monitor

Monitor

Excellent! But mine doesn't have a wind flap. Now my sadness knows no limits.

Carlos840 likes this.
  19. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

wait what???? Uh oh, different model. Mine has the white/brown label compared to the usual black/blue catcus label I see. Like I said, evil twin brother. Also, yours has branded wrist zips (ESKO I think I saw), mine are unbranded, but has the same glorious talon main zip. Although I bet your leather is better than this one. It's good, but heavy top coat. Or maybe that's a difference in black/brown on how it's processed. Showing some grain and soft, but nothing dreamy by any means.

Monitor likes this.
  20. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Interesting. Thurston Bros has some of these. they all have the flaps. Check if yours was cut out.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jin431 and AeroFan_07 like this.