Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 641 Fit Questions

Kale

New in Town
Someone posted about the 641, figured I may as well too. This one's not broken in, still fresh off the rack.

You guys think this looks ok? Too small, too long, wrong cut for me, etc. I'm 5'9 w/ 36 chest 28 waist ~135lbs. Pretty skinny.

I ordered true to size, so 36. It feels well structured, but the armholes seem massive and bulky. Would you guys say that's just par for the course with Schott's underarm footballs? Will it look better with wear?

The armholes in general seem rather low, not sure if that's to be expected.

So, I'm just wondering if this should be a keeper or pass.

Attachments

• general fit pic.jpg
    general fit pic.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 649
  • zipped.jpg
    zipped.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 581
  • zipped closeup.jpg
    zipped closeup.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 820
  • sleeve.jpg
    sleeve.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 555
  • sleeve 2.jpg
    sleeve 2.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:

Kale

New in Town
It'll be just a fashion jacket btw. I'd appreciate any advice, it's my first proper jacket so I'm pretty excited. But nervous!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I found in this style that it looked better on me when I went down a size. I'm not sure if they make Schotts in the US market in 34, but you look like you're probably pretty young -- if so, you'll probably gain 20 lbs in the next ten years and fil it out nice, or even need to move up in size.

I'm almost 47 now, when I was in my 20s I weighed about 125 with a 29" waist. Finding stuff that fit and looked good on my frame was always a problem. Most of what I owned was at least a size large for me.

Kale

New in Town
I think they offer 34, but I suspect the sleeves may still be roomy. So if the shoulder seems fairly normal/correct now I may just keep this 36.

But I've considered throwing a Schott 530 or Vanson into the mix. I like the 641 better, but as its been said - fit is king.

RedWolf

New in Town
I have the 641. I think yours looks good. It will get better as it breaks in. There are some rolling techniques that I found speed up the process some. Schott's leather is heavy and it takes time. It's up to you if it's a keeper and what you want.

Attachments

• 20220213_105052.jpg
    20220213_105052.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 612
  • 20220213_105046.jpg
    20220213_105046.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 597
  • 20220213_105013.jpg
    20220213_105013.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 749

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These Schott riding jackets actually fit more closely as they break in. When new, the hides are almost like these plates of leather that hang off you. As it breaks in, the panels drape more to your frame, so I wouldn't size down.

The armholes feel bigger because they're made to work with or without the liner, but the footballs will ensure range of motion. If you want to skip the stiffness altogether, you can exchange this jacket for the 141, which is the same thing but made of naked cowhide. (A substantial hide, but not as stiff.)

Kale

New in Town
@RedWolf Your jacket's giving me hope! Tbf those sleeve creases alone are reason enough to warrant me keeping mine. But yeah - you can tell the cardboard-y stiffness resolved itself gracefully.

Kale

New in Town
@Aloysius That's actually really good to know - my previous experience has been jackets kinda sagging/bagging out. The leather here definitely feels much more substantial than a worn in AllSaints jacket lol. It's not overbearing though.

I'll try a 141 next week at the store for good measure, but this 641 is looking like the one.

Aloysius

@Aloysius That's actually really good to know - my previous experience has been jackets kinda sagging/bagging out. The leather here definitely feels much more substantial than a worn in AllSaints jacket lol. It's not overbearing though.

I'll try a 141 next week at the store for good measure, but this 641 is looking like the one.

The coated leather of the 6-series breaks in amazingly. You’ve made a good choice.

Compare the fit of my 613S the week I got it with just a month later. Even that early into break in, the panels started to hug me closely.

RedWolf

New in Town
There is a fit difference in the 141 vs thr 641 although I don't recall what that is. Perhaps someone could chime in that's had both models.

I believe the 641 was the more trim of the two. I believe Schott had something on their website regarding this.

sunset

New in Town
@Kale I think the fit is good, even with a little room.

Yes, 641 is Schott's slim chassis version of the 141. I have a 141L in 42, but narrower me would have worn a 641 all the way.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
There is a fit difference in the 141 vs thr 641 although I don't recall what that is. Perhaps someone could chime in that's had both models.

I believe the 641 was the more trim of the two. I believe Schott had something on their website regarding this.
141 will fit like almost 2 full sizes bigger than a 641. It's crazy how big the ptp is compared to the tag size. Size 40 has something like 24 or 24.5 ptp. I think, I may be wrong, but the shoulder gussets also seem to be a tad bit longer on the 141, or at least they wear that way. I was getting the classic batwing look so in addition to tightening up the ptp, I sewed down the gussets to make it wear like a one piece back. It's funny because every time I post a pic of me wearing that jacket, everyone is like what is that jacket? Because it's pretty much unrecognizable from the original (boxy cut, etc.)

I spent about $200 with a tailor to turn my size 40 141 into a 37 LOL. Probably would have been better off just selling the jacket and rebuying the right size.

The 641 originally posted looks great though. Don't think you can do much better off the shelf

The main difference though is the 141 has that dreamy 100 series leather. Not good for riding, but great for fashion. I don't think there's much better at that price point if you're looking for a matte finish and aren't a fan of grainy leather. Super soft right out of the gate, very pliable, nice creases form. Basically like super thick lamb skin.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Someone posted about the 641, figured I may as well too. This one's not broken in, still fresh off the rack.

You guys think this looks ok? Too small, too long, wrong cut for me, etc. I'm 5'9 w/ 36 chest 28 waist ~135lbs. Pretty skinny.

I ordered true to size, so 36. It feels well structured, but the armholes seem massive and bulky. Would you guys say that's just par for the course with Schott's underarm footballs? Will it look better with wear?

The armholes in general seem rather low, not sure if that's to be expected.

So, I'm just wondering if this should be a keeper or pass.
For a racer, I think it's a size too big. If you can go down a size, probably better off (unless you think you'll gain 10-15lbs in the future). Also, if you're not wearing for moto riding, I think Schott has better patterns for fashion racers and sometimes those go to XS which might be a perfect fit for you.

Kale

New in Town
@Aloysius Wow, that transformation is night and day. I can see the grain coming through! Does the horsehide ever soften up like the 141 might?

@RedWolf Weird question - does your 641 have the lower map pocket? Strangely enough mine is missing it lol.

Kale

New in Town
@TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Thanks for the insight man. Good to know tailoring is always an option. I'll try on a few 141s at the store, but as appealing as the 141 sounds, it might still wear me instead of the other way around!

If only the 641xx existed around these parts. Or a 530 with a 1 piece back.... one can dream

Aloysius

@TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Thanks for the insight man. Good to know tailoring is always an option. I'll try on a few 141s at the store, but as appealing as the 141 sounds, it might still wear me instead of the other way around!

If only the 641xx existed around these parts. Or a 530 with a 1 piece back.... one can dream

I think there might be a misunderstanding here. The size difference between the 100 series and 600 series for cafe racers would be analogous to the one for cross-zip Perfectos: In other words, the naked cowhide is the same pattern but graded one size bigger, so a 38 in 118 is (exactly) a 40 in a 618, etc.

So if you wanted to try the 141 and have the same fit, you would simply get a 141 one size down from your 641.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
@Kale I think it looks good.

If you size down you may find it does some flaring out behind the shoulders especially when you have it zipped. If you never plan to zip it up, could make for a cleaner look to size down. No easy answers, but your preference can guide the way :)

Here’s my 141 worn unzipped in a trim 38 (or 40 in 641). I was always conscious of the bat wing effect from the gussets, which is only enhanced by the underarm footballs. It wasn’t too bad when unzipped but I didn’t like to wear it zipped up.
1644963109682.jpeg

1644963037563.jpeg

1644963064811.jpeg
1644962779090.jpeg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I think there might be a misunderstanding here. The size difference between the 100 series and 600 series for cafe racers would be analogous to the one for cross-zip Perfectos: In other words, the naked cowhide is the same pattern but graded one size bigger, so a 38 in 118 is (exactly) a 40 in a 618, etc.

So if you wanted to try the 141 and have the same fit, you would simply get a 141 one size down from your 641.
Yes, exactly this. Same tag size in 141 fits one size bigger than 641.

@Kale if you have access to the store or somewhere you can try on, I'd go for Caf1. Everything you want and more.

I used to have a 641xx. I really, really liked it, but I was redundant in black racers. You can easily find one in your size on Buyee, probably at a good price (i.e. sub $400). Probably need a 36 in that one.

Also, with your body type, I'd be on the hunt for an Aero racer. Quite frequently they pop up on our classifieds. Better than same price as a new Schott and I would say next level good. Probably a 38 in the board racer version will do you right.

Tailor is last resort. Too many jackets out there you can keep trying on to get it dialed in. Tailor is a gamble. For instance, even though he nailed recutting the jacket, it's a bit sloppy with missed stitched holes and some other details. Totally acceptable for most people but not us fanatics LOL. I would never tailor another jacket again unless it was truly a grail kind of thing where I know I have no other shot of finding a better one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk