Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 618hh. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

roadking04

Practically Family
There is a 42 on ebay right now I am drooling over. I think I need a 44. I’m a Schott novice and their sizing is all over the place. 40s that fit like 44. 42s like 46. 42s like 42. Drives me crazy.

I am no expert J, but I think you would rock a 42. You are a physically fit guy, I would go with actual size, or you might possibly size down for a true MC fit. I lost some weight and had a chest size of about 44 1/2". I went with a 46, plenty of room. I will see if any weight comes back, if not, I will be getting a 44.

It's the only jacket I wish I had a collection of.
Me too!

Plus, it’s an effin Perfecto. Everyone should have one or two in their collection.

Anyone who rides and has a few motorcycle jackets should own one. It is also a straight out "rock 'n roll"/ "punk" icon. I live in the rock'n roll capital and ride a Harley, it's a no-brainer for me.

My secret is walking around with a face that screams I will murder you and your entire family!!

Another great reason to get one.

roadking04

Practically Family
@dannyk, I agree with almost everything you said. You are on the money. Except for a few things.

And their HH while much thinner than LW or Vanson
Definitely thinner for sure, but I am not sure about the word much.

I get it, they aren’t really riding jackets,
I respectfully disagree. Thick "enough" leather, FULL action back, underarm footballs, #10 main zip, shorter front length, longer back length, and longer arms. I wear it in the 40's and 50's with no cold drafts to speak of.

Let's not forget the "rock/punk" aspect of the perfecto. These are the jackets you put pins and patches on, not a $2000 Japanese repo. These jackets kick even more ass when they are personalized. I would love to see some more pics of jackets like @dannyk. That's how you rock a 618!

And @Monitor is right, why spend the big bucks on a repo when you can get the real thing and beat the $hit out of it.
20201004_141254.jpg
20201004_141522.jpg
20201004_141545.jpg

dannyk

One Too Many
@dannyk, I agree with almost everything you said. You are on the money. Except for a few things.

Definitely thinner for sure, but I am not sure about the word much.

I respectfully disagree. Thick "enough" leather, FULL action back, underarm footballs, #10 main zip, shorter front length, longer back length, and longer arms. I wear it in the 40's and 50's with no cold drafts to speak of.

Let's not forget the "rock/punk" aspect of the perfecto. These are the jackets you put pins and patches on, not a $2000 Japanese repo. These jackets kick even more ass when they are personalized. I would love to see some more pics of jackets like @dannyk. That's how you rock a 618!

And @Monitor is right, why spend the big bucks on a repo when you can get the real thing and beat the $hit out of it.
View attachment 267602 View attachment 267603 View attachment 267604
well my point on riding jacket is more none of these are truly
Riding jackets by modern standards. Not Schott, Aero, Lewis, lost worlds, even most Vanson’s. In today’s world there’s padding and armor. You can totally wear a Schott to ride but my point was to counter some who think Vanson’s Comp. (which I own two of at the moment) or LWs hide somehow add more protection. They don’t. And some make ups just are so uncomfortable or unconventional. So don’t think I didn’t mean Schott couldn’t be worn or other brands are somehow better. I didn’t. And hell yeah the reason I own a Schott is punk rock. I’m sure you’ve seen my photos going around with all my buttons/badges. That’s why I say it has that perfect look. And the way they crease, age, and patina is exactly how those 50s-60s Schotts do. The 618/613 are something special. I don’t care if they aren’t the “best.” Cause they aren’t. Not by a long shot. But what they are is classic, beautiful and badass. I love my perfectos. I also stupidly traded away a 613SH I had and wish I could have back. Someone in the classified is selling the Horween blacked out one in my size. No one has bought it at least last I checked. I offered a trade should they accept. I would legit trade my brown cal, my unworn vanson chopper, and my Vietnam all original knits and mouton G-1 to get that.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
We need more pics of your jacket as it breaks in and gets more pins. I think the shiny leather and hardware give it the ultimate rock 'n roll edge/attitude.
I’m going to make a post about it when they arrive. But I’ll do a leaked version ahead of its scheduled release haha. But damn I have to give so much love and credit to Schotts Customer Service. Jerri is fucking amazing. Excuse the language. So since for the time being I have no 613, just my 618. Which I bought so I could have a collar. I’ve been thinking about adding stars. I can’t make up my mind if I want traditional silver or black. Want to mix it up and keep it punk rock. But I’m torn. I also have my 90s Vanson. I saw someone on grailed post a super similar jacket but they had gold/brass stars on it. I emailed Vanson and they said they didn’t make it with stars and don’t have any. So I email Jerri and explain all this to her. She says well we have silver, brass, black and antique brass. I asked for pictures and they said we don’t have any unfortunately. So I said can I send you pictures of my jackets and get your opinion. Jerri said they couldn’t make up their mind between silver and black either, but did say their antique brass matches the brass on my Vanson best. So they are sending me pairs of Silver, Black, and Antique Brass Stars, free of charge, not even shipping costs. Not to mention I emailed Tuesday evening everything was finalized Wednesday afternoon. When they arrive Im going to post my thanks to Schotts amazing service and do a poll silver or black?

Last edited:

roadking04

Practically Family
^ I vote silver all the way. Just my opinion. I thought about getting the stars for my 618 also. I have to see where my weight takes me(hopefully not back up). I might get a 44 if I can hold this weight. I would get the stars and a snap for the buckle. Then send it to Dena for some customizing.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks great! I think that m/c fit is pretty well spot on. I typically rode with a sweatshirt on anyway, so it would be perfect as it is.

I might enocurage you to get on the Schott forums and ask the tag question. It's a curious thing to me...

roadking04

Practically Family
I might enocurage you to get on the Schott forums and ask the tag question. It's a curious thing to me...

I did and I also received an answer from the Schott staff. I guess they get their hh from an Italian tannery, hence the "made in USA from imported materials" tag. I was under the impression, they always got their horse from Italy. They get their steerhide from the States and their steerhide jackets have an American flag tag.

My 2016 618hh has the flag on the lining.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I've got a 118, totally different leather obviously, but I love, love, love it. Sizing wise, 43 chest I went with the 40 and it's a perfect snug fit. I get just a tad pull on the biswing back in resting position, but I'd rather that then have an extra 2 inches in the chest. It got a little natural rain soak on the 2nd or 3rd wearing and that really softened it up. Again, way different leather, but probably some same principles.
I went on a Schott rampage and bought like 6 of them and like someone said the sizing is all over the place. Like them all for different reasons, but gave back a couple of them for fit issues. Now owning an Aero as well, it's cool to see the differences in cut (and sizings LOL). Just like jeans, they're going to wear different, and it's all about the journey anyway. But yeah, so far, bury me in my 118.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
There is a 42 on ebay right now I am drooling over. I think I need a 44. I’m a Schott novice and their sizing is all over the place. 40s that fit like 44. 42s like 46. 42s like 42. Drives me crazy.

There's a fit tool on the Schott website that has been pretty accurate for me. You enter your stats, including how you want the jacket to fit, and it gives you a size recommendation for the specific style.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Ok so I have enjoyed reading this thread in it's entirety over the last few days. "Roadking" I would say you made the right moves in both cases first the HH 46 then the 44! I am sort of going the same way for ease of riding and comfort for awhile. Like yourself I have some mid waist weight to loose so I picked up a steerhide 618 off the bay at about half the normal price to use. Once I get down to the correct size for an LW J-24 in a 44 in my closet then this will still probably hang around for "just in case" wear and for cold days with sweaters.

I just received this jacket today and I am pretty sure it will be a decent overall riding jacket. The leather is about 3.5 oz and comfortable. No pocket on the inside but the outside pockets will do for the wallet and phone. The lining should be just about perfect for Tennessee weather so no issue there. Generally speaking it's not bad. Now to trying to get back to skinny so those LW's will get more use!
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG

dannyk

One Too Many
^ I vote silver all the way. Just my opinion. I thought about getting the stars for my 618 also. I have to see where my weight takes me(hopefully not back up). I might get a 44 if I can hold this weight. I would get the stars and a snap for the buckle. Then send it to Dena for some customizing.
Got a thread going on my stats Roadking. Check it out.

roadking04

Practically Family
I just received this jacket today and I am pretty sure it will be a decent overall riding jacket. The leather is about 3.5 oz and comfortable. No pocket on the inside but the outside pockets will do for the wallet and phone. The lining should be just about perfect for Tennessee weather so no issue there. Generally speaking it's not bad. Now to trying to get back to skinny so those LW's will get more use!

Perfect fit Hog!! Looks spot on for you. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well these work as actual riding jackets. It should keep the cool mountain drafts out. The Schott 618/613 is the "blue collar worker" of riding jackets. They get the job done. I have yet to try the steer. Once my weight settles and I get the proper fitting 618, I am thinking about sending it out to Dena and get some "useable" inside pockets installed, a belt snap, and probably some stars put on. That would hopefully supe-up the 618 a bit.

dannyk

One Too Many
Perfect fit Hog!! Looks spot on for you. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well these work as actual riding jackets. It should keep the cool mountain drafts out. The Schott 618/613 is the "blue collar worker" of riding jackets. They get the job done. I have yet to try the steer. Once my weight settles and I get the proper fitting 618, I am thinking about sending it out to Dena and get some "useable" inside pockets installed, a belt snap, and probably some stars put on. That would hopefully supe-up the 618 a bit.
A belt snap would be nice.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Jumping on the 618HH train.

It's a great jacket. I stayed away from the Schott brand before because I've always thought it was just like All Saints but it is not, not the 618HH at least. It's a serious jacket. I got mine slightly used but knowing what the jacket is like now, I will have no issue paying full retail for the 618HH.

IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7081.JPG
IMG_7082.JPG

My jacket was from the 2022 production, and is about 24.75" back length. The front is just over 21", so not short that it looks cropped and not long that it needs a double zipper.

IMG_7094.JPG

The above pic also illustrate what I like about the 618HH the most. It's got one of the nicest back pattern design. "Y" shaped back panel giving the wearing the V/Y taper look without the actual discomfort of the taper. The 618HH is actually quite straight in the torso in dimensions, but looks very tapered. Compared to my Toys Mccoy Durable this is a major upgrade, I don't have to starve just to wear the damn jacket.

IMG_6218.jpg

The horsehide used on the 618HH is black all the way through, and thick pigment finish on the top. The leather is somewhere between 3oz to 3.5oz. When compared to my Vanson Comp Weight Highwayman, it is actually slightly thicker (most likely due to the thicker sleeve nylon).

Schott 618HH sleeve leather with nylon lining, 1.55mm, so I am guessing the leather is on average 3.25 oz thick. It is not stuffed with anything so it doesn't feel heavy in pounds but it is robust leather.
IMG_7151.JPG

Vanson Highwayman E Comp Weight, 1.45mm, leather with the nylon lining. The Vanson nylon feels a bit thinner by touch. I am guessing the current comp weight is about the same thickness as the current Schott horsehide, just different advertising in thickness. The Vanson do feel heavier in pounds, I think the hide is stuff with something, I can't pin point what is in it. Sort of like CXL weighs heavier at thinner thickness because all the oil and waxed stuffed inside.

IMG_7163.JPG

There is a shine to the Schott horsehide, yes. But I don't mind it. It's just a glossy paint they use. Schott HH vs Vanson CW:

IMG_7167.JPG

The current 618HH in my opinion is the best buy for my money. It doesn't have the fancy zips and luxury craftsmanship of the Japanese repros, but it has better pattern cutting that is easier to wear and still give better shape. The Schott 618HH is more expensive than the Vanson version but I think the material upgrades are worth the extra money. This jacket really blew my mind. Thanks Roadking for making this post and to MrFrown for posting all those videos on his 618, made me pull the trigger. The current 618HH is a very nice jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points